Question Humm, I thought I had it straight, can someone help me?

U

Unregistered

Hello everyone. Canadian lurker here. My name is Kristin and I have a just turned 12 month old son named Coby. He had his 12 month check-up yesterday and was 27.5 lbs naked. In our car he is RF in the Marathon, and in Grandma's car he is RF in the Scenera. Because he is a big boy, we have made the concious decision to keep him RF in the Marathon to the US limits of 33 lbs. He will be turned in the Scenera when he reaches 30 lbs.

My questions have to do with the new seats. I am hearing a lot about the True Fit, and the Frontier. The Frontier is a FF only seat right? And it's not quite here in Canada yet right? What about the Nataulis? Did anyone ever find out for sure if that seat will be coming up here?

Anyway, the True Fit. I am hearing that it RF to 35 lbs? I thought that seats were no longer permitted to RF past 30 lbs here in Canada? Did Transport Canada change the laws? Will there be more seats coming out that will RF to 35 lbs? Where is the True Fit available? It sounds really appealing especially with DS being so high on the growth chart, but it also almost sounds too good to be true? Sorry about all the questions, but I really want to be as informed as possible. Can anyone help answer them?

Kristin

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Welcome Kristin. It's great to see you try to keep your ds rf as long as permitted.

The TrueFit is rf to 22 lbs without the removable headrest and then 35 lbs with the removable headrest. What does that matter? It matters if you have a smallish car and with the headrest on, it might not fit. But the good thing is it's okay to be more upright with older children (35 to 45 degree recline range) and it can touch the front vehicle seat(s).

The 3-in-1 seats are coming back with 35 lbs. One would think Britax will follow suit with 35 lbs rf soon.

The Frontier is ff from 25 to 65 lbs and 2 yrs and up. Then booster until whenever the child can still fit. It's a tall tall tall booster seat. Due out anytime now and retailed for $300.

The Nautilus is not known if coming or not. I haven't heard any update otherwise.

Hello everyone. Canadian lurker here. My name is Kristin and I have a just turned 12 month old son named Coby. He had his 12 month check-up yesterday and was 27.5 lbs naked. In our car he is RF in the Marathon, and in Grandma's car he is RF in the Scenera. Because he is a big boy, we have made the concious decision to keep him RF in the Marathon to the US limits of 33 lbs. He will be turned in the Scenera when he reaches 30 lbs.

My questions have to do with the new seats. I am hearing a lot about the True Fit, and the Frontier. The Frontier is a FF only seat right? And it's not quite here in Canada yet right? What about the Nataulis? Did anyone ever find out for sure if that seat will be coming up here?

Anyway, the True Fit. I am hearing that it RF to 35 lbs? I thought that seats were no longer permitted to RF past 30 lbs here in Canada? Did Transport Canada change the laws? Will there be more seats coming out that will RF to 35 lbs? Where is the True Fit available? It sounds really appealing especially with DS being so high on the growth chart, but it also almost sounds too good to be true? Sorry about all the questions, but I really want to be as informed as possible. Can anyone help answer them?

Kristin

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for your help! I hate hate hate the 30 lb RF limit here in Canada, especially for bigger babies like mine. 35 lbs is much better. Does that mean that Transport Canada has changed their regulations back to 35 lbs? I really hope that Britax and others follow and give more 35 RF seats. We are moving soon so DS will probably not need the Scenera anymore before we need to turn him in that seat, so we will probably wait and see where he's at in age when he outgrows the RF limits of the MA and decide from there. Thanks again for your help,

Kristin

snowbird25ca

Hi & welcome. Tam has given you some great info so I'm not going to duplicate it. :D

The Frontier is ff from 22 to 65 lbs and 2 yrs and up. Then booster until whenever the child can still fit. It's a tall tall tall booster seat. Due out anytime now and retailed for $300.

The Nautilus is not known if coming or not. I haven't heard any update otherwise.

Frontier min weight limit is 25lbs. :thumbsup: Last contact I had with Graco was @ a month ago and they are saying they hope to have the Nautilus here at the end of the year, but there's no firm date or time estimate yet.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Transport Canada's "regulation" of 30lbs has been gone for a number of years... manufacturer's have been slow to bring the weight limits back up though. :(

snowbird25ca

Thanks so much for your help! I hate hate hate the 30 lb RF limit here in Canada, especially for bigger babies like mine. 35 lbs is much better. Does that mean that Transport Canada has changed their regulations back to 35 lbs? I really hope that Britax and others follow and give more 35 RF seats. We are moving soon so DS will probably not need the Scenera anymore before we need to turn him in that seat, so we will probably wait and see where he's at in age when he outgrows the RF limits of the MA and decide from there. Thanks again for your help,

Kristin

Transport Canada regulations never mandated the lower rear facing weight limits. Manufacturers have in technicality remained free to set their rf'ing weight limits up to 35lbs.

However, there was some discussion many years ago and a "recommendation" was made regarding the height and weight limits - it was thought that standardizing would be less confusing for parents is my understanding... Anyways, because of the position of this person who made the comment and the manner it was made, manufacturers dropped their weight limits to 30lbs.

Consumer pressure on manufacturers, combined with there seeming to be better communication between them and TC these days, is creating the environment for the increased weight limits to return. And it's really wonderful to see. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC