News WARNING ~ Child dead... 4yo with SN left in an SUV for 17 hours

ADS
U

Unregistered1

You don't forget a kid for that long. You just don't. I am in charge of 10-20 children every day, transporting them around the building and taking them on field trips. You don't forget a child, and especially not for SEVENTEEN HOURS. Once, a little girl hid from us and we got back to the classroom and realized she wasn't there, she had stayed in the gym with the other class and someone had miscounted. It was recitified in five minutes. You don't forget a kid.

sunnymw

Wow... and the part about GOING OUT THAT NIGHT, but coincidentally taking the OTHER vehicle? Yeah... I buy that... not.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I only have four, and I'm constantly doing a headcount! This whole situation sounds fishy to me.

-Nicole.

littleangelfire

I know its a little different - but whenever I work one of the sunday school/nurseries at church, I'm consistently counting heads every 5-10 minutes, especially when we go outside. There's just too much that can happen when there's 1-2 adults in charge of 5-11 kids.

I can not imagine not noticing if one of my children wasn't in the house! No matter HOW Many I had. I mean, they're all your kids right?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
No way, no how can you put your entire family to bed for the night and not notice that one bed is empty.

I also find it fishy that a 4 year old was unable to make his was out of the car on his own when he got left behind.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
"According to the Cark County's Department of Family Services, the Rimer family's history with Child Protective Services dates back to 1988. The department notes multiple prior contacts though at this point the exact number is unclear as staff works to glean additional information from archived records.

DFS reports that only the 1988 allegation was substantiated.

The most family's most recent contact with CPS was closed in May of 2007, according to the department, due to lack of evidence supporting the accusation. "

mommy2env

I think the people who reported these parents must be pissed. I know I would. It took this childs life for them to take action...

Mommy2Marcus

I agree. People suck. You do not forget a child for 17 hours. You just don't.

:yeahthat:

I just do not believe that you can forget your child for 17 HOURS! NO WAY! I freak if I loose Marcus for a minute! I also do not buy going out later & taking the other car for gas purposes. Also HOW do you put your children to bed & NOT notice one missing! I have to agree that there is something more to this story & that it sound fishy to!

However it is SO sad that that little boy had to die for people to take action against this family, exspecially if they had a history with Child Protection Services!

Mommy2Five

:crying:
How in the HE!! do you not notice your 4 y/o missing ALL DAY??
If that's not the definition of neglect, I can't think of one. :(

courtfrog2

I'm sorry but this happens way too often with CPS. I always say... it will take a child dead for them to do something! Happens ALL THE TIME with CPS. They don't do anything about it when someone calls CPS. I've seen it in my own family. We've called CPS on my stepkids mom and boyfriend, even brought the kids to counseling because of stuff they were saying and the counselor reported to CPS. My mom's reported, neighbors have reported, and the list goes on and on and on. We get letters back from CPS (form letters mind you) that say there is not enough evidence. They have never visited the house unexpectively. They have only visited once and gave her 2 days warning... basically to get her boyfriend out of the house so it didn't look like he was living there!!!! WHATEVER! I pray all the time that nothing happens to my stepkids!

This is a prime example of error on CPS. Poor little boy. My heart goes out to him. They even reported that they thought nothing of him being gone because they assumed that he was just sleeping somewhere. No 4 year old goes and hides and sleeps for 9 hours during the day!

I'm so mad at this story!

arly1983

I know all parents are human but there were 6 other children in that home that night (one was gone) and you can't tell me that NONE of those six other children did not notice that the youngest child was not there especially when they went to bed. So out of 8 people, nobody misses him through supper and bedtime. Right. Something stinks.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Those parents suck. I hope they lose the rest of their kids. :mad:

Like Nicole, I've got 4 and I'm constantly doing headcounts...yesterday I about flipped out because the kids came up to me and asked, "Mom where is Reilly?" and it took me a second, but then I remembered that he went over to his friend Lauren's house to play for an hour.

You don't "forget" where a child is for SEVENTEEN hours...these people are flat out LYING or were on drugs or something.:thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC