Need a back up forward facing seat

tl01

I need a seat to keep on my front porch for emergency purposes in case someone ever has to p/u DS from preschool. I need a seat that is pretty easy to install in most cars. Right now, the people who might pick him up drive a current model Honda Odyssey, Honda Civic, or Subaru station wagon. The Subaru might be a challenge as it already has an infant seat and a some sort of Evenflo forward facing seat.. haven't seen it up close... but it does convert into a booster. Anyway, I'd like a seat that is fairly foolproof since I don't believe that these mom's usually do the install on their own seats. I'll have to give a quick lesson and hope they remember. Of course, cheaper is better... but if there is a super easy to install seat that costs a bit more... then I'd go for that one. I've never considered a forward only facing seat...so this is a little new for me.
Thanks!

ADS

TerisBoys

Graco Cargo is slim and lightweight, and the Evenflo Chase might work too. Both go to 40# and have relatively high harness slots.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We really liked our CarGo as a spare -- has slightly taller top slots (just make sure it's the front adjust version) than the Generations/Bolero, but the Generations/Bolero has easier shoulder belt guides for booster use....
Did you mean both go to 47 lb? ;)
Only in Canada :)

tl01

Since DS is already 34 lbs. I guess this would be an okay option... assuming he doesn't hit 40 lbs before a reasonable emergency usage booster age. I'd obviously want him to be at least 4/40. Hmm... I wonder if 6 lbs would work for almost 2 years. I assume his weight gain will continue to slow down in the next few years.

abacus2

Do all of the potential emergency cars have LATCH? If so the Radian might work. I've found the Nautilus to be an easy seatbelt install, although the width could be a problem in the Subaru.

mommycat

Only if she's in Canada. US versions go to 40#.

REALLY?! :eek: There's something that has a higher limit in Canada? I am so used to hearing about the lower RF limits and the Radian80 still just harnessing to 65 lb I guess I just assumed that was the case across the board. That's a little cool. :eek:

TerisBoys

REALLY?! :eek: There's something that has a higher limit in Canada? I am so used to hearing about the lower RF limits and the Radian80 still just harnessing to 65 lb I guess I just assumed that was the case across the board. That's a little cool. :eek:

Yep!

In fact, not too many years ago (like, when Josh hit 40# at 5yo) I was very tempted to make a run across to Canada to get him a CANADIAN seat with a higher weight limit. HWH seats in the US didn't exist until the overhead shield Futura hit the market in 1999 (followed closely by the Britax Super Elite and Laptop, and Nania Airway). Before that anything above 40# was either an EZ-On vest or special needs seat.

mish

Since DS is already 34 lbs. I guess this would be an okay option... assuming he doesn't hit 40 lbs before a reasonable emergency usage booster age. I'd obviously want him to be at least 4/40. Hmm... I wonder if 6 lbs would work for almost 2 years. I assume his weight gain will continue to slow down in the next few years.

My son weighs 34 pounds also. He was 33 pounds a year and a half ago. I bet six pounds would work for two years for you. Unless he hits a growth spurt, which could happen. I think the CarGo would be a good choice for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC