Chest clip

Heather98012

I know several years ago it was said that you had to tighten the harness until you could only slide one finger under it. Then I thought it was changed to something along the lines of tightening it until you couldn't pinch any slack (which I never could if I had it tightened to the point where I could only slide one finger in).

With our Frontier, I keep ratcheting that thing until the cows come home & I can get it to the point where I can get a finger under the clip...but it seems somewhat more loose than our old Triumph (older version). It seems to me that it's just because of the Hugs (the grip-y things). Is this tight enough? Any tips on getting it tighter?

I'm wondering if I should take DD tomorrow when I get the seat inspected (I was going to leave her home with DH)? TIA for your thoughts!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm not familiar with the Frontier, but you should check for tightness at the collarbone, not under the chest clip.

The pinch-test is preferred simply because different people have different-sized fingers. :D

Here's a link to some pics I took of how to do the pinch-test.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's always recommended to take your child when you have your seat inspected because it helps the tech fit the child to the seat. There's also a lot a parent can learn about tightening the harness on the child (as your question indicates) and it's easier to have a child there for example purposes, such as your child outgrows the seat when her ears reach this point, her shoulders reach this point, etc. It's harder for a parent to visualize that without the parent present.

Heather98012

Ooohh....thanks for the pics! My harness is about what you have in the "just right" pic. I'm gonna bring DD to the appt though, just to be sure. Thanks everyone!

Heather98012

Had it inspected & the tech was like "Why are you here?" LOL....the chest clip & harness were perfect....I guess it's just a bit different with the HUGS. Car seat was acceptable, with less than the 1" of movment at belt path, but we were able to get the belt to retract one more click & presto....ROCK SOLID install. In fact it's digging into the seat a bit & makes the cupholder tricky to open or close; it works, but you have to be careful with it. Yeah for an even tighter install!

The tech had fun. She hadn't seen a Frontier & since she works at a hospital in a...um...transitional area (about 9-10 miles north of us), said she never anticipated seeing a Frontier come through to be checked. I think she had a blast with the seat & I was just relieved to know we did everything right.

Then it was off to see "Kung Fu Panda" but that's a whole different matter!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC