radian 80 and SIP

emars002

Does the radian 80 have side impact protection? their website says it does but it doesn't look like my BLVD - then there is a picture that says "with head cushions" but those are not under accessories. i really would like a seat with SIP - they are both going to be outboard and no side airbags. Thanks.
heres the website
http://www.skjp.com/products/skjp_radian_80.php#

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just by virtue of having EPS foam I think they can proclaim it to have good SIP...and there's probably something to that, it's a very rigid seat, so it won't twist and turn towards the point of impact, the EPS will absorb some energy, and top tethering it will really add a lot of safety (do you have top anchors? if not, they can usually be added relatively inexpensively). Also, just being a 5 pt harness really holds the upper body in place quite well (that is, keeps the head from flying into the door/oncoming bumper).
I know the big headwings of the BV do seem very impressive, but I'm personally comfortable with just any well-used harnessed seat used outboard and don't worry too much about it having SIP (now boosters? Yeah, I definitely want something more substantial once the kids don't have the safety of the 5-pt harness anymore!).

:twocents::)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
:yeahthat:

I can't really think of anything else to add. I think SIP is important in a carseat when it comes to "what's my child's head going to slam into?" so as long as it's not a hard piece of plastic, I'm happy. (Keeping in mind that I've been in two side-impact crashes, and due to the seats we had at the time, that's what all three of my boys' heads slammed into - plastic carseat shells. Only one of my boys has or had any symptoms of injury from the crashes, and that's debatable.)

I can't imagine that the headwings on seats like the Blvd would really make that much difference if another car's bumper were coming through into my vehicle. It's not like they're made of Kryptonite or something. ;)

Don't get me wrong - there probably is an added degree of protection to the headwings, it's just that since there are no standards, we're really just taking Britax's word for it. Until we start seeing stats and crash-test comparisons, I'm not going to sweat it.

emars002

thanks for the replies - i guess i didn't think about the harness itself really securing them - When I got hte BLVDs 2 months ago i was impressed - they just looked "safer" to me than the marathons i have but when you take the harness into consideration i guess it really doesn't matter as much - I know i am not going to buy 2 more BLVDs for the car they more than likely won't be in - We already have $1200 worth of Britax in the other 2 cars...I guess I have to keep looking for the right seat - i will find it - i'm thinking maybe a GN and a scenara will work.

arly1983

When I measured the depth of the Radian shell and the Marathon shell, I got nearly the same measurements.

I think the MA's look deeper because they are angled and the radians come strait out. The MA and Radian seem to offer the nearly same amount SIP going off of the depth of the shell.

emars002

well, i think i have a britax obsession and i don't think i can get passed it and buy another seat - so I think i should do this:
currently
the minivan has 2 BLVDs - 1 Rf 1 FF
the F150 has 2 MAs - 1RF 1 FF
the saturn - has nothing

I think i should:

minivan - 1 BLVD RF 1 New frontier FF
F150 - 1 MA RF 1 New frontier FF
saturn - 1 BLVD RF 1 New GN and sell the extra MA

I guess that means 3 new seats - DH will kill me but the 2 Frontiers can be used by DD2 after the DD1 b/c of the 9 year expiration (not sure of the Gn expiration) so technically i will be done with car seats if i do this....
i just almost feel guilty having hte MAs w/o the wings but now that i know they probably don't make that much difference i think i would be ok with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC