Flyging and checking Britax Marathons

U

Unregistered

I am flying and considering checking my marathons and using the CARES on the plane. (i'm flying alone w/ 4 y/o twins)
Wondering if the marathons are considered too big to check (w/out having to pay extra) and would kind of bag would adequatly protect them. thx. Elyse

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd probably get a padded bag with wheels, that way you can take them to the gate with you and gate check them as the last things on the plane. That way they're not handled by the luggage people from the check in desk to the baggage claim. I wouldn't use a seat that'd been treated like that if I could absolutely avoid it.

Course, if I was going to gate check seats I'd just use them. Why not take them with you on board?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

thx. I think i may have a tough time managing two marathons, plus two unruly 4 year olds plus carry on through large airport to gate...

natysr

thx. I think i may have a tough time managing two marathons, plus two unruly 4 year olds plus carry on through large airport to gate...

I use the traveling toddler. It will connect the Marathon to you carry-on bags. Then, you can put your children in the Marathons if you don't think they can stay with you while walking, and push/pull them through the airport.

I would let each child bring their own child sized backpack. Those can be connected to your carryon with Carabiners if they are riding in their seat through the airport. Once you get to the gate, unhook the contraption and gate check your carry-ons. You cannot wheel the whole thing down the aisle, because the Marathon is too wide to fit.

U

Unregistered

That looks good. Do you need to put the Marathons in some kind of a bag if you're gate checing them?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
http://www.safefit.com/p_detail.php?select=category&id_brand=3&id_subbrand=8&id_article=45

This is the bag my sister uses for her Marathons. Both she and her dh are airline pilots so they fly ALOT. My 2 nieces are 3 & 5 and often my sister flies alone with them to visit Daddy (sis is currently not working). She has a hard time managing 2 seats and both kids on the plane so she prefers to gate check and use CARES for the girls. Her Marathons fit great in these bags, she can put one on her back which is a plus, and this company's customer service is great.

U

Unregistered

i have a 3 year old. i always check mine (and have traveled with it many times). the airlines used to give me a large plastic bag to wrap it in for free. a few months ago continental charged me $5 for it. this past trip (we flew to italy about 4 weeks ago and returned yesterday) they didnt have the plastic and it got checked "naked" and came thru just fine on the way there. the return trip they lost the carseat. without the bag, it went thru "oversized" check-in and didnt get on the plane. if i had actually purchased the britax luggage bag made special for the carseat instead of cheaping out and expecting to get the free plastic, it wouldve made it on the plane with regular luggage. its not too big to be checked with the rest of the suitcases.

i dont know what the CARES are - will have to look into that. my son just sits next to me - i put him by window, never on aisle since i fear something from overhead will fall out on him - and i use lapbelt.

long story short - i recommend purchasing the manufacturers luggage bag for carseat. i am going to buy it tonight for my next trip!
good luck!

andre149

At one point there was a picture floating around of a MA that got cracked after being checked on a plane... hopefully someone can guide you to that.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk of the carseats being lost or broken and would take them on the plane. It would also be much easier to keep your children happy if they're in familiar seats... not to mention plan lapbelts are very easy for kids to undo if they're curious. It's a lot to manage, but I think with the kit to connect it to your carry on it would be do-able and you would know that your carseats hadn't been damaged.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I also suggest the travelling toddler to get seats and kids to the gate. I would also use the seats on the plane. What would you do if they broke your ma? You would have no seats on arrival. Also unless they can unbuckle they will stay in ther carseats. No sure on the lapbelt only.

Maggie

Here's a thread I started about my Marathon that I checked as luggage.

I'd try to avoid checking them if at all possible. If you do need to, at least gate check them in a bag.

Northriver

Here's a thread I started about my Marathon that I checked as luggage.

I'd try to avoid checking them if at all possible. If you do need to, at least gate check them in a bag.

There are also some videos on youtube of baggage handlers tossing carseats around. I've seen them tossed myself, from the plane windows. I wouldn't check one, even gate check, unless absolutely necessary, or unless you had a box.

That said, I'm not sure how you'll manage 2 carseats and 2 yr olds. Maybe a luggage cart to carry both stacked carseats, and have a backpack for yourself and each child?

At the least, check one and bring one on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC