Expired on Ebay

Dillipop

I was just looking around on ebay in the Britax section and saw 3 expired roundabouts (98 and 99) and 1 roundabout that will expire in August. I was a bit apalled, esp since most of these were from consignment shops...wouldn't they know not to sell expired goods? There were even some bids on them. I tried to email the sellers, but cannot remember my signin information. Would it help to email ebay? I would think they would not want expired child seats being sold on their website.

ADS

Longhorn Lady

Yeah I'm one of the annoying ones who email's anyone who tries to sell an expired seat on Craigslist :p

I don't deal with Ebay enough to know how much luck you'd get emailing them, but good luck either way.

To be honest, almost every time that I've emailed someone on Craigslist about it, I get a very friendly response back explaining that they had no idea about expiration dates and plan to trash the seat properly now that they know. Hopefully you'll have the same response :)

U

Unregistered

I think it should be made illegal all over the nation to sell expired and damaged seats(including from car wrecks even if they dont show damage). We should all protest!!

Ebay outlawed used diapers on ebay for a little while until the diapering community got to writtin. Maybe we should right them about expired and damaged seats!!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
In my area we have huge issues with consignment shops selling expired seats. I go every friday to about 6 of them and take the ones they cant sell off their shelves. I dont get why they dont just stop selling them i've told them how to see if they are expired and why its dangerous but they seem to like me to do it for them.

What really gets me in the shop thats the worst for it sells mostly expired evenflo discoverys for 29.99 our walmart sells new ones for 28.98. :confused:

I'm planning on making an info seat with all the information about expired seats and the used seat checklist and a list of EVERY recalled seat and taking it to every consignment shop in my city (not town. city!)

I dont know what the consignment shops do with the seats i say cant be sold. I havent seen them back on the shelves (i've gone in and spot checked midweek). I;ve gone to checking the whole baby section. One had this gorgeous crib so i wrote down the serial numbers to try to find two and it turns out it was recalled! And after checking it, its slates were too far apart (just barely) so i've learned now to just check it all.

Are there laws about selling seats with aftermarket products? One shop has a portabout with a head support on it but i cant decide if i should make them remove it (i would if i knew how to get the straps off the portabout. Its a rear adjust harness and i've never used one.)

I think its aganist ebay rules to sell expired or broken seats. I know you cant sell recalled seats that arent fixed (if its possible to fix them). if you report it it may take a while to be taken off. they get tons of complaints to wade thru every day!

U

Unregistered

Yes I have issues with shops in town as well. There is one on a corner that sells seats that look like they are 10yo and Ive seen a few with cracks as well. I wish there was something we could do, they wouldnt take them off the market, they dont care about anything but making a few dollars. And this one particular shop, I seriously think they get all their seats out of the dump that is half a mile up the street!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I dont know but i think this law applies here:

Definition of U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Law Mandate
The Consumer Product Safety Commission was established in 1972 under the Consumer Product Safety Act (P.L. 92-573) to regulate consumer products that pose an unreasonable risk of injury, to assist consumers in using products safely and to promote research and investigation in product-related deaths and injuries. The CPSC has authority to issue regulations that establish performance or labeling standards for consumer product. In addition, CPSC may order product recalls, in which an item is removed from store shelves and consumers are alerted to return the item for repair, replacement or refund. Although the agency has broad regulatory powers, much of its efforts are carried out by non-regulatory methods. The CPSC often assist in the development or improvement of voluntary safety standards and addresses product hazards by providing safety information to consumers.

if its cracked or broken obviously i would call the police (not 911 but their local line and ask them to check it out.) Also tell them it is against the law. That's what i did with a few of my more difficult shops and they were very quick to remove their expired seats. :) (i just assumed it was b/c it seems like it should be but now i cant find any info about it)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC