Tether anchor weight limits

U

Unregistered

I know this has been posted before, but I wasn't paying attention then.. :p I looked on the Mercury website, and it say nothing about weight limits for tether anchors, or installation being available. I do have 2 installed, but I was wondering if the weight limit is 40 pounds, since most car seats only go to 40 pounds. I have a Regent, so my daughter will be in it until she outgrows it.

Should I assume that the limit is 40 pounds and get one from EZ-On?

ADS
U

Unregistered

If it doesnt say then you are to assume its 48lbs. But the top tether anchor is recommended to be used with whatever seat have a top tether, no matter what the weight.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
First, double check your vehicle owner's manual. If nothing is published there, call the customer service line for the manufacturer of your vehicle. Those are the two best resources for accurate information.

This guide may also be helpful, but it may not apply to all models, especially ones made after it was published:

http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/LATCHApp_B_pg105.pdf

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Mercury is owned by Ford right, aren't they all the same? I know they have a 48# LATCH limit and the tethers were listed as 40/60/80 so I'm guessing it varies from car to car. YOu might call Mercury and see.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't know what the actual limits are for vehicle manufacturers, but if the dealer won't give you one for free, then EZOns are less expensive & according to EZOn they are rated higher.....

Kellyr2

OKay, now I'm confused, because everytime I've ever seen this come up, people have said that the weight limits are just for the LATCH, not the top tether. And since the Husky *requires* it to be used after 50 lbs - it never even occurred to me that some tether anchors may not be approved for that use.
I've got a Chrylser Voyager and I had a tech friend look it up and my LATCH anchors are approved up to 48 lbs, but I don't know anything about the tether limits.

U

Unregistered

Okay, according to the list CPS Darren posted, my tether anchor (with seatbelt) should be rated to 60 pounds. But with the Regent going to 80 pounds, eventually I'll have to get the EZ-On heavy duty one anyway, right?

I'll call Mercury and see what they say when I have more time. :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think there was an article w/ the tether/LATCH list. I read it and I think the concensus was use your tehter no matter what seat you have. It will still do it's job at least somewhat and if it fails it would be at the end of the crash after it's already done being needed. Make sense?

I think Toyota is 40# across the board.

Kellyr2

OKay, so if a car's anchors are only rated to a certain limit, its been discussed that its better to still use them anyway, as posted above... but EZOn makes them that go higher? Am I understanding that right? Because I just checked that list and see that mine is only approved to 48. My oldest is fluctuating between 48-50, so I think we're okay for right now. I switched him to the seat belt instead of Latch already just in case, but didn't know about this issue.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
thepeach80 said:
I think there was an article w/ the tether/LATCH list. I read it and I think the concensus was use your tehter no matter what seat you have. It will still do it's job at least somewhat and if it fails it would be at the end of the crash after it's already done being needed.

This is the general consensus for top tether anchors. See:

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P8.htm

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

Keep in mind that the manufacturer's limit is still the recommended limit. No technician or advocate would give specific comments directing a parent to do something other than the manufacturer's guidance, though we can educate on the subject and let a parent make their own choice if it appears the manufacturer isn't providing the safest alternative.

For lower LATCH anchors, you should always switch to a seatbelt installation at the weight limit given by the manufacturer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC