Anyone know of a good article on RVs and child passenger safety?

Neatfreak

I could really use one, as my DH is planning an RV holiday and will not believe that there isn't a properly reinforced air-bag free spot in one to install my DD's car seat. Or that it doesn't matter, which pains me a little more.

I was hoping that someone knows of an article from the NHTSA or Transport Canada or AAP or some similar authority that I could show my husband. I'd really like to turn our vacation negotiations towards renting a trailer or a cabin to stay in, but right now I'm just distraught after being challenged so much on something that I try to keep educated about.

TIA!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm researching this now -- although I'll probably take too long before my article is posted here....

It really just comes down to reading both the vehicle + carseat/booster manuals. Those hold the definitive answers beyond any other resource. No carseat/booster allows installation on side or rear-facing seats & there must be at least 28" between the vehicle seat & a surface in front of it (specifically those dinette tray tables). I also have never heard of any RV/motorhome manual detailing installation of carseats in any other position besides the front copilot seat.

Also, the only reason other large trucks have a low crash incidence in relative comparison to small passenger vehicles is that the drivers have safety training experience.

Still looking for more info. although there isn't much at all that focuses on this issue since the liability is the owner/driver's, not a business/employer, & there are so few motorhomes on the road in comparison to other large vehicles & especially small passenger vehicles.

This NHTSA document does not focus on motorhomes, but does show proof that, in general, large truck based vehicles (such as & including motorhomes) are built with thin metal covered plywood flooring. The document details how injuries would have been prevented via safer structure design. It's not a most current document, but large truck based vehicle design hasn't changed so strikingly much. Motorhome manufacturers are not required to adhere to all the rear seat safety measures of small passenger vehicles, so their improvements are asthetic.

Last edited:

singingpond

It certainly seems to be a gaping safety loophole -- here are these vehicles advertised as a family vacation option... and there is no way to actually safely transport a family of more than two people in the thing :scratcheshead:. And its not just families with kids -- I know of cases where two older couples have decided to share the cost of a rental RV for a cross-country vacation, so the two surplus adults must be riding in totally unsafe locations in that situation, and probably have no idea there is a problem :thumbsdown:.

I assume it is a matter of something falling into a regulatory crack, because, as papooses said: 'motorhome manufacturers are not required to adhere to all the rear seat safety measures of small passenger vehicles.' No legal agency has required the manufacturers to make them safe, and the manufacturers haven't done it voluntarily either (surprise, surprise).

Also, I'm curious whether the seeming projectile risks of riding in an RV show up in actual accident statistics? It seems that all kinds of stuff would go flying in a crash, and that even the two people in the crash-tested seats up front would be at considerable risk from this?

Katrin

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Also, I'm curious whether the seeming projectile risks of riding in an RV show up in actual accident statistics? It seems that all kinds of stuff would go flying in a crash, and that even the two people in the crash-tested seats up front would be at considerable risk from this?
This is exactly what I'm trying to find. We know it happens, but finding the proof is not easy. I have seen here, once upon a time when I 1st joined, a picture of a pancake-flattened motorhome with a disturbing amount of items no where near their original storage area. I'm just not having much luck finding again the links that I have seen sporadically throughout the last couple years.

This news story is a start > http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/29/motor.home.crash.ap/index.html & there's this, too....
Stephanie Strombello (SafetyBeltSafe USA) said:
Mobile homes and RVs present the same risks as other vehicles except that in a crash, there is so much more to come cascading down on the occupants.

Riding safely in these vehicles is a challenge because, although they must have belts in seating positions, sometimes the sites are side-facing or face a table or are very close to another item that will tear away in a serious crash.

We strongly recommend that any child traveling in such a vehicle ride in a correctly chosen and used safety seat. Children sleeping in beds, etc. have been ejected. Also with revamped vehicles, it is wise to see that the belts are really attached to metal; I've had reports of belts "bolted" into wood, etc.
#618 @ CPSPList 7/23/02

Last edited:

laurenrachey

Not that I really know anything much about the differences/prices/safety etc. But what about a 5th wheel instead? Would that be considered safer since it is pulled, therefore the kids can ride in the vehicle instead of the RV? Of course, one may not have the money nor the desire to purchase a RV and the vehicle to pull it. I know personally I would. Right after I won the lottery. Ah one can dream :)

brooklynsmommy

The other huge plus with motorhome vs trailer is that once you park it at the camp ground, you don't have to drive the huge thing if you want to go into town to go see/ do stuff or run to the store. That was always a huge plus for us as a family of 7 growing up. My parents had a 15 passenger van (yeah I know) and a 27 foot trailer. It worked really well!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
But what about a 5th wheel instead? Would that be considered safer since it is pulled, therefore the kids can ride in the vehicle instead of the RV?

That is the wiser choice :thumbsup: Personally, knowing how missile-like the human body becomes during a crash, I'm never setting foot inside a motorhome unless it's hooked up to stay parked :twocents: If I can't afford the safe option, then vacation plans change....

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
A guy on another board I participate on got in an accident in a motorhome a few years ago. It was horrific. An SUV hit them head on (you will see the black SUV crushed in the pics) and both passengers in the SUV were killed and left a 2 year old behind (who was staying with family). Here is what his motorhome looked like after the accident http://www.pbase.com/broganrv/inbox There is NO way I would allow a child in the back of that. In an accident it's like a bomb exploded. If the accident didn't kill the child, the stuff piled on top of them, or slamming into them, likely would.

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Wow, those are some convincing pics. Looks exactly like the motorhome my parents had, but which now belongs to my sister :(

4boysmom

W-ow!! That SUV couldn't be more pancakish! Tent camping it is! Amazing how much damage and projectiles that BEAST had. I mean it faired oodles better than the suv but still oye the projectiles!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
W-ow!! That SUV couldn't be more pancakish! Tent camping it is! Amazing how much damage and projectiles that BEAST had. I mean it faired oodles better than the suv but still oye the projectiles!
The gentleman driving actually injured his shoulder by getting hit with a flying recliner because in that model, there is actually a recliner NOT attached to the floor (for "convenience" so it can be moved). He also noticed that a dining chair was outside on the grass which meant it had to fly between the front seat and out the destroyed front window, and miraculously missed hitting the front seat passengers. His advice after the accident was to tie EVERYTHING down. He is very lucky that his passengers escaped with only minor injuries (and he knows he is lucky). He also commented on finding a way to secure the content of the cabinets, as all the contents of the cabinets (thinking heavy appliances and plates) came out. Although, this is not foolproof since some of the cabinets detached from the walls!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC