Warning about your Scenera

happyfrog

freaky!

and scary! esp since I have my 2 1/2 yr old in one right now (well, not LITERALLY right now, he's in bed, lol) but yeesh!

I am so totally getting on the phone first thing in the am and ordering new car seats - whether or not I get reimbursed from insurance company! I am not liking that at all - that my kid is in a seat that might not be safe. .. sigh. . .

wonder where i can buy a safe seat one? that way i can get my newborn out of the radian, too, and give it to the 2 1/2 yr old (it's his seat anyway). . .

man am i glad i got my credit card limit increased this weekend!

bettyann

ADS

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
Well. . .I pulled mine out of DH's car yesterday, and sure enough, it's snagged. UGH!!! It's DOM of 3/29/08 I think. . .I'm pretty peeved, and I'll have to check my mom's car too.

I'm filing with NHTSA tomorrow. This is completely unacceptable!

Simplysomething

Not recommending ANYONE do this--but do you think that it would harm the seat to file down the spikes?

(ETA: Remember, I no longer have a Scenera, so I won't be tempted to do this)

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
My DH (who happens to work at a component crash test facility, but in no way is an expert on child restraints) said we should just file it down. I do agree that it SHOULDN'T affect the seat, although I think that I would be more comfortable putting tape over it or something. I told him not to do anything until we hear back from Dorel (yeah right!) and NHTSA. I would hate to alter the seat and then hear that one of them wants to see the problem.

christineka

I checked dd's seat. It is dom april 08. The harness has a 1 inch snag line thing. What do I do? Is the harness still safe? Do I call dorel??? Will they give me another seat or am I out of luck? I bought the seat because I could afford it.

Christine

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
Dorel is closed today due to flooding. They're in Indiana.

I personally do not feel safe using our seat, because we have a 1 inch snag too. I'm worried that it will get completely torn. However, we have the SafeSeat 1 that my son still fits into, so that's back in rotation for the time being.

If you afford another seat, I would try to get one, but if you can't, I would recommend continuing to use the seat. This is one of those tough choices, but I would think a snagged harness is better than no seat at all. I would recommend NOT loosening and tightening the harness very much if at all to avoid any further snagging issues.

To the people who have the problem, are your Sceneras forward facing or rear facing? Mine is RFing and I'm wondering if it's happening to ffing seats too.

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
That's what I'm thinking too. I think (but not 100% sure) that FFing the harness wouldn't move forward towards the owie bits. . .

christineka

Mine is rfing.

I have an evenflo titan in dh's car that dd can use for a little while. Dd weighs 27 pounds. The seat has a short shell too. I'll switch seats when dh comes home. He'll think I'm nuts. Oh, wait, he already thinks that. I'll call dorel when they are open again. (Please let me know!)

Christine

Simplysomething

When I had my issue with my harness--they told me that it was absolutely NOT safe to continue using the seat until I replaced the harness.

Granted I had HOLES in my harness--but I'm think snags would be just as bad.

PixieEMT

My son's seat was always rear facing from February until last Thursday when I noticed the damage.

I'm thinking it *might* still be an issue with FF seats too......b/c if you loosened your harness system (since it is a continuous loop) to remove your child and it was sagging under the restraint then you pulled it tight it *may* snag? :shrug-shoulders:

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
I'm on the phone with Dorel right now. They are NOT issuing a recall at this time, however they are having the problem investigated by their "Quality Department"

I'll post back with more info.
But they are open today and everyone who is experiencing the problem should call!!

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
They are sending me a new harness, and a prepaid envelope to send back the old strap. They said that all seats made after 3/24/08 were issued with the new harness which is a completely different material, and is stronger. . .

I still think I'm going to file with NHTSA because I'm not sure how many people will notice the problem until it's too late. . .know what I mean?

ZephyrBlue

When we got rid of our 2 back-up Sceneras and Apex, DH said, "I wonder what's wrong with the Scenera that people don't know about that Dorel IS aware of." Guess now we know :mad: :thumbsdown:

I hope that everyone w/a seat that has spikes files a complaint w/NHTSA. It wasn't until those of us w/Recaro Comos filed that a recall was issued for the non-locking clip issue.

U

Unregistered1

Has Dorel or NHTSA stated that the snagged harnesses are not safe to use? Should I post this over at my other parenting board? Several people there have sceneras.

christineka

I brought my scenera in last night. I got mixed up about the dom. I bought it in April, but the dom is jan 4th 08. I tried calling dorel this morning and was told they were not open. I didn't do my math though, so not sure if it was lunch break for them.

Christine

PixieEMT

They are sending me a new harness, and a prepaid envelope to send back the old strap. They said that all seats made after 3/24/08 were issued with the new harness which is a completely different material, and is stronger. . .

I still think I'm going to file with NHTSA because I'm not sure how many people will notice the problem until it's too late. . .know what I mean?

Dorel is full of BS about the new seats.........because they DELETED the spikes on the new models!

I just spoke to rep from NHTSA today about the Scencera issue and I answered some additional questions for him....like: How old was/is the child using the seat? Was my seat forward or rear facing? etc.. Then I emailed pictures of the damage to him. I offered to send my seat to him, just incase they want to analyze it.

I called Dorel today.....again. I told the CS rep that I spoke and filed a complaint with NHTSA about my problem. I have to fax a copy of my receipt to show I purchased a new Cosco product. They will only refund the $ when they get piece of my old seat to verify it was destroyed. Piece include the DOM sitcker, Harness and 3" patch of material! Because I can really see how a 3" swatch of material will destroy a seat and "prove" it was destroyed! :rolleyes:
I told her that I *might* need to send my seat to NHTSA if they request it. Ahhhhhhhhhh , magically the CS rep put me through to an engineer and I told her "I can't send pieces of my seat to you, because NHTSA might want them." The engineer said they would refund me without the proof, because the cooperated with NHTSA fully. That's right Dorel bow down to your master NHTSA! :bow::bow:
hehehehehehheh

PixieEMT

Has Dorel or NHTSA stated that the snagged harnesses are not safe to use? Should I post this over at my other parenting board? Several people there have sceneras.

You can use my pictures to post on your parenting board too.

I would have them check their seats. I'm not sure 100% but it seems like older seats 4/2008 and older have the spikes on the bottom. If they have damage report it to NHTSA and stop using the seat. Call Dorel and they can get the new harness. But, my personal advise would be to puchase a new restraint all together. Which Dorel will refund them the $ if they buy a new one. I would tell them to purchase a DOM of 5/2008 or newer.

If they have NO damage and spikes to watch their seats closely for damage.

U

Unregistered1

According to my search at ODI, NHTSA has been investigating the scenera since at least february. If they're true to the 'all complaints will be resolved within four months' then we should be hearing something soon. If NHTSA feels it's a recall issue, what do they do? And if they decide it's not, do they make any kind of announcement?

Forgot link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ I looked at the monthly defect reports.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC