Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Flyging and checking Britax Marathons

I am flying and considering checking my marathons and using the CARES on the plane. (i'm flying alone w/ 4 y/o twins)
    Wondering if the marathons are considered too big to check (w/out having to pay extra) and would kind of bag would adequatly protect them. thx. Elyse

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Flyging and checking Britax Marathons

I'd probably get a padded bag with wheels, that way you can take them to the gate with you and gate check them as the last things on the plane. That way they're not handled by the luggage people from the check in desk to the baggage claim. I wouldn't use a seat that'd been treated like that if I could absolutely avoid it.

Course, if I was going to gate check seats I'd just use them. Why not take them with you on board?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

thx. I think i may have a tough time managing two marathons, plus two unruly 4 year olds plus carry on through large airport to gate...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    thx. I think i may have a tough time managing two marathons, plus two unruly 4 year olds plus carry on through large airport to gate...
    I use the traveling toddler. It will connect the Marathon to you carry-on bags. Then, you can put your children in the Marathons if you don't think they can stay with you while walking, and push/pull them through the airport.

I would let each child bring their own child sized backpack. Those can be connected to your carryon with Carabiners if they are riding in their seat through the airport. Once you get to the gate, unhook the contraption and gate check your carry-ons. You cannot wheel the whole thing down the aisle, because the Marathon is too wide to fit.

Unregistered

That looks good. Do you need to put the Marathons in some kind of a bag if you're gate checing them?

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

http://www.safefit.com/p_detail.php?...&id_article=45

This is the bag my sister uses for her Marathons. Both she and her dh are airline pilots so they fly ALOT. My 2 nieces are 3 & 5 and often my sister flies alone with them to visit Daddy (sis is currently not working). She has a hard time managing 2 seats and both kids on the plane so she prefers to gate check and use CARES for the girls. Her Marathons fit great in these bags, she can put one on her back which is a plus, and this company's customer service is great.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

Unregistered

Smile Re: Flyging and checking Britax Marathons

i have a 3 year old. i always check mine (and have traveled with it many times). the airlines used to give me a large plastic bag to wrap it in for free. a few months ago continental charged me $5 for it. this past trip (we flew to italy about 4 weeks ago and returned yesterday) they didnt have the plastic and it got checked "naked" and came thru just fine on the way there. the return trip they lost the carseat. without the bag, it went thru "oversized" check-in and didnt get on the plane. if i had actually purchased the britax luggage bag made special for the carseat instead of cheaping out and expecting to get the free plastic, it wouldve made it on the plane with regular luggage. its not too big to be checked with the rest of the suitcases.

i dont know what the CARES are - will have to look into that. my son just sits next to me - i put him by window, never on aisle since i fear something from overhead will fall out on him - and i use lapbelt.

long story short - i recommend purchasing the manufacturers luggage bag for carseat. i am going to buy it tonight for my next trip!
    good luck!

Senior Community Member

At one point there was a picture floating around of a MA that got cracked after being checked on a plane... hopefully someone can guide you to that.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk of the carseats being lost or broken and would take them on the plane. It would also be much easier to keep your children happy if they're in familiar seats... not to mention plan lapbelts are very easy for kids to undo if they're curious. It's a lot to manage, but I think with the kit to connect it to your carry on it would be do-able and you would know that your carseats hadn't been damaged.
    Mama to an amazing 8 month old baby boy and many fur babies!

CPS Technician

I also suggest the travelling toddler to get seats and kids to the gate. I would also use the seats on the plane. What would you do if they broke your ma? You would have no seats on arrival. Also unless they can unbuckle they will stay in ther carseats. No sure on the lapbelt only.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Here's a thread I started about my Marathon that I checked as luggage.

I'd try to avoid checking them if at all possible. If you do need to, at least gate check them in a bag.
    Emily (7.5) Monterey / Eleanor (4) Frontier 85 / Samantha (22 months) RF Radian

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    Here's a thread I started about my Marathon that I checked as luggage.

I'd try to avoid checking them if at all possible. If you do need to, at least gate check them in a bag.
    There are also some videos on youtube of baggage handlers tossing carseats around. I've seen them tossed myself, from the plane windows. I wouldn't check one, even gate check, unless absolutely necessary, or unless you had a box.

That said, I'm not sure how you'll manage 2 carseats and 2 yr olds. Maybe a luggage cart to carry both stacked carseats, and have a backpack for yourself and each child?

At the least, check one and bring one on the plane.