Why keep babies rear facing?

L

LyndaSLP

Why keep babies rear facing?

Hi! I am so happy to find this board... have so many questions!

Can anyone tell me WHY it is important to keep one's baby rear-facing (in his car seat) until he is one year old AND weighs 20 lbs?? If you could point me to a website that has that info, I would greatly appreciate it!

I understand why, but my girlfriend does not. She has an 8 month old girl and has turned her car seat to front facing b/c (and these are her words), "She is a bit advanced physically and has the neck muscles needed to sit forward. That and it makes her stop screaming during car trips."

A website w/ explaination why would help me -- I could forward it to her.

TIA!

ADS
C

Caviller

Rear Facing Is Safest

A simple explanation is all that is necessary.

Imagine a frontal crash, a head-on with another vehicle at high speeds. This is the most common and severe type of crash.

If the baby is in a rear-facing seat, it's whole body is cradled by the back of the carseat. The head, neck and body will all be cradled by the shell of the seat.

If the baby is front-facing, only the narrow harness straps hold the baby, and nothing holds the baby's head and neck in place!

Not only is rear-facing safest for babies up to 1 year AND 12 months, it is safest for ALL passengers, even adults. Unfortunately, adults are not usually able to ride this way, but toddlers can up to the 30-35 pound weight limits of current convertible carseats.

This issue is covered in the FAQ at this website. Click the FAQ link under the banner at the top, and go to Question #6. Or try this link below:

user.mc.net/~carseat/faq.html#Q6

The answer includes a nice article you can print, too.

K

kymberlee26

Pull an electrical cord out of a socket by its wire...

...that's what happens to a baby turned forward too soon.

www.carseat.org/Technical...mportant,6

Also, Sweden rearfaces their children to 3 and 4 years of age because they know that they are safer this way.

(Sorry for the late reply)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC