Need advice about severe carsick 18 month old TMI

my2kidsSafe

We recently turned my 18 month old son forward facing due to severe carsick issues. He was throwing up on almost everytrip longer than 15 minutes for months now. I am so sick of cleaning vomit out of a carseat. Thank god we have a MA and an extra cover. We even started travelling with a back up scenera just so we didn't have to clean up on the side of the road. Dh insisted we turn him around for our trip to Sesame place, as it was a 6 hour trip and not having the option to wash the seat cover while we were gone. We were still expecting him to throw up but thought this way it would be easier to catch it in a towel and have less mess. Well low and behold the entire trip there and back he did not get sick. Now dh is insisting not to turn him back rear facing like i intended to, as this is much more comfortable for him. The poor thing dreaded the car so bad before. He would scream and cry everytime we went near it. Now he is asking to drive constantly. I did put him rear facing when we got home hoping he would of outgrown it, but nope he threwup again. I have tried every different angle that is legally correct and he still throws up. I have tried putting the big sun clings on both sides and back windows hoping it would block any views out the window. But that didn't help. I have tried other vehicles also and many different seating locations in our van as well as complete center in my parents vehicle. In this situation would you feel it is necessary to turn him forward facing. He is 27 lbs at 18 months. I am not sure of his length but he is very tall. So he has a bunch of lbs to gain before he reaches the rf limit on our MA. I am also curious to find out if he will gain wait faster since he is not vomitting daily.

ADS

Ali

I am NOT a tech, but as someone who gets severely motion sick, I would turn a child FF who was physically that ill everytime he was in the car!

You kept him RF longer than most people. I personally believe in this situation, FF is the better route.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am NOT a tech, but as someone who gets severely motion sick, I would turn a child FF who was physically that ill everytime he was in the car!

You kept him RF longer than most people. I personally believe in this situation, FF is the better route.

I am a tech, but agree with this statement.

It sounds like you have really tried a lot of things, and at this point I believe the vomiting could become a risk to his health - the acidity passing through his esophagus and mouth multiple times a day, combined with loss of calories and nutrients could be having a definite impact on him overall, not to mention his teeth - just thinking of the complications that bulimics develop due to the repeated vomiting... obviously the cause is different, but the effect of repeated vomiting over a long period of time are going to be the same.

Getting him to 18mos while dealing with this motion sickness is really an accomplishment. Yes, we like to see kids rf'ing to the limits of the seat, but situations occur that mean you have to balance one risk with another. Just make sure that the seat is installed properly, harness tightened properly, and that the seat is top tethered. You can always give rf'ing another go in a couple months, but at this point I think your ds's body needs a chance to recover from the repeat motion sickness.

keri1292

I agree. That must be so stressful for everyone. :(

If this happened to my child, I'd install one seat RFing and one seat FFing, so I could have her RFing for the short trips. ;) Of course, this wouldn't work if you had more kids. :D

My nephew just outgrew his carsickness at 4yo. Hope it's sooner for you!

laurenrachey

Bless your heart and his! I am also not a tech but I would say ff also. Like you said he may gain quickly now if he isn't losing so much food. Maybe someone will have another suggestion that you could try but you sound like you've exhausted several possibilities. I get queasy if I try to read in the car and it is no fun. Poor little guy.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd head to a homeopath with him and get a remedy for the motion sickness. If I couldn't get a remedy to resolve the issue, I guess then I'd move to FF.

Debn31

I'm not a tech either (but hope to be this year) but I agree that I would put him FF. My two year old is FF, at 25 lb, I would prefer him RF and will try again now that we have a True Fit (In a corolla)....

I still get motion sickness (had it bad as a kid), and sometimes even on short trips. It is a really yucky feeling.
I couldn't imagine my 25 lb losing any calories to throwing up like that, he's already very thin (3% - 10% on the growth chart for weight his whole life).

And I would say hats off to you for keeping him RF as long as you could, when so many just turn them at a year without blinking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC