Warning about your Scenera

PixieEMT

Ahhhh yes! So today I went to reinstall the Scenera into my husband's car. I had taken it out on Monday to take it to the "ABC's of baby care" class at the local hospital.

So, the locking latch plate was stuck on the crotch strap. I pulled back the cover on the left side of the seat to get my hand in and to my suprise this is what I saw!!!!!!!!
DOM of 12/12/07 purchased in Feb 2008
DSC03308.jpg

06052008046.jpg

06052008042.jpg

:eek:

It was on the left side the part of the harness that extends up by his hip!
I took the seat out and flipped it over to find this:
06052008045.jpg

and this
06052008042.jpg

So, I took the Scenera and literally threw it onto my front porch...adding some blepp *bleep* *%!@* :hitselfonhead::soapbox:! My husband standing there just staring at me! "This what you get when you buy Dorel s*it!" I screamed! "We're going to buy an EFTA right now! Husband did not argue on bit...he was actually pissed too!

Bought the EFTA didn't like it so we returned it. The EPP foam that is next to the rear facing belt slots was a turn off. I can kind of imagine over time it chipping, from installing and reinstalling the seat. Maybe not...I don't want to chance it.

Called Dorel! Only to get a half a@@ answer! The customer service lady was a real witch.
CS: "Well mama, cut the harness off and send it to us in a prepaid envelope and we will ship you a new "puncture proof" harness."
Me: Ummmmm NO, I'm a CPST...I can clearly see this jagged edge that will continue to shred my harness and I don't want your replacement parts, replacement seat, I want my money BACK!
CS: Mama don't cut me off or I will disconnect you and don't interupt me when I' m speaking!
:whistle: Oh really sweet heart!!!
ME: Why all of the sudden do you have "puncture proof" harnesses??? Do you know that your having this problem with the jagged plastic piece underneath!??!?!
CS: No we aren't having problems, we are making all our seats now with "Puncture proof harnesses." :rolleyes:
YAAAAAA RIGHT LADY :blah blah blah:

ME: I have a credit card statment with the purchase on it.
CS: We need the original receipt of purchase from the store, that's what my superivisor said. If you buy our product , we refund you up to $49.99 and ask you to send us the destroyed seat parts. Fax us the receipt.
ME: FINE!

SO RETURNED MY EFTA to Kmart and bought a Scenera....which I plan on returning after I copy my receipt and fax it to them!!!! and look what the new seat with a DOM of 5/2008 looks like!!!!

DSC03306.jpg

compared to this and the display model is an older 2007 in Kmart the same way!
DSC03305.jpg

Can we say Touriva notches everyone??? :whistle: We all know about that! DOREL IS A JOKE I WILL NEVER BUY A SINGLE PRODUCT MADE BY THEM AGAIN!
I'm sending an email with pictures tonight to them and calling back and requesting a supervisor tomorrow!
I filed a complaint with NHTSA ...btw!!!!!!!! :evil grin:
Sara

Last edited:
ADS

Dillipop

Unfortunately, I've heard of this problem before. Almost had it happen on mine, but since I knew to make sure the straps were not touching those spikes before installing the seat rfing, I haven't had any problems. It sucks though for those who don't know to be careful and move the straps out of the way and get punctures like that.

I wonder how they made puncture proof harnesses anyway??

Qarin

Interesting. My Scenera, which happens to be sitting here next to me, has the same pointy bits, but the strap isn't frayed or damaged at all. DOM 12/19/06.

cheerbop

Well, this doesn't make me happy. We were getting ready to buy one for Grandma's car for our RF 18m old.
hmmmmmm

L-and-A

we had that same problem! dorel replaced my seat for me.. i noticed the harness wasnt tightening well and kept getting hung up when i uninstalled it thats what i found

PixieEMT

Ya, I'm glad we're looking into a Britax, Recaro, or Radian. Haven't decided. It just makes me mad thinking how sneaky Dorel can be.

mimieliza

We need a secondary seat and I've considered just buying a Scenera, but I haven't been able to get over the Touriva notches fiasco. And Evenflo has also had some serious problems with their infant seats that makes me wary of that company as well. :(

For now, I have a Roundabout that my DD has outgrown RFing (so we're not currently using it). It kind of sucks to not have many options for convertibles under $150.

Simplysomething

Yeah, the little pointy things on the end of the scenera poked holes in our harness.

Here
is the thread where I posted about it, in May 2006. I'm sure, if I hadn't noticed them at that time, I would
have the same issue you had (that is...long jagged--and not...pokes)

The pics I posted back then:

THAT seat had a DOM of Jan 2006, I called Dorel and they replaced the harness with no issues--though, they did ...remind me...to make sure I kept the receipts for any future car-seat purchases. Which was annoying--but yeah, this is not a "new" issue, since I had it in 2006. Once I was aware of the little puncture points at the bottom, I made sure that I never loosened the harness too much while it was installed--lest it slipped beyond those points, and I never had any other holes. But still it's stupid!

ETA: I no longer have a scenera. I ended up only using that seat for about a year, before I replaced it with the FPSVD.

Stretchy Glue

Don't call Dorel, call NHTSA. We have a gal on our team that is working with NHTSA right now on this exact problem. She got a box of the straps because we give this seat away and she said they are much tougher, thicker and more puncture resistant. NHTSA needs to know though, because Dorel is minimizing the problem.

PixieEMT

Don't call Dorel, call NHTSA. We have a gal on our team that is working with NHTSA right now on this exact problem. She got a box of the straps because we give this seat away and she said they are much tougher, thicker and more puncture resistant. NHTSA needs to know though, because Dorel is minimizing the problem.

I fried that fish this afternoon! heeeee :evil grin:
I only wish I could have sent pictures with it!

I just got done emailing DOREL corp direct. Not Dorel Juvenile because they had one of those crappy email us from their website click the boxes..and I wanted pics to go with it.

PixieEMT

Yeah, the little pointy things on the end of the scenera poked holes in our harness.

Here
is the thread where I posted about it, in May 2006. I'm sure, if I hadn't noticed them at that time, I would
have the same issue you had (that is...long jagged--and not...pokes)

THAT seat had a DOM of Jan 2006, I called Dorel and they replaced the harness with no issues--though, they did ...remind me...to make sure I kept the receipts for any future car-seat purchases. Which was annoying--but yeah, this is not a "new" issue, since I had it in 2006. Once I was aware of the little puncture points at the bottom, I made sure that I never loosened the harness too much while it was installed--lest it slipped beyond those points, and I never had any other holes. But still it's stupid!

ETA: I no longer have a scenera. I ended up only using that seat for about a year, before I replaced it with the FPSVD.

On the loosening the harness too much. Yes, because even if forward facing if you loosened the harness up then gave it a pull it could catch on the spikes. They know they have/had a problem.......they are just sneaky rats.:whistle:

Mommy2Marcus

Great! I own a Scenera & now I am going to have to check it! I am unfortunatly nowhere near it right now, as in 3 hours away from it! Hehe! So hopefully I can remember in a week to check it!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've got a Scenera from Target, DOM 1-31-2008. It's got the spikes.

Should I report to NHTSA as well?

Susan

lynsgirl

I just got a Scenera a few weeks ago for ds3 to use in dh's car. I have a Touriva, but it has the notches and I don't wish to mess with that, thankyouverymuch. I will have to check on this when dh gets home. Ugh.

Stretchy Glue

Supposedly they "fixed" the spikes, but since the fix, there seems to be more problems. If I had aScenera in use right now, I might put tape on the spike to make it more blunt. Not so much as to interfere, but just enough to make the ends not so sharp.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Mine has a DOM of 11-07 and has spikes. I haven't had a problem, but that's probably because I've only used the seat about 5 times. I will report it to NHTSA when I have a chance.

I also looked at the (pink) Scenera on display at Meijer when we were grocery shopping this morning. DOM 3-08, with spikes. :thumbsdown:

celtic1885

Great! I own a Scenera & now I am going to have to check it! I am unfortunatly nowhere near it right now, as in 3 hours away from it! Hehe! So hopefully I can remember in a week to check it!

Right there with you! Going to have to check it tomorrow when I get home, Argh! Everytime I think I've got the carseat situation all sorted out something else happens!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC