Anyone here have a 1998 Mazda 626?

Longhorn Lady

Or any other similar year?

After all the drama convincing the Dealership to install the tether anchor, they installed it today IN THE MIDDLE even though I specifically told them (and they wrote it down) that I wanted it on the Rear, Driver's side. The buckle stalks are too close together in the middle to install a seat there, as far as I can tell. Its freezing right now, so I haven't been able to confirm but the space is TEENY there.

Now they are telling me that its the only available space, but I swear one of the Techs here told me that there were three available spots. Does anyone know?

Anyone have tether anchors installed in their Mazda 626? I'm going nuts trying to get this figured out. I NEED my MA FF next weekend to go see my niece so I really want to be able to tether it :(

ADS

scatterbunny

You should be able to look at the back window deck and see if there are weld nuts or anything that looks like a tether anchor spot.

I'm so sorry they are putting you through this! :( I think they are just trying to cover their butts (re: telling you the middle is the only available spot).

Longhorn Lady

See, I have searched high and low and didn't even see the middle weld nut. So I'm not sure what they used. Not that I didn't think it was there, but I had asked that when they installed it, that they'd take me back there to make sure that it was reinforced and all. They forgot to come get me :rolleyes:

And yeah, I can't fault them for wanting to cover their own butts, but their customer service isn't stellar to begin with (not regarding this, some other things), so they haven't been too accomodating.

I just wish I had some other information to figure it all out. Off to do some internet searches :)

ETA: Looking at the compatibility database, there are entries that show outboard tether fits for 1998 Mazda 626's. Hmm...

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I used to have a 626 (I think it was a '94?)
- and I could NOT put a seat in the middle/rear position for two reasons.

1. My daughter was still rear facing and there was a fold-down arm rest there.
The manual said do NOT put a 'RF' car seat in any spot with an arm rest.

2. The was a big 'hump' on the seat in the middle and no matter what I did, I couldn't get a tight install (RF or FF.) The seat would fall off the hump and wobble from side to side.

I was able to get good installs in both outboard positions, however.

Longhorn Lady

It's a Sedan. I called and talked to them again and I guess I have figured out the problem, although I'm still a bit confused.

Apparently there are three weld nuts in my car but the KIT that that was being installed said EXPLICITLY on its packaging that the center was the ONLY place allowed for them to install an anchor. So obviously for liability issues, they won't change their stance for anything.

Which is just so darn counterproductive because why would the manufacturer make the buckle stalks so close together in the middle and also only allow a tether anchor ONLY in that spot. Makes no sense.

Frustrating because even if I can get an install in the center (which I'm not even sure is possible), there is NO way that my TB can be buckled next to it.

ARGH :eek:

Longhorn Lady

Unregistered said:
I used to have a 626 (I think it was a '94?)
- and I could NOT put a seat in the middle/rear position for two reasons.

1. My daughter was still rear facing and there was a fold-down arm rest there.
The manual said do NOT put a 'RF' car seat in any spot with an arm rest.

2. The was a big 'hump' on the seat in the middle and no matter what I did, I couldn't get a tight install (RF or FF.) The seat would fall off the hump and wobble from side to side.

I was able to get good installs in both outboard positions, however.

Did you ever have a tether anchor in the outboard spots?

Yeah, when I saw a Tech, we were completely unable to get a good center install RF, so I've always had it ouboard RF, which works great anyway because I have another seat on the other side. I've never tried it in the center FF, but that's good to know that you had a hard time. I'm sure its going to be the same for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC