Comment to Article in East Valley Tribune (Arizona)

tjham

(I posted this in news but I don't think many people go there, so I'm reposting it here.)

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/117739

Amazingly, it's not bad! I wish they had mentioned 40 lbs for booster use, not just 4 or 5 yrs old. And that they had said longer RF to 2 was 4 times safer, HWH seats, etc. But all in all, a lot better than the last so called carseat safety article they did a few years ago . I also wish they had put other numbers for seat checks. They quoted one thing from SafeKids but didn't give their number.

The picture of the carseat is puzzling, doesn't look like any real one I've seen. But the chest clip is right! Yeah! It seems to be an infant seat yet is FF and shows the tether as if it's in use. I wish they had emphasized to READ THE MANUAL and learn to install yourself, not just have the fire department install it.

Katy already responded with this (Thanks!):

Interesting article. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't overly informative. Hopefully it will get some people in for a seat check who might not have realized the service existed.

That carseat illustration sure does look wrong. Hopefully they don't give any parents an idea that a bucket seat can be installed forward facing.

I didn't like how the article made it sound like they were an installation service. They kept saying "we install" or "we reinstall" the carseat, but it didn't sound like they trained the parent to do the installs. Hopefully they do some training during the checks.

I've got this much so far to send to the author. How does this sound?
I know it really doesn't matter now as the article has already been published but maybe,
if they do another one in the future, he'll do more research? One could only hope.
I know a comment for the epaper article would have to be shorter. I haven't worked on that yet.

I know a comment for the epaper article would have to be shorter. I haven't worked on that yet.

Dear Mr. Grady,

Your article on child passenger safety was very welcome and came at a good time.
Most of it was right on target and it would be great if people would pay heed to it.

However, there were a few areas that could have gone just a little bit further.
For example, saying the transition to a booster can take place around 4 or 5 is true,
but most Child Passenger Safety Technicians recommend that the child also weigh at least 40 lbs before going to a booster.
And...it would have been nice to mention that there are many seats now that harness to 65 lbs.

The drawing of the baby is adorable.
The harness straps seem to be snug and the chest clip is at the right level.
Great!
But a baby that size should NOT be forward facing as shown in the picture,
especially as that seat appears to be an infant seat which is rear facing only.
It is odd to have that picture right next to the wonderful statement that
"Experts recommend that infants stay rear facing as long as possible."

It also would have been useful to include some SafeKids numbers for seat check information.
Most readers live too far from the Scottsdale Fire Station to even consider going there.
And it also would have helped to mention how important it is for people to
Read The Manual!
And that a good CPST will teach the parent to install the seat themselves.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

I think your letter is very good. Maybe this is the start of some more articles for them and they can start including some better details on using carseats correctly.

tjham

How about this abbreviated version for the Comment section online?

Great article! I love that it encourages rear facing to the extent of the seat, which usually gets most kids to 2 yrs old. So much safer! But while the baby in the picture is harnessed snugly and the chest clip is right, it is in an "infant seat" which is shown incorrectly forward facing.
Concerning booster use, parents should be aware that in addition to being 4-5 yrs old, kids should also weigh at least 40 lbs and be very mature to safely use a belt positiong booster, and that now there are many higher weight harnessed seats on the market that harness to 50-65 lbs!
Parents should always be told to READ THE MANUAL and instructors should always teach parents to install the seats themselves.

MomToEliEm

Your "comment" sounds pretty good. I think it addresses the main issues with the article, yet doesn't sound negative or attacking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC