strange school situation

U

Unregistered

Okay...I am NOT, I repeat NOT, looking to start a theological war here, but I found myself in a strange situation that I need help with.

My kids go to a parochial school.
My son's 1st grade class is going on a field trip this upcoming week.
Most of the kids in there are 6-7 yrs old, and according to our state's laws, ALL of them need to be in a boosters. (Although I would say that only 1/2 of them are.)

However, the teacher (an older woman in her 60's) said that we didn't need to send them in because......
".....We need to put our trust in God. A booster seat isn't going to make a difference, it's all in His hands anyways......"

Now, I am a Believer (in the Lord), but I'm ALSO a firm believer in child passenger safety, and I was flabbergasted! I truly didn't know how to respond to her. She's very 'old school' and I have heard the "Well WE all survived" line from her on numerous occasions -
( To which I responded with the "Yeah - but we thought asbestos was safe, too") and now I think I've been branded a "know-it-all", because she certainly doesn't go out of her way to talk to me anymore.

I am not looking to start a "holy war" here, but I would love to hear from other Believers (both kinds!) as to how to deal with this situation.
Thanks! -
Puzzled

ADS

Dillipop

I personally would send my child's seat in anyway and tell him he had to use it. I would tell the teacher I trust God, but not the other people on the road and would feel better if my child were in his seat (esp since it is the law.) I would hope she would follow your wishes. You could always call her supervisor and speak to him about the situation and see if he has any suggestions, too. Good luck, I know it won't be easy, but you should definitely stand your ground on your child using his seat and hope the teacher comes around.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I don't have much time to post right now. I've asked my friend, Crystal, to reply to you as well, if she gets a chance. This teacher's actions are wrong on a number of levels (both spiritual and legal).

I want to add that I would NOT just trust the teacher to use the booster, whether your son "insists" or not. I would definitely either excuse my child from the field trip or tag along to "help out" as a chaperone.

Actually, let me back up a step. What kind of vehicle are these kids going to be riding in? If it is a big, yellow school bus, they actually don't need boosters. If they're riding in vans or cars, then they need to be properly restrained using a 5-point harness or booster and lap/shoulder belt.

NHTSA's School Bus Safety Program

skaterbabs

Remind her of the New Testement verses on honoring the "king" of the land and so forth (off the top of my head I can't recall the references.) The passege I'm thinking of basically says to follow human law as if it's God's law as long as the human law doesn't contradict God's law.

U

Unregistered

Parents are driving -cars, van, etc.
You BET I'm going as a chaperone!!!
I'm also going to volunteer to take as many kids as I can fit in MY van (and we have LOTS of spare boosters! )- I have 4 kids, and we have extras in DH's car! :)

Yeah - I think I'm going to have to go "above her head" with this one.

U

Unregistered

Hi--Ulrike asked me to pop in

First, I agree completely with you that trusting in the Lord is not a justification for leaving our brains at the curb--He has given us a sound mind. Second, I agree with the poster who said not to expect your son to be responsible for his booster seat--that's not a fair thing to expect from such a young child.

I would encourage you to go above the teacher to whoever is above her and bring with you a copy of the legal requirements for your state. They are taking on HUGE liability if they take all of those children without appropriate booster seats. At the same time, if other parents are willing to take that risk and the school is willing to take that liability then there's little you can do about it, but you need to make sure that the leaders will honor your demand for a booster seat.

One thing most people don't realize, the word "demand" is a very big legal word and if you do anything in writing (and I'd put something in his file for the school if I were you) I would state very clearly, "Demand is hereby made that during events where my child leaves the school grounds in the care of teachers/chaperones he will be properly buckled into a properly installed safety booster seat." I know it sounds harsh but should this ever come to a legal issue if you don't have that wording you may be in a position of not getting proper attention.

I'm glad you're planning on going on the field trip--in the end you're the best for making sure he's all buckled up *thumbs up*

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for the advice -I will make sure I get a note in his file 'demanding' that he ride in a booster at all times.
Luckily, about half of the time they do take a bus for field trips, but for the other half you can bet I'll be tagging along!

The funny thing is that the teacher doesn't want sibs. to come. -Too bad! LOL! I'm draging my whole crew, and we'll 'hang out' in the parking lot if she doesn't want my rambunctious toddlers along! -

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
If you're planning on taking all 4 of your own kids how many other kids do you intend to put in one car?

I'm catholic and i hear this stuff all the time. I actually got given a penance for wearing a seat belt and refusing to believe strongly enough in the loard to go without it. (i belive in god but i'm not taking any unnecessary chances) He also questioned how much i spent on a luxury (my britax car seat) as opposed to how much i give to the church.

Do you have a list of other parents phone numbers or emails? If i were you i'd try to get ahold of as many as i could and let them know the situation and what the laws are in the state. Enough support from parents and she cant say 'no boosters' and of course the local law officers could be asked to come speak to the principle about what would happen if they were caught breaking the booster seat laws.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's sad. We are very strong believers and I believe God gave us brains for a reason, to use them! We can't do stupid things and expect God to keep us from harm, that's irrespnsible and definitely not something I'm teaching my children. There is a reaction for every action. :( I too remember the passage where it says render to Ceasar what is Ceasars and to God what is Gods. Basically you're here, you still have to follow the laws as long they don't contradict what God told us to do and I'm pretty sure seatbelts don't fit in there. lol We're planning on sending our kids to church school as well so I guess I'd better stay a SAHM so I can chaperone. ;)

You might want to mention, if one of the parents driving gets into an accident and those children get hurt and aren't properly restrained according to the laws, I believe that parent would be held responsible. I wouldn't want that on my head!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I would tell her God gave us the knowledge to use booster seats & you the parent heart to know what's best for your own child -- & if I were you, I wouldn't let my child go with anyone who isn't going to use a booster ... I'd find some other way to transport my kid myself or I'd find some other activity for my child to take part in -- I'd also call the police to report her anonymously (with vehicle information of course) *SIGH* :(

OK, I'm editing, but not removing what I already wrote ... I'm "hot" about this one, LOL ... I'm just editing because I read further down that parents are driving & you're taking your own child -- GREAT :) I'd still keep the police number handy to call in everyone who isn't following the booster law :eek:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I considered suggesting you call too , but some parents choice not to send boosters or dont us them in thier own cars. It doesnt seem fair that the poor parent who gets stuck driving these kids gets the ticket.

If i were you i'd make a friendly little notice to all the parents that says something along the lines of "please dont forgot on such and such a date we're going on a field trip. If your child is under 8 years old, we need you to drop off your child's booster seat in such and such a location. If you need assistance or have question please call such and such a phone number" it may not get everyone to bring a booster but it will help remind the clueless ones to leave them. or create a meaner announcement that says that if the kids are under 8 and dont bring a booster seat they wont be able to ride in the vans and therefor cant go unless the parent wants to drive the child themselves. take your pick sugar or vinegar. :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think that's a good idea, if the principal allows it (which considering it's the law, I don't see why they wouldn't). I've taken kids in my car in unapprov ed seats before (before I was in the know) and NEVER again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC