How much of Britax Frontier can hang off?

fyrfightermomma

I am trying to install our Frontier in my parents Chrysler T & C (05). Those captains seats are tiny!

I left the owners manual in my car (i just went to switch cars at their house and borrow theirs and left mine there) and we got a new comp. and I can't download the manual at britaxusa.com either

So anyone know how much can hang off? Please tell me its NOT like the GN and has to be completely on!!

ETA: I looked in the vehicle owner manual and it says nothing about reclining the vehicle seat when installing a child restraint. I reclined the back of the captains chair one notch just to give it a little more recline. Anyone know if this is OK with this car??

Last edited:
ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Frontier manual doesn't say anything about having to have the entire base on the vehicle seat. In fact, it appears to hang of the seat somewhat in their pics. Britax hasn't ever had a rule about the entire base being on the seat for any of their car seats, as far as I know. So, I would guess that you can follow the general rule of at least 80% of the base on the vehicle seat with less than 20% of the base hanging over the edge.

If your vehicle manual doesn't say anything about reclining the seat, it's probably ok to recline the seat a notch or two, as long as you get a nice tight install. Some vehicle manufacturers actually suggest that you recline their seats a little bit. In the Frontier supplement, Britax suggests to recline the seat, but only as an installation tool (recline vehicle seat, install car seat, unrecline vehicle seat).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:happy-wavehello:
Hi DaniannieB!

Yup, I checked my FR manual with a magnifying glass after I thought I read someone said it can't hang off the edge, but couldn't find word one about it (so either that person or I mistook the Nautilus directions, which do NOT allow any overhang) for the FR directions?

Anyway, mine hangs off a little, that's why I checked :whistle:

<nodding with advice about seat recline>

:)

fyrfightermomma

Thanks.

This is the next car we are gonna get and since my daughter will be in the Frontier by fall probably I wanted to make sure it fit or otherwise return it

About 10% hung off once I reclined the seat a little, but got a really nice install. I wasn't able to put the seat upright again though after, so it was reclined two notches.

Those seats are tiny though!

lovinwaves

My Frontiers hang off the edge, even in my large Captains chairs. You can see it here in my DD's seat. I noticed when I was installing it, that I had to put pressure on the back of the seat to keep it from slipping forward anymore. The first time I tightened the LATCH the seat was hanging off considerably more. I loosened the LATCH and tried again. It's a PITA that the carseat won't sit by itself in the vehicles seat while tightening. The base is so curved and smooth, that my leather vehicle seats acted like a slide.

DSC01670.jpg

Heather98012

Interesting, but good to know that they can hang off a bit. Now, in both my dh's '01 Toyota Sequoia & in my '05 Hyundai Tuscon, they fit completely on the seat.

I wonder if it's because neither are installed in captain's chairs?! Dunno...but glad that it works either way, as who knows what will happen in out next cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC