Sunshine Kids Monterey Questions

mom23boys

I want to start out by saying that after having the Monterey for about 3 weeks I am really impressed with this seat. It has great SIP and ds2 absolutely:love: this seat more than any other one he has had.

However, I am very disappointed in the different measurements that everyone who owns this seat is getting. Those of you who have taken the time to measure the back of the neck in the extented postition know what I am referring to. What bothers me is that most of us are getting either the 6.5 in. or the 7 in. measurements. Shouldn't a seat have the same measurements for everyone to be fair? I am not saying that we are measuring incorrectly, I believe that some of the seats are defective.

After speaking to Russ last week I am convinced that he told me what he thought I wanted to hear. He has no idea that I am a memeber here and that I know for certain that their are others who have this seat that are getting the 7" measurement without using force to pull the neck up that high. Mine measures about 6 3/4 easily and 7" if I struggle to raise it up to that position.

After explaining this to him, I was told that 6.5 inches was the tallest measurment that the Monterey had. Well if that's so then why are others getting a 1/2 inch higher measurement? I think he just wanted me to go away. I am very disappointed in the fact that I think if someone called in and said they were getting the 7" measurement he would tell them that was the correct top measurement. In other words his response would depend on the callers problem.

THis is our first SK seat and I was hoping to purchase another Monterey for DH jeep but I am really reconsidering doing so because I don't like to give my money to people I don't trust. If someone else can shed some light on why he gives different answers regarding the same issue I would love to hear from you. I am in no way saying that we don't love the Monterey but I can't say the same for their CS!

ADS

Stretchy Glue

You know, Evenflo makes the Discovery and sells it by the millions, Dorel is screwing around with the Scenera, Graco has their own issues, as does Britax. Who can you trust. I was initially turned off by SKJP, because of the Mighty Tite, but someone here (Jools I think) reminded me that most companies make crappy after market products, or underplay the severity of certain problems.

I'm not worried. I wouldn't buy an Evenflo Discovery, but I'd be all over the EFTA. I wouldn't buy the Graco Comfortsport, but I'd buy a Safeseat 1 in a hearbeat. I wouldn't buy another 3-1 but I buy Sceneras for everyone I know that has a baby.

Every company has their strength and weakness, and honestly, I've heard about crappy CS from all the companies, even Britax (of whom many think are CR Gods). Me myself have had my own issues with Britax. Honestly, the company I've had the best luck with is Dorel. I think it's important to remembe that there are humans on all ends, and that nothing will be perfect. Humans assemble the seats, humans sell the seats, humans buy the seats, and humans talk about the seats. It's very seldom the same human talking about it that designed and built it.:twocents:

featherhead

You know, Evenflo makes the Discovery and sells it by the millions, Dorel is screwing around with the Scenera, Graco has their own issues, as does Britax. Who can you trust. I was initially turned off by SKJP, because of the Mighty Tite, but someone here (Jools I think) reminded me that most companies make crappy after market products, or underplay the severity of certain problems.

I'm not worried. I wouldn't buy an Evenflo Discovery, but I'd be all over the EFTA. I wouldn't buy the Graco Comfortsport, but I'd buy a Safeseat 1 in a hearbeat. I wouldn't buy another 3-1 but I buy Sceneras for everyone I know that has a baby.

Every company has their strength and weakness, and honestly, I've heard about crappy CS from all the companies, even Britax (of whom many think are CR Gods). Me myself have had my own issues with Britax. Honestly, the company I've had the best luck with is Dorel. I think it's important to remembe that there are humans on all ends, and that nothing will be perfect. Humans assemble the seats, humans sell the seats, humans buy the seats, and humans talk about the seats. It's very seldom the same human talking about it that designed and built it.:twocents:

:thumbsup: very well said!

ZephyrBlue

I agree that every company has some really bad issues with CS. That said, I know that the current Dorel issue involves sharp plastic pieces that are shredding harnesses on Sceneras and Dorel is doing their "It's not a recall issue, we'll send you a new strap" routine; Evenflo had to be sued and loose in court over the death of an infant before they pulled dangerous seats off the shelves...Recaro didn't issue a recall about their non-locking clips until a bunch of us filed complaints w/NHTSA....But in their favor, we don't know about any kids being injured or killed by seats that the company knew were defective from Britax, Graco, Sunshine Kids, Recaro or Compass. I guess, all other things aside, you have to choose to make decisions based on CS or safety records. Too bad we can't have safe seats AND consistently good CS.

U

Unregistered1

The 6 1/2 vs. 7 inch neck issue bothers me too. I want to order a monterey but I want to know EXACTLY what I'm getting, and if I'm paying the same amount of money for a seat that doesn't go as high as someone else's, I don't think that's fair. I wish SKJP would explore this issue in their quality assurance and help us figure out WHY this is happening.

mom23boys

The 6 1/2 vs. 7 inch neck issue bothers me too. I want to order a monterey but I want to know EXACTLY what I'm getting, and if I'm paying the same amount of money for a seat that doesn't go as high as someone else's, I don't think that's fair. I wish SKJP would explore this issue in their quality assurance and help us figure out WHY this is happening.

I guess this was the point I was trying to make. Why shouldn't everyone be entitiled to get what they paid for? The seat We have definitley will not be able to be used in as high a postion as others. The problem for me is I have a 4.5 year old who I will pass this seat down to who had an extremely long torso. I really need as much height as I can get.

It's not that I am trying to get others to now buy this seat, I would just like SK to admit that there is something wrong here. I have had problems with Britax in the past but after taking them up with Raymond I was beyond satisfied. I have heard of others not having such a good experience dealing with them.

I am aware that all Manufacturers have their issues, I just wish that we as customers had some way to make them understand that we are not trying to be difficult just want to have an honest answer. If you purchased a seat for the 22" belt guides then it certainly should have them on all seats not just certain ones.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I DO wish they'd iron this out, it seems like an easy problem to acknowledge and rectify, honestly :(

Mommy2Five

Well said!! And ITA.

arly1983

Stretchy said it best.

Unfortunitly, Russ is famous for his waffling. Really, you talk/email with him and its like WELCOME TO THE SPIN ZONE!!!!

sarsah

The reason the difference bothers me is because I bought the booster for a tall child (just turned 8) and he hardly has any growing room in it. I thought about returning it, but my MIL took the box to use for her move and then tossed it out when she was done (before I found out she took it) so that's out of the question now.

I have a Monterey from the first batch (manuf. 3/08) and it is one of the 'short' ones. I talked to Russ on the phone and he made it sound like it was the fault of the person measuring (i.e. me -- and others here), not that the seats were different heights and that that those who were getting the taller readings were forcing the dead stop which isn't a good idea.

Sarah......

mom23boys

The reason the difference bothers me is because I bought the booster for a tall child (just turned 8) and he hardly has any growing room in it. I thought about returning it, but my MIL took the box to use for her move and then tossed it out when she was done (before I found out she took it) so that's out of the question now.

I have a Monterey from the first batch (manuf. 3/08) and it is one of the 'short' ones. I talked to Russ on the phone and he made it sound like it was the fault of the person measuring (i.e. me -- and others here), not that the seats were different heights and that that those who were getting the taller readings were forcing the dead stop which isn't a good idea.

Sarah......

Sarah, I understand your situation. My son does not have as much room as I thought he would have and to make it even worse the son that I will pass this seat on to has an extremely long torso so I feel your pain.

Russ also told me that if others were getting taller reading on the neck then they were pulling it out to far. However, I believe that the posters that are getting the higher measurements are have sid that they are getting them without any straining to pull it up that high. Russ made me feel like the seat I have is not defective that other people are just doing it wrong and thus getting a higher reading. I feel cheated. I want a seat that easily gets the 7" reading on the neck.

Maybe he really thinks we don't know how to measure or what we are tlking about. I could have returned the seat since I did purchase the return INS. but ds loves the seat and I don't want to upset him. It is a great seat, the one we received just doesn't love up to the 22" belt guides it is supposed to have.

ginny4

it is frustrating. i wish this would get worked out. i have one of the short ones myself (guessing first batch too) dom 3/08. i agree with what you say it should be equal we all bought the same seat & should get the same measurements.
we really need that tall belt guide which is why i got the monterey to begin with. i don't know how much life my son will get with this seat. hoping until we can buy a new(er) vehicle that has headrests.

Mommy2Five

I have to say that I'm really disappointed in SKJP lately. It seems to me that Russ thinks all his customers are idiots, and instead of admitting a defect, he's telling us it's user error. :mad:
I don't know why this surprises me after having read about Kimberlys' Radian fiasco, and (I can't recall her name :() the issue with the short strap seats.
I really wish I would have researched the company better before investing $900 in their seats.. I'm really kicking myself now.

mom23boys

THe thing that really irks me is there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Not just SK but any carseat company that doesn't listen and respect it's customers.

Regarding this issue with the Monterey, surely Russ must know that there certainly could be some truth to these height measuring issues so I think it would be fair for him to say he will look into it and let us know. When I was dealing with Britax concerning the Frontier install issues I have to say that Raymond did listen and acknowledge that there was a problem and offered to go to a dealership that had my exact car and try to get an acceptable install.

I know that others haven't had such great CS from Britax either but I really have. This is my first seat from SK and although ds loves his new seat I feel somewhat cheated.

I am in no way saying that this Russ guy is not a great person, I just wish he could understand that not all carseat issues are user error. I don't see how we ladies from this board could all be measuring wrong and getting all these different top readings. If a person says they got a 7" neck measurement without using force then I believe them. If another says they get 6.5" then I would suspect that they know how to use a measuring tape.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC