Warning about your Scenera

all together ooky

Dang, just checked mine and it has the spikes. No harness damage though. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be extra careful when using it as our spare. Ugh.

ADS

Qarin

Should this thread, or one with the information, go somewhere that everyone (non-registerd) can see it?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Why doesn't someone just start a new thread in another forum (car seat chat?) with the relevant information? That way others don't have to week thorugh three pages of posts to get the info they need. :twocents:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'll move this thread to Carseat Chat in a moment so it will be visible for all. I just happened to notice the new posts in the thread asking to have it moved while doing a quick skim of threads this morning. :) If you really want to get mod's attention to request moving something, you can always report the thread and ask that it be moved. :thumbsup:

featherhead

Hmmm, I just got my nephew's Scenera replaced because of this problem, and the new seat they sent me (which the guy on the phone said the problem was "fixed") still had the spikes. I think it was Feb 08 DOM. Oh, and the seat was never used RF, and it had about 4-6" snag line. So, should I file down the spikes on the new seat? They sent me a shipping label for the old seat, but what would they do if I didn't return the seat? If I got a new harness strap for it, it could be used(if I did something about the spikes anyway).

dd9736

JUst a thought, for those who have a scenera as their only seat, and have this problem, I would personally take the seat back to where you bought it, as defective,

I don't have a scenera, but if you need a seat, and can't wait for dorel to get new harness straps to you, it's a thought.

fyrfightermomma

I just bought a new Scenera this morning for my oldest from Target (they have a really nice blue pattern now). No spikes at all but definately has a different harness material than my other spare. DOM is 5/30/08.

Also, did they change the buckle recently?? Different than the pink one I got a while back.

carseatcrazy

I just brought mine in to wash the cover and check for spikes. Manufacture date
is March 13 2008 and it has the spikes and snag marks in the harness. It's one of the darker pink ones from Walmart.:mad:

Brandy
Tech in Canada

Ok, I am unistalling my scenera today and seeing how mine looks. I am having a hard time tightening it lately. I bet you anything it is snagging. If this is the truth! I am calling them and I hate Dorel! ;-)
I just got the scenera so I could rear face my then 26 month old who was 25 pounds. Now he is almost outgrown it as well as my daycare boy. I wonder if they would just give me my money back :whistle: so I can get another seat. :whistle:

PixieEMT

The people that are reporting that they have damage--------File a complaint with NHTSA asap! Try and take pictures too of your damage! I do have the email for the lead investigator from NHTSA, if you PM me I will give you his direct email. I'm sure he would love to see more pics of damage.

*I would not file the spikes down
*I would call Dorel and tell them about the problem. *Also tell Dorel that you are filing a complaint with NHTSA

* It is your choice if you would like to accept the new "puncture proof" harness they are offering.

My advice would be tell dorel you are buying a new seat. They will refund you up to $49.99 for your Scenera IF you purchase another Dorel product. Copy the reciept and fax it to them with a short cover letter. They will send you a packet to cut your old harness , remove the DOM stick and a 3" patch of material to send back to them.
I returned my Scenera though to the store after copying the receipt. I'm putting the $ toward a Britax. I'm done with Dorel.

ZephyrBlue

The people that are reporting that they have damage--------File a complaint with NHTSA asap! Try and take pictures too of your damage! I do have the email for the lead investigator from NHTSA, if you PM me I will give you his direct email. I'm sure he would love to see more pics of damage.

*I would not file the spikes down
*I would call Dorel and tell them about the problem. *Also tell Dorel that you are filing a complaint with NHTSA

* It is your choice if you would like to accept the new "puncture proof" harness they are offering.

My advice would be tell dorel you are buying a new seat. They will refund you up to $49.99 for your Scenera IF you purchase another Dorel product. Copy the reciept and fax it to them with a short cover letter. They will send you a packet to cut your old harness , remove the DOM stick and a 3" patch of material to send back to them.
I returned my Scenera though to the store after copying the receipt. I'm putting the $ toward a Britax. I'm done with Dorel.

This is excellent advice, IMO

Ok, mine has no damage *YET*---I looked and saw none. I found out why it wasn't tightening, though, so that is fixed. But.... Date of Manufacture is 2/07---

Mine does have the jagged edges! UGHHH!!!!

Now, what should I do? Call anyways? I don't feel safe using this seat now! My kids still have a good 6 months in it I think.

Stretchy Glue

Ok, mine has no damage *YET*---I looked and saw none. I found out why it wasn't tightening, though, so that is fixed. But.... Date of Manufacture is 2/07---

Now, what should I do? Call anyways? I don't feel safe using this seat now! My kids still have a good 6 months in it I think.

I would at least put some tape on the spikes to keep them from snagging. It shouldn't alter the way it works, just prevent it from getting stuck.

Synchro246

. . .The harness appears to be fine, which SHOCKS me since those spikes are SHARP! I now have a lovely scratch across my finger from where it brushed up against my finger. :mad:
Not to be glib, but is this reportable? Ow! :mad:

Supposedly they "fixed" the spikes, but since the fix, there seems to be more problems. If I had aScenera in use right now, I might put tape on the spike to make it more blunt. Not so much as to interfere, but just enough to make the ends not so sharp.

What are the "more problems"?

Stretchy Glue

Not to be glib, but is this reportable? Ow! :mad:

What are the "more problems"?

Well, in December my friend had a problem with her seat that was 1 year old, she called Dorel and got a new one and they had "different" spikes. The 2nd type of spike actually tore the harness more than the first type. That's what I meant by different. Maybe that was the wrong word.

PixieEMT

Call Dorel, explain the problem. Tell them flat out you DO NOT want a new puncture proof harness, you would rather go buy a replacement seat......they will refund you up to 49.99 to purchase a new seat. You have to fax it to them, they will mail you an evenlope telling you to send them the harness, DOM sticker and 3" patch of material.

What you do with the 49.99 you get back is up to you. Keep the Scenera or buy something different (Graco, Britax, Evenflo...etc.) I returned my "new" seat and will put it toward our new Boulevard. :cool:

HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC