Question How do you get blood out of harness straps?

jdubsm

My son got a bloody nose in his Regent today and the straps are covered in blood. Any ideas on getting it out? I was going to try sponging it out with water and baking soda but wondered if someone had another safe trick that would work. Of course we were home the entire day with no issues but as soon as we get in the car and in an area that I can't immediately stop, the blood starts gushing.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have no idea. But if you find something that works let me know so I can get the blood stains out of the RN harness.

sb518

I know hydrogen peroxide gets blood out of fabric but I'm not sure how safe it is to use on a harness...

my2kidsSafe

i know saline solution for contacts gets blood stains out of clothes. I can't see it do any harm to straps since you can put it in your eyes.

sunnymw

Oxyclean, too, but not sure how safe it would be either...

I know my SR had cleaning instructions in the manual, saying what was safe and what wasn't... maybe it's in your manual too :)

brooklynsmommy

Simple Green gets blood out. I don't know if you can use it on your straps though. It's biodegradable and non toxic. But I'm still not sure.

solmama

Yes, but the fragrance they put in Simple Green just about knocks my socks off. I couldn't imagine putting it, even diluted, on my child's harness straps and then expecting him/her to ride in it. We use Aerospace 303 cleaner...just as effective and it's dye and fragrance free with virtually the same ph as baking soda.

You could always buy new straps if they won't come clean.

Good luck!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hydrogen peroxide should work like a charm, but I'm not sure how safe it is. I don't *think* it would damage the harness - we used to use it on all kinds of fabrics back when I went to homebirths and was in charge of clean-up and it never damaged anything. But I'm really not sure enough to say. :(

jdubsm

I called Britax and they only said Wool lite or something similar. They wouldn't/couldn't recommend any other thing to get blood out. I guess I'll give it a try along with the Saline solution and then baking soda and see if that works. I guess if not then I'll buy another harness. The blood spot would drive me crazy to look at everyday.

Thanks for all the tips!!

Kat_Momof3

I say use baby wipes to get it as clean as you can while you await new straps... aka... call Britax and order new straps.

valleyfam

Just for future reference my son gets terrible nose bleeds. I have always been able to get blood out of his straps (tan Regent) with baby wipes. I don't know if it will work for you since the blood has dried but in the future as soon as you get the nose bleed under control wipe the straps really good with baby wipes re harness and head off.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC