Question Should I trade 99 Windstar for 03 Focus?

scatterbunny

I've been trying to sell my 99 Windstar for a few weeks, mainly because we only have one child, and 99% of our driving is in city limits, and gas mileage is killing us. In the year that I've owned it, we've only used the extra seating a handful of times.

I was leaning toward a sedan like a Ford Focus, Honda Civic or Accord, or Toyota Corolla or Camry. I'd only be able to get a 93-95 Honda or Toyota, based on what I've seen for local pricing, but I could get a 2000+ Ford Focus.

I like the idea of a Focus, especially because I can get one with LATCH (my Windstar does not have lower anchors, only top tether anchors), and use our Clek LATCHed, or consider a Monterey in the future. I also love the good gas mileage of a Focus, and the Focus gets pretty good crash test scores for a small car.

Someone contacted me with a 2003 Ford Focus with 75K miles, wanting to trade for my 99 Windstar. Is this a good deal? It seems like it to me. Is there anything I should consider before leaning toward accepting the trade?

Focus owners: what do you love and hate about your vehicle?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm going to chime in even though I don't actually have a Focus because I've been in a few over the last year, and we considered one when we were looking at cars to replace DH's Saturn last year. :) My only real quibble with the Focus models I've seen, including the new '08 models, is that they don't have any headrests for rear passengers. :( The lack of headrests might be an issue for a tall one like H. when it comes to using a booster, and when she passes the 5-step test to forgo a booster. There might be a Monterey in your future for her to provide her with head support in a Focus over time. :)

Jeanum

Staff member
I thought there was at least one older Focus sedan I was in for a a check or during my certification class that was a sedan without headrests, but maybe it varies some from model year to model year? Consumer Reports just reviewed the '08 Focus sedan in the July 2008 issue, and CR specifically complained about the lack of rear headrests. :( It's odd that Ford would have decontented and taken away headrests if the sedan model had them before, but stranger things have happened in the automotive realm. :eek: I think the '08 model differs very little from previous Focus model years other than some options like Sync and some cosmetic changes to the exterior.

scatterbunny

WEIRD that the 08 wouldn't have rear headrests! I'll be sure to specifically ask the owner if their 03 has headrests.

I just got an email from the local Ford dealership. Their internet sales guy saw my Windstar ad (for sale or trade, with my specific requirements for the trade vehicle) and wants us to come down to the showroom and see what they have. I emailed back that, based on what Kelley Blue Book trade-in value is for my van, and what KBB retail value is for my van and for a 2000+ Focus (the oldest I want to go), I didn't think he could help me. I explained that we don't want payments, we want to trade straight-across. He emailed back asking for a few details on my van (mileage, model, options, condition), and said he'd see what he could do for us. He gave me the dealership's website and said to look around, that he thinks they have a few cars that fit our needs. We'll see. :p

Jeanum

Staff member
Wow, the dealership is checking CL for leads, interesting. Play hardball with the dealership if you go that route, definitely, to get what you want. Happy shopping and trading. :)

scatterbunny

Yes, I'm going to check other dealership websites within a couple hour's drive and see what they have, what the pricing is, and use that info to get a better deal locally, if I can. :p

scatterbunny

Ugh, well, I'm looking at pictures of Focuses from 2001-2003 and none of them show rear headrests. :confused: I'm looking at both the LX and SE model, thinking maybe they weren't available on the LX, but were on the SE. I don't get it, I would swear another CPST who owns an older Focus told me they had headrests outboard, but not in the hatchback or wagon.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We have an '06 Ford Focus Wagon, and it DOES have headrests in the rear outboard positions :thumbsup:

We've been generally happy with it. No major problems in 2.5 years, (other than accident damage :eek:) but I'd be leary of any car that did have problems in that short of time!

I find the rear seat quite comfortable, and we have travelled with two adults on either side of DS's carseat (not roomy, but not bad.) It has more cargo room than a Ford Escape. We have brought a dryer home in this car with the hatch closed (and I think we were even able to keep the seats up.) :thumbsup: The folding rear seats are a little awkward. You have to flip forward the seat bench part first, then fold down the backs and remove the headrests for the flat cargo feature (you can fold down the backs without flipping the bench, but then the cargo area is not flat.)

I can't comment (right now) on gas mileage or anything - I kinda don't pay attention to those things :eek: and DH is away. It's not as good as our Civic was, but it's also more car than that.

You can see what I wrote about seat compatibility here.

HTH! :)

scatterbunny

Thanks. :) I think the Focus wagons in our price range didn't come with headrests, they only added those in the newer model years.

The local dealership guy got back to me again, and answered a few questions. It doesn't look like the private party trade for the 03 is going to work out, because according to him, the 03 didn't even have the option of headrests. :confused: So Jean was right...the Focus had headrests in at least some models prior to the 03MY, but did away with them at least for that year, then added them again, on at least some MYs, later. Very confusing!

It sounds like, from the dealership, we wouldn't be able to trade straight-across for something as new as an 03, and I wouldn't want it anyway, without headrests. I told him whatever I get has to have headrests outboard, has to have a center rear shoulderbelt, has to have LATCH (if it's a Focus), and has to be an automatic. I really want a/c and cruise control, too. I know there are some base model Focuses that don't have power steering/power windows/power door locks/ac/cruise control, and I hope I don't have to settle for one of those!

scatterbunny

Okay, this is getting weirder: the dealership guy is now saying the Focus never came with headrests, in any model year. :confused: :confused: :confused: Why have I heard different?

So now he's trying to get me interested in an 01 Jetta, an 01 Sable, or an 06 Aveo. I laughed out loud when I read the Aveo part; like THAT will be a straight-across trade, no payments? Suuurreee. :rolleyes: He suggested those specifically because he said they fit the criteria I want (rear headrests at least outboard, rear center shoulderbelt, LATCH...although, does the 01 Jetta really have LATCH? Guess I need to go dig up my LATCH manual).

scatterbunny

I just talked to dh, and he thinks we should still strongly consider a Focus, even if it doesn't have headrests, as long as it has LATCH and a center shoulderbelt. His reasoning is that we'll just keep H in a highback as long as humanly possible, which should be at least another three years, based on how she's growing these days. Once she does get close to outgrowing highbacks, we'll consider a new vehicle at that point.

That does mean the rear seat is less safe for older kids and adults, but realistically, we almost never transport other people. When we do, it's kids the same age/same size/slightly smaller than H. They will use one of our spare seats.

I guess right now we're just feeling like good city mileage+center shoulderbelt+straight-across-trade is the way to go. We're trying to save money, yet provide reliable, safe transportation for our family. I don't need to worry about being able to transport all of H's friends, or my extended family (reasons why we chose the van). I only need to worry about transporting my own family safely, and doing so economically. With the cost of food and gas and electric going up, we have to do something.

Is my reasoning flawed? Should we reconsider going with a Focus?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Okay, this is getting weirder: the dealership guy is now saying the Focus never came with headrests, in any model year. :confused: :confused: :confused: Why have I heard different?

Well, DS is sitting in our Focus in my avatar, and you can see the headrests on either side of him. Unless there's some difference between the American and Canadian models (mine is Canadian,) which is possible, the salesguy is wrong. ;)

scatterbunny

LOL! I will tell him that I am looking at a pic of the interior of an 06 Focus and I can see headrests. :p Still a moot point for us, though, unless he's wrong about the 00-03 Focus headrests.

ETA: do you have a photo that really shows the headrests?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your dealer will say anything to get you to consider what they have in stock.

While a straight up trade sounds nice and easy, consider that you could get money back! Don't just let them keep the difference if the van is worth more than the car. Make sure you've done your homework on the values of the two vehicles and check autotrader.com and cars.com to see prices in your area, too!

If you have a Carmax nearby, be sure to get a guaranteed quote from them. Even if you don't sell it to or buy a car from Carmax, you have know a minimum you should expect for your van when you swap it.

munchkin

I have an '07 Focus (the last year before design change) and it does not have any headrest in the rear :(. It is the only thing I don't like about the car other than it is a car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC