Ok, now I need some serious help/ideas

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I was hoping & praying that because of the lower profile of the Frontier that I'd be able to mesh it with Reigan's DC and the PW in the 3rd row of the Suburban, but there was just NO way it was going to fit. I was about 3/4" short on room.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do...when I tried the Frontier last night, the tech that I was working with & I only ended up with 2 feasible solutions.

FPSIV - PW+86Y - PW
(Access) DC - SS1/RA/WZ

Of course that would mean that I'm sticking the infant in the 3rd row with no one else back there the majority of the time.

DC - Empty - Frontier
PW - SS1/RA/WZ - FPSIV

Of course that would mean that anytime we go anywhere as a family that we'd have to take the PW in/out to have access to the 3rd row.

With the seats I have right now, I can do this...

FP Futura - DC - PW
(Access) - SS1 - FPSIV

But in the winter the Futura is such a pain in the patootie...

If anyone would care to mess with this scenario, these are the seats I currently have...

FPSIV
SS1
RA
DC
WZ
HBB Turbo
PW
UltraCargo (but prefer not to use it as a "main" seat)
2x FP Futura

Reilly is 7 & 40+lb
Reide is 5 & 40+lb
Reigan is 3 & 30lb
Reiker is 1 & 19lb

Both center seating positions are lap-only no head restraint. All positions other than the access seat are retrofitted with heavy duty TA's from Ez-On.

ADS

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Which way did you try the PW,DC,Frontier combo?

Oh, and is Reigan rfing or ffing?

DC/PW/Frontier and DC/Frontier/PW...it was better with the FR outboard, but still definitely not do-able.

Reigan is FF, Reiker is still RF and I really want him to still be RF when #5 comes.

Oh, and FWIW, the Radian is not an option in my vehicle...I couldn't get a good install with it anywhere in the 3rd row. :thumbsdown:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm still working on picturing the whole thing, but I'm not sure you can use the 86Y with the Parkway. Have you contacted EZ-On about it? I've been meaning to, but I don't own a Parkway so it's not high on my priority list. Anyway, I'm under the impression that the 86Y relies on the booster having armrests as belt guides?

I think I'd go with #2. Removing the PW is annoying, but it's the least annoying, yk?

Also, when you say the Radian's not a good install in the 3rd row, does that include RF? Not that you'd want a RF seat in the 3rd row where you can't reach it, I suppose...

BW1426

Is the Frontier for keeps, or can you still return it? I wonder if a Nautilus would mesh better or how about a Radian to add to your lovely collection? Also, how is the third row shaped (meaning, how are the sides of the vehicle shape in comparison to the seat)? Sometimes different seats fit really well outboard simply because of the shape of the upper portion of the seat.

What year is your Suburban? Does the access seat flip down or slide forward? ... I can't remember.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Is the Frontier for keeps, or can you still return it? I wonder if a Nautilus would mesh better or how about a Radian to add to your lovely collection? Also, how is the third row shaped (meaning, how are the sides of the vehicle shape in comparison to the seat)? Sometimes different seats fit really well outboard simply because of the shape of the upper portion of the seat.

What year is your Suburban? Does the access seat flip down or slide forward? ... I can't remember.

I didn't buy the FR, I was just trying it before I bought. The Radian does not work, I had one before. The 3rd row seat sits up on a "ledge" of sorts, and the sides of the vehicle flare out internally, shaving about 6-8" off of width of the seat in comparison to the 2nd row.

It's a '99, the access seat flips down. ;)

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I'm still working on picturing the whole thing, but I'm not sure you can use the 86Y with the Parkway. Have you contacted EZ-On about it? I've been meaning to, but I don't own a Parkway so it's not high on my priority list. Anyway, I'm under the impression that the 86Y relies on the booster having armrests as belt guides?

I think I'd go with #2. Removing the PW is annoying, but it's the least annoying, yk?

Also, when you say the Radian's not a good install in the 3rd row, does that include RF? Not that you'd want a RF seat in the 3rd row where you can't reach it, I suppose...

Ooh, you know that's a good point...I hadn't really thought about that. I just make sure that it's positioned across his hips when he's in the vehicle, but maybe I should switch him out to the Turbo. :eek:

Yeah, I didn't try the Radian in the 3rd row RF because, the only spot that would make sense to put it in is the passenger side, and then it's just a royal pain in the patootie to get to.

Keep the ideas coming...I appreciate that you guys are thinking on this...my little box is kind of small so I need ya'll to think outside of it for me. :thumbsup:

TerisBoys

Can you get your hands on a SR/C or FP SV-B? They might work in place of the Parkway, and would work with the 86-y.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Ok, I went out and played this morning (before it gets hot! LOL) and I also came up with these scenarios...

FPSIV - FP Futura - DC
(Access) Turbo+86Y - SS1

and

RA (ff) - FP Futura - DC
(Access)Turbo+86Y - FPSIV

I also unsuccessfully tried across the 3rd row...

FPSIV - DC - PW
FPSIV - UC - PW
DC - Turbo+86Y - PW

So *if* Reiker gains enough weight by December, and *if* I actually felt comfortable turning him by then (he'd be 20 months) I do have a workable combination that gives everyone the access they need...but I'd have to turn him. :confused:

TerisBoys

Don't forget to check the DOM on your Futura (which I'm sure you have, but...)

Wondering if one of those cheap Uptowns (that you don't need) would puzzle in somewhere for Reiker.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Can you get your hands on a SR/C or FP SV-B? They might work in place of the Parkway, and would work with the 86-y.

Oooh...now that might be something to try across the back row...

DC - SR/C+86Y - PW

I'm sure I could order one from Albee, and just use it as a spare, etc if it doesn't work where I need it to. Technically, schmechnically the Turbo expires this year too. :rolleyes:

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Don't forget to check the DOM on your Futura (which I'm sure you have, but...)

Wondering if one of those cheap Uptowns (that you don't need) would puzzle in somewhere for Reiker.

Yeah, my Futura is good until Feb. 09...and I'm going to milk it for all it's worth! ;)

TerisBoys

Yeah, my Futura is good until Feb. 09...and I'm going to milk it for all it's worth! ;)

I hear you - mine expires in October, and it's living out it's last days in a friend's daycare van.

I wish someone would get their hands on that mold and put the thing back into production. Doesn't look like much, but it sure is nice for tight squeezes!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
She will be too tall for the RA before this issue resolves itself. :rolleyes: She's already using the top slots with less than an 1" to go before her shoulders reach the slots.

It would at least get you past the infant seat stage. Plus, it may take quite a while for her to hit those top slots. Danny was right at the top slots of the MA for almost two years before he actually went over them.

BW1426

Hmmm. The Radian doesn't work for your needs, or it doesn't work in your vehicle. I installed one into the third row of a Suburban (can't remember which year though) at our last seat check.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It doesn't work in my vehicle...this is the best install I got with my hubby helping me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8tRNyM3oqU
The center seat was even worse if that's physically possible. :thumbsdown:

Sorry if this is all stuff you tried, but I watched your video and noticed you didn't have the FF recline-thingy down. Did you try it that way?

Also, while you were tightening, were you compressing it straight down or back-&-down?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC