Need a good/cheap booster

U

Unregistered

Hello,
I need recommendations for a good booster seat for our second vehicle. It is for my 8 year old DD. She's about 4'3" and around 54lbs.

This is not our primary vehicle, but my husband does drive her to school -about 6 blocks- on cold weather days. I just can't afford another Britax model right now.

I went to Wal-Mart, and they had several other brands including:
Graco -Turbo Booster
Evenflo -Big Kid Booster
Cosco - Protek (or something like that?)
Graco - Cargo
Cosco - High back booster
and a few backless boosters (Graco & Cosco)

Out of all of these, can you recommend any of them?
I would prefer to spend under $50

Thanks for your help,
Michelle

ADS

skaterbabs

My boys are in Graco Turbo Boosters, and for any parent they would be my second choice after a Britax Parkway.

Why are my own kids in my 2nd choice seat? Because when we bought the original ones the PW wasn't in our price range (we had a severe car crash 3 yrs ago and needed the two seats IMMEDIATELY) and when we had another crash last year the insurance company would only replace them with the exact same seat. lol

U

Unregistered

Backless Turbo Boosters or the High Back ones?

Also, I have seen several new Combi boosters on Ebay in our price range.
Are these any good?

U

Unregistered

There is one in particular - the Kobuk - It looks like it has good side-impact protection and it looks fairly comfortable. Does anyone have this or know much about it?

scatterbunny

The Kobuk does have nice side wings and EPS foam, but the lapbelt guide is awful...to buckle a child in you have to route the lapbelt through these tiny little slits in the wings surrouding the child's legs (I hope that makes sense, if not, look at a big picture of the Kobuk). I heard children find it uncomfortable, too. :(

The Turbo is my #2 recommended booster, only behind the Parkway. Well, I recommend the Recaro Start sometimes, too...but not as a secondary seat. Something to remember about the Turbo's armrests: the lapbelt gets routed UNDER the armrests, not over them. If you think your dh won't be able to figure that out, consider a Parkway (doesn't have armrests) or the Evenflo Big Kid (flip-up armrests). I don't usually recommend the Big Kid, though...because it doesn't have EPS foam or as deep of side wings as the Parkway and Turbo.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I remember Jools had a Kobuk, but I think she didn't recommend it well -- the highback Graco Turbo is a great booster ... very comfortable, EPS foam, easy to adjust, great price & has more fabric choices for kiddo to be part of the decision making process :) The Britax Parkway has deeper head wings & similarly comfortable seat padding, neat fabric options, adjusts just as easily, but is more expensive -- the shape of the seat seems to accomodate smaller kids as well as bigger kids real well, though! We have both; kids & adults alike prefer the Parkway slightly over the Turbo ... the Recaro Young Start would be best for a wiggly kid in a vehicle without locking shoulder belts since it has a shoulder belt lock off (it has the most protective sides as the torso is filled with EPS, too, not just the head), but it's the most expensive & much heavier!

Sorry, for rambling, I know you said you can't afford an expensive seat -- guess it's one of those days -- these are just the top 3 boosters I recommend & with a limited budget I wouldn't recommended anything less than the Turbo ;)

Last edited:

scatterbunny

Just wanted to clarify that it's the Recaro START that has the shoulderbelt lockoff, not the Style (but the link goes to the Start page, so that's good). :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LMBO - alright, man, aaargh, I'm always slipping up Start/Style :rolleyes: I edited so it's fixed now ... but they could really do something about how confusing the names are - I'm constantly stuttering over this when I talk & type, both :p

scatterbunny

I agree-when the Sport and Style first came out I could NOT keep them straight to save my life. :p For some reason though, the Start doesn't confuse me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC