Question Toyota Camry or Honda Accord

We are thinking about getting me a car to drive instead of our gas guzzling van we have right now (which is needing replaced anyways). We are really interested in a Toyota Camry Hybrid, and I got this off their website for interior measurements :
Interior Dimensions (in.)
Headroom (with moonroof) 38.8/37.8 (37.9/37.4)
Shoulder room 57.8/56.9
Hip room 54.6/53.9
Leg room 41.7/38.3
Seating capacity 5

I have 3 children, 6, 5, an 3 year old. All over 40 lbs and under 50 lbs. Currently we have 2 Britax Regents and a Graco Nautililus. Has anyone or would anyone know if I could fit three harnessing seats 3 across in this car. We aren't totally opposed to buying different seats if need be...but I sure would like to get my $260 worth out of those two Regents if I could. I was thinking maybe the Nautililus in the middle and the Regents outboard.

Also, we have a Toyota Corolla as well and need to fit 3 across is there for a trip in July. Again, not opposed to buying a new seat or something...maybe a Regent in the middle and 2 nautililus's outboard.

Thanks for any insight...I checked the 3-Across thread but didn't see anything pertaining to these seats and cars though.

ADS

MomToEliEm

In my 2001 Camry, I have 2 outboard regents. There is very little space between the two seats. I cannot sit between them and I am fairly positive I could not install any seat in-between them. You might be able to get one regent back there and two others, but it probably is a slim chance of 2 regents and 1 other seat. The body has changed though since my 2001 model so maybe someone else with a newer style can tell you what they have been able to do.

mama2Cecelia

I have 2 Accords.....a 91 and 92

both are in the shop.......am currently borrowing my mom's 03 Accord.....I don't wanna give it back! :p

with ONE Regent, in the center, there is not a heck of a lot of room left in the outboard positions of the older and newer Accords

I think I threw this ? out there a while back, and it's basically impossible to do a 3-across with a Regent in the mix

we're going to be licensed foster parents soon, so I was just curious about that option.

~~Kris
CPST and proud mama to Cecelia Violet

laccaycol

My sister has a 2009 Camry and It is smaller than the older models (i used to have a 2002) the only 3 across in hers was Monterey, RF Radian, turbo booster. And it was hard to buckle the boosters.

Utah003.jpg

Utah002.jpg

Utah006.jpg

Utah008.jpg

I think it is the way the seats are angled makes them like bucket seats. Outer board anyway or maybe because she has the sport package? HTH

SavsMom

I work at a Toyota dealership so have some insight on the Camry.
You can fit 3 across in the car - I have had quite a few customers do so, and while it is a bit tight - its gonna be in any sedan.

I know you said that you are looking at the Camry Hybrid, however I would consider the 4 cylinder model instead. The Hybrid does get good gas mileage, however it has very limited trunk room as the Hybrid system takes up about 1/2 the trunk space. Also, the fuel economy on the regular Camry 4cylinder is very good, and you would not pay a premium to have the hybrid.

To really come out on top in terms of gas savings between the gas Camry and the Hybrid Camry you would need to own the Hybrid model for roughly 8 years before you break even in the price difference.

In regards to the Camry vs. Accord. Both are great vehicles. The Camry has a softer ride more "plush" ride where the Accord has more of a firm sporty ride (you'll feel more bumps in the road with the Accord). I would take both for a test drive to find out which one fits you best.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I work at a Toyota dealership so have some insight on the Camry.
You can fit 3 across in the car - I have had quite a few customers do so, and while it is a bit tight - its gonna be in any sedan.

I know you said that you are looking at the Camry Hybrid, however I would consider the 4 cylinder model instead. The Hybrid does get good gas mileage, however it has very limited trunk room as the Hybrid system takes up about 1/2 the trunk space. Also, the fuel economy on the regular Camry 4cylinder is very good, and you would not pay a premium to have the hybrid.

To really come out on top in terms of gas savings between the gas Camry and the Hybrid Camry you would need to own the Hybrid model for roughly 8 years before you break even in the price difference.

In regards to the Camry vs. Accord. Both are great vehicles. The Camry has a softer ride more "plush" ride where the Accord has more of a firm sporty ride (you'll feel more bumps in the road with the Accord). I would take both for a test drive to find out which one fits you best.

I have an '05 Camry and would agree with most of what you said. I choose the Camry over the Accord because of the softer ride. The trunk is pretty large and tall (larger than my previous car, a Galant).

I would disagree that 3 across should work when 1 or more of the seats are Regents. Other combinations of 3 across, probably, add in a Regent - no way.

I have only played with the Regent. I had a Regent, Airway, MA, and a backless Turbo. I could easily install any 1 + the Regent easily, even side by side, with the Regent outboard. There just wasn't enough room for the 3rd seat (even the backless booster). My SIL has a Radian so I'm planning on adding it and a Nautilus to the mix instead of the Airway (which I gave away for it's final year of life).

Thanks for all the insight. We are still aways from buying anything, unfortunately. IT'll probably be fall or winter before we buy something. But we are doing all the research as we can. We are now looking at Civics and such, and different carsets as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC