Adult safety restrains(the ones that are already in the car that is ;) )

U

Unregistered

Ive learned so much about child safety, but what about adult?
What is the best way to wear a seatbelt?(other than it not cutting into you and at your hips, how much at your hips? and is it better for the seatbelt guide to be set right above your shoulder or farther above your shoulder when it doesnt change where the seatbelt hits?)
Where should the headrest be?
Do you have to have a headrest?
What if the headrest in the back blocks the drivers view and poses a problem?
How far or close should you be in your seat?
How reclined or how straight up?

These are a LOT of questions but all this carseat info has really got me thinking about my own safety. I ALWAYS buckle up(and always make everyone riding buckle up or they aren't allowed), sit as far away from the stearing wheel as comfortable, and as straight up as comfortable. I always make sure my butt is in the back of the seat and the lap of the belt is as far down to my hips as I can get it and the shoulderbelt is hitting the bulk of my shoulder and not into my neck or slipping off. Ive never messed with my own headrest, never though to reposition it?

Im wondering how safe I am. How safe am I?

I have been in a few car accidents.
1 I hit someone going 20-25mph when she stopped to turn but didn't turn on her blinker at all, my car locked up/went dead/ and I couldnt do anything to stop it(tried to turn, move, something and nothing happened) I hydroplaned 20' past 2 townhome streets(front door street then backdoor street) and hit her.
2 again with the hydroplaning dead car thing, couldnt turn even if I wanted to because I would of flown into a ditch, it was a bad night bad curve kinda thing at 30-35mph.
Luckily neither time was anyone hurt because everyone(other drivers included) had on seatbelts.

I've always been big on car safety(mind you I was 16 when I had those wrecks and once we got my car fixed-and I learned some defensive driving- I havent had even a near wreck since, that was 3-4years ago). I lost my aunt and uncle to 2 seperate accidents, 8 years apart(aunt flipped her car in 91 into a ditch without a seatbelt and windows open, broke her neck on the ground, uncle and DF hit head on in '99 by a truck on the highway both lost). My cousin is an orphan because of that. She now has a 4mo and is pretty conscious about safety as well, maybe not quite as much as she should be though.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask and just now have. All links, tips, anything is welcome to help educate or confirm my thoughts.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unregistered said:
Ive learned so much about child safety, but what about adult?
What is the best way to wear a seatbelt?(other than it not cutting into you and at your hips, how much at your hips? and is it better for the seatbelt guide to be set right above your shoulder or farther above your shoulder when it doesnt change where the seatbelt hits?)
Where should the headrest be?
Do you have to have a headrest?
What if the headrest in the back blocks the drivers view and poses a problem?
How far or close should you be in your seat?
How reclined or how straight up?

In general:

Shoulder belt tight across the center of the shoulder and chest, lap belt tight on the lower hips or upper thighs.

The headrest should be as close to the back of your head as possible and high enough such that the top is above the center of your head.

You don't need a headrest if your vehicle seats are high enough that they are above the center of your head.

Unused rear head rests can be lowered all the way or removed for visibility. I'd keep them in the vehicle in case you have passengers.

The deeper you are into the seat, the safer you will be. Usually, more upright is safer.

These are a LOT of questions but all this carseat info has really got me thinking about my own safety. I ALWAYS buckle up(and always make everyone riding buckle up or they aren't allowed), sit as far away from the stearing wheel as comfortable, and as straight up as comfortable. I always make sure my butt is in the back of the seat and the lap of the belt is as far down to my hips as I can get it and the shoulderbelt is hitting the bulk of my shoulder and not into my neck or slipping off. Ive never messed with my own headrest, never though to reposition it?

Sounds pretty good. Make sure your head restraint is adjusted as close to your head as possible and that it is high enough such that the top of the head rest is at least at the level of the top of your ears.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask and just now have. All links, tips, anything is welcome to help educate or confirm my thoughts.

Our vehicle safety links pages are a good place to start:

http://www.suvsafety.info/links.html

U

Unregistered

Shoulder belt tight across the center of the shoulder and chest, lap belt tight on the lower hips or upper thighs.

I have problems getting it low enough. Ive seen what happens when it is up too high and I dont want to risk that, I push it as far down as I can but its still not as low as Id like(hitting the tops of my thighs). There is no position I can sit in that it hits my legs.

The headrest should be as close to the back of your head as possible and high enough such that the top is above the center of your head.

I cant adjust it to move forward towards my head, it only moves up and down, is that ok?

You don't need a headrest if your vehicle seats are high enough that they are above the center of your head.

They arent tall enough.

Unused rear head rests can be lowered all the way or removed for visibility. I'd keep them in the vehicle in case you have passengers.

It was them at their lowest position that blocked my view. I couldn't hardly see over them at all so I took them out. I think I may have lost them, that was 4 years ago that I took them out. There is 1 passenger in the car that needs the headrest and the seat is behind me so I might be able to swing putting the headrest back(if I can find it!).

Sounds pretty good. Make sure your head restraint is adjusted as close to your head as possible and that it is high enough such that the top of the head rest is at least at the level of the top of your ears.

The headrest is definitely level or even above my ears, that may be why I have never though to adjust it. I of course will check for sure next time I get in the car.

What about the steering wheel? How should it be tilted? I am just realizing if the airbag was to deploy it may be pointing up too much and deploy in my face?

U

Unregistered

hmmmm, well I'm not short(5'10) and I sit on the next to last position on the trackbar(when I need to fix it after cleaning the car or something I move it all the way back then up one click). I think its at least 10" so thats good. And it didnt say anything about the angle of the sterring wheel. Does it matter? Should it be pointing towards my face or chest? I have it, I think, on almost the highest position because I am tall so I need it at a comfortable driving angle.

And I found the headrest so I'll put it back in there and see how it does. And then when he is in the car adjust it to his head and leave it as he is the only one that sits back there.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have no other advice for you offhand, sorry. The IIHS and NHTSA websites may have more information, but I do not know of any specific links that cover this so you'd have to search for it there. Someone else might have some tips for you, too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC