Question Car seat weight limitation

monsterling

Hi, being as a first-time mom, I would like to seek for advise on the car seat weight limitation. I plan to buy a 2nd car seat (put in my MIL house) for my son as he will outgrown the infant car seat very soon. I have 3 car seats in my mind, can someone advise how long my son will fit in these seats based on the weight limits? e.g. 50lbs can use until/around kids 4 years old (in average)?

Here are the car seat that I would consider ----
1) Evenflo Triumph Advance 50lbs
2) Fisher Price Voyage 55lbs
3) True Fit 65lbs

My hubby asked my these questions last nite and I have no clue on it. Both of our family sides do not have small kids in the past 10 years, thus we have no way to ask for information. Thanks.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

All three of those seats have about the same top harness position. Most children outgrow seats by height before weight. Unless your son is on the heavy side, even the EFTA's 50 lb ff limit should be sufficient. Most children will fit in any of them until around age 5.

The FPSVD was discontinuted last September, so any you find will be at least a year old. Both the EFTA and TF have 35 lb rf limits. I'd probably recommend either of those.

What does your mil drive? How old and what size is your son now?

BW1426

The FP Safe Voyage was discontinued a while back, so the only ones available are going on 1-2 years old. The Evenflo Triumph Advance is a nice seat and will last your LO a long time both RF (has a 35 lb rearfacing limit) and a long time Forward Facing. It has a nice tall shell and tall top harness slots. I don't care for the True Fit and would buy a Britax Marathon or a Sunshine Kids Radian over that, but there are people that love their True Fits and I'll let them chime in regarding that.

What vehicles do you drive (Make/Model/Year)? Do you need to get more people than just yoursef, DH and DS in the car on any regular basis? What is your budget for new seats (how many seats will you need)?

Also, it isn't entirely based on weight limits. What's important (and often more important that weight) is the height of the top harness slots.

monsterling

What does your mil drive? How old and what size is your son now?

My mil has a 97 honda accord. And, my son is almost 7 months, 20lb and 29inch (approx.)

Do you need to get more people than just yoursef, DH and DS in the car on any regular basis? What is your budget for new seats (how many seats will you need)?

Also, it isn't entirely based on weight limits. What's important (and often more important that weight) is the height of the top harness slots.

I would just need 1 car seat for my mil (I already bought 2 Blvd for myself & my hubby's vehicle). My budget would depends on how long the car seat can my son fit into it.... (that's my hubby's opinion)...:rolleyes:

btw, how to measure the top harness slots in term of height?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

monsterling

The FP Safe Voyage was discontinued a while back, so the only ones available are going on 1-2 years old. The Evenflo Triumph Advance is a nice seat and will last your LO a long time both RF (has a 35 lb rearfacing limit) and a long time Forward Facing. It has a nice tall shell and tall top harness slots.

Is the Fisher Price Voyage has a 5lb weight limit more than the Evenflo Triumph Advance? How long can 5lb last (6 months?)?

BW1426

You never know, 5 pounds could last a long time (more than a year) or only a couple months. Kids grow at unpredictable rates.

Truthfully, I wouldn't pay the same amout for a FP Safe Voyage Deluxe as I would for a brand new Evenflo Triumph Advanced. The Triumph is wide but as long as your MIL doesn't need to fit 3 carseats, it's no big deal.

How often does DS go with your MIL?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Might want to throw the Sunshine Kids Radian 80 into the mix of seats to consider. It fits even the biggest kids up to at least age 5 (my tallish/average weight dd outgrew it at age 7 and 50 pounds, but there's a girl on this board who's almost 6 and 70ish pounds who still fits in it, too...it's got a very versatile range).

tweetykl

The weight should not be as much of a concern as harness height. As stated above:
What's important (and often more important that weight) is the height of the top harness slots.

BW1426

Your original post is coming back to me. Are you buying this seat to use as a travel seat or is it just staying at the in-laws' house :confused:

monsterling

Your original post is coming back to me. Are you buying this seat to use as a travel seat or is it just staying at the in-laws' house :confused:

This seat will in staying at my MIL's house. We will buy another travel seat (Scenera - spell?) since we travel quiet often. But we still want one comfy and long lasting car seat to sit in my MIL house. (They can use to take care our nephew once awhile). However, since we didn't use it too many time a year, Britax would not be our consideration (with the 65 lbs price tag).

Brilliantmama

yeah, the Evenflo Triumph Advance would be especially good if it is needed to fit multiple kids.

Assuming they are both Rearfacing or Forwardfacing you could just leave the seat installed for both kids.

I just have to say that having traveled with a Scenera and a Radian, I LOVE the radian hands down over the scenera for air travel. When folded with the backpack straps, it is easy to carry and maneuver through crowded airports.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC