1 year old in car accident-YIKES! OH MY!

Oh where do I begin? My sister's friend who I talk to online was in a bad accident this past week with her 1 year old. She just turned 1 in June and is over 20 pounds(25 pounds about). She had her in(not sure of the seat)-my sister says it is a graco or evenflo and of course chest clip at belly.
The lil' girl has not stopped crying and whining since Sunday when the accident happened. They said there are no internal injuries, except that she is just sore.

I am so upset. I have sent this girl all the ERF info and all my carseat saftey info and she had the attitude--well, I was forward facing earlier, at least I did 1 year and 20 pounds. She is the same age as me-25.

Well, now she e-mails my sister about her accident my sister says, You need to replace your seats(one was occupied, one wasn't). She said...OH I didn't know it. they have been using the crash seat since Sunday!

So, I just sent her all the info about graco and evenflo about how you MUST replace seats and my sister sent her my ERF and your child would of been ok if she was Rear facing!(the figured it out her neck is sore, evertime her neck is touched or she moves her neck she cries)!

Where is that brick wall I can beat my head against??????

I hope she listens now!:eek:

ADS

Aurinia

oh no!:(
at least they're all alive and not seriously hurt! i do hope she listens now... a shame she had to learn the hard way though ...

ginny4

oh my. i'm so glad she is alive! that is so scary. i sure hope she listens now & takes the car seat safety seriously

I know I so need a brick wall! LOL!
I just wanted to cry when I heard that. And even the doctors told her she has a sore neck from being jerked forward(though they didn't tell her why isn't she rearfacing)!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How sad. :(

Is mom going to listen now and turn her back rf'ing? That poor little girl, she could very well have neck problems the rest of her life now. Although all things considered, it does sound like she's lucky a sore neck is the worst of her injuries. :(

Mommy2Five

brickwall.gif

I'm glad her DD is relatively unharmed, maybe she'll take CPS issues more seriously from now on
crossfinger-1.gif

Kat_Momof3

did they x-ray the baby's neck? I would be terrified about that amount of pain.

if nothing is broken, I'd have her straight to the chiropractor for an adjustment.

I honestly have no idea what they x-rayed and what not. I hope they at least did the x-rays(pretty sure they did) and I know if it was my child she would be at a chiropractor.

My sister hasn't heard from her to see how she is doing.

Debn31

That makes me sad, too :(
Ever since I have started talking to people, though, about car safety, it seems like most don't want to listen.
Are people always this defensive about these issues???
I found out what we were doing wrong, and I'm GRATEFUL I know better now, and feel very blessed (and very lucky) that nothing happened to my boys before I knew more facts.

thepote

Poor baby!
I had a mom tell me she turned their baby FF at a week before they turned one b/c it's "not going to kill them" :mad:

People dont understand crash forces and what it does to tiny child bodies :(

Update: Baby was in the hospital this weekend-they are trying to figure out whey she is still crying!

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! I know why! She was FF way to early, and that poor lil' babies body hurts!

I told my sister to tell her to take the baby to a chiropractor!

Hitting head against brick wall.

*NOTE: this is not my sister, but my sister's friend.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Update: Baby was in the hospital this weekend-they are trying to figure out whey she is still crying!

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! I know why! She was FF way to early, and that poor lil' babies body hurts!

I told my sister to tell her to take the baby to a chiropractor!

Hitting head against brick wall.

*NOTE: this is not my sister, but my sister's friend.

Oh my, how incredibly sad and awful. :(

I was telling dh about this the other day and saying to him I can only imagine how incredibly guilty I would feel if I turned my kids ff'ing right on their 1st b-day despite knowing how much safer they were rf'ing and then got in a crash. This little girl had been ff'ing for less than 2wks. If only she'd been born later in the month she still would've been rf'ing when this happened. It's so very very sad. :crying:

I really hope your sister's friend has the good sense to have put the little girl back rf'ing. That little girl has severe enough injury without risking going through another collision ff'ing.

southpawboston

isn't it at least possible that there can be emotional trauma from the accident and that can be causing the crying? is she crying all the time? staying up at night? eating well? doing all the things she used to? does she only cry when doing certain things? is she having trouble sleeping? does she have to take rides in the car regularly? what type of accident was it? these are the kinds of questions that can help pinpoint what's going on. i know of adults who have developed phobias of cars after accidents. i can only imagine that a 1yo may have no other way to express such a fear other than crying... especially if being forced to ride in a car after the fact. :twocents:

i think everyone is just assuming that the crying has to do with being FF at 1 yo and aren't even entertaining the idea that it could be caused by something else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC