travel vest questions

Michi

Hi -
I do a lot of driving for my kids' school field trips.
Our state just passed a law that all kids under 8 have to be in a booster (Hooray!) - But, the majority of parents don't send them! I don't want to get in trouble (or endanger the kids) by not having them properly restrained.

I was wondering about the travel vests. I've seen several types, at widely varied costs, and was wondering are the more expensive ones that much better? Would the cheaper ones be okay if I was only going to use them for field trips?
Also, do they work with lap-only belts, which I have in the middle spots on the 2nd and 3rd rows?
thanks for your help,
Michi

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Some travel vests and harness systems are designed for lap-only belts, but they will probably require a top tether anchor as well.

Some options to consider are the Kid-Y harness and Ride Ryte booster ( http://www.safetyangel.com/products/kidY.shtml ) and the Ride Safer travel vest http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ . Other models may be fine also, just make sure they meet federal motor vehicle standards. Also, some harnesses and vests can be a little time consuming to install and use, so be sure to have a good return policy if you think you might not like it.

If your vehicle has adequate head restraints, a $15 backless booster may be the cheapest and easiest option, though of course that wouldn't work for lap-only belts. If you are ever in the Chicago area, our Safe Kids chapter still has a Britax Laptop that we would part with for a modest donation. It probably only has a couple years left to the expiration date, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC