Have you been called out for HWH?

U

Unregistered1

I know a lot of people have said that strangers have approached them saying that their dc are too big to RF because they are practicing ERF, but has anyone ever had anyone say something to them about having an older child in a harness? Just curious.
The only person I've had say anything was my neighbor (same one whose 3 y/o rides in a seatbelt)'s 7 year old dd. She asked me how old A was, I told her 4 (she was at the time) and she said "She doesn't need a car seat anymore you know." :( I gave her a quick speech on HWH, LOL.

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I was told I was excessive and my child would hate me for it later. This is by a woman who is adopting from another country and was asking me if the child she gets (most likely 3-4) would be big enough for a booster. Hmmm...the kid has never been in a car, and is probably under nourished, probably not, but that's what she plans to get.:thumbsdown: At that time, dd had just outgrown the Husky at almost 6.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was told that it is ridiculous to consider a HWH seat, especially the Regent, since "no kid wants to sit like a baby after preschool." When I informed the woman (who spoke those words) that I harness any child who will fit in the Regent or other HWH seats, she said, "that's crazy. You are being negligent of the kid's emotional needs." Really? Hmmm...

Calideedle

I know my brother told me I am silly for making DS sit in a seat for years .... I informed him and he said "Oh, okay!"

Thats it here.

HEVY

So far no one has said anything to me, even the person who gets POed at me for talking about it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"that's crazy. You are being negligent of the kid's emotional needs." Really? Hmmm...

Indeed...hmmm... My 6 yo was discussing seats with the 4 yo down the street... dd was in her Husky with flowers on it, and he was in a combo seat as a booster... they just were talking fashion, not harnesses, "Mine has flowers!" "Mine has waves!" (it was a nondescript blue cover with some wavy look to it). No enduring emotional problems, there...
:whistle:

(no, people have not ever questioned me keeping my kids harnessed a long time... yet... I still have a good 5 years of harnessing to go, I'm sure it's possible it'll come up at some point...)

Heather98012

she said, "that's crazy. You are being negligent of the kid's emotional needs." Really? Hmmm...

Yeah, well all the money saved from not having major medical bills would pay for therapy. Take that!

A few people have mentioned to me "She'll want a big girl seat." I just reply "She'll have a big girl seat...just one with a harness."

mominabigtruck

Don't even get me started on the poor parenting choices associated with people who are concerned about a child's "emotional health"

I read an article last week about rude parents and the author said that respect for a child stops when someone's in danger or it infringes on other people's rights:thumbsup:

scout

Yes, starting in kindergarten. Now DS is finishing 9 and finishing 3rd grade and still rides in a Regent in my car. People do not believe me when I tell them he prefers it. (He has a couple of HBBs available to him for riding in his Dad's car which cannot accommodate the Regent.)

Recently a neighbor's 5-year-old asked him why he still has to sit in a baby seat, and after explaining to her that his mom cares that he's safe, he showed he how comfy it is, and now she's bugging her mom for one. (The mom is not happy about this, but whatever.:rolleyes:)

Yesterday we had a field trip at school. Parents drove groups of kids to the beach. Another mom from the class called the teacher and requested that my son be in her car. Turns out her DS is "still" in a booster, and since she'd seen the Regent in my car, she was pretty sure I'd send along a booster for him. I also brought another booster for the third child that was to ride in her car. One driver failed to show, so she had two kids besides her DS and mine. They actually fought over who got to sit in the booster.

So, yeah, I've been called out, but it doesn't bother me. My car, my rules. My kid, my rules. I am the parent. My mom always says best practice car seat use is "leading by example." Nobody likes to feel like they're doing an insufficient job of protecting their kids. Hopefully, the more ERF and HWH use people see, the more they will think about (and make better and better decisions about) how to keep their kids safer in the car.

Wow, I'm long-winded.

canadianmom2three

Yup, and my son is only 5.....which to me makes it all the more sad. A lot of his friends ride in backless boosters, and I have gotten more than one comment about why he is still in a baby seat, never mind that he is pretty much the biggest of all his friends, I seriously doubt that a couple of them are even the req'd 40lbs. So far I have only managed to convert one person, and unfortunately she says she can't afford to buy a hwh, but she is eagerly awaiting DS to grow out of the Radian so I can loan it to her:eek:.
And even tho the booster law here is 8 or 80, I get EVEN MORE comments about why DD is still in a booster, especially since she meets both the 8 and the 80. For heaven sake, I just let her be out of a high back booster a month ago:whistle:

a_js

My SIL.

"You know, you CAN face him forward now, he's a year old."
"You don't have to make the harness that tight."
"He could be in a booster, he's almost 4."

etc.

bethng

Not so far. But I do get some questions as to why Avery is still rear facing. Not mean like...just wondering. I then go into my long lecture on extended rear facing and extended harnessing. By then they are sorry they asked! lol I am just waiting for someone to criticize my choices in the car for my kids. BRING 'EM ON! They will get an earful and with any luck feel bad that they made poor choices. Nobody can ever make me feel bad, embarrassed, bashful...whatever...about my parenting choices. I am way too secure in my choices. Everyone knows Avery still nurses at age 3 and sleeps in our bed. If they don't like it well then...too bad for them.

henrietta

"that's crazy. You are being negligent of the kid's emotional needs."

Well, I may have replied that he's a lucky kid then, b/c he'll still be able to have "emotional needs" after we have a horrible wreck!

henrietta

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I have gotten a couple of questions from co-workers when they put 2-and-2 together and realize my youngest is 7, therefore that giant carseat in the back of my car must be hers. I've never been "called out," though, they were just curious.

I just say "Why not? She still fits, it's safer, and I want to get my money's worth out of it."

That, of course, leads to them asking how much it cost.

"Yep, I paid $300 for it when she was 4, and she'll use it till it expires when she's 10. That's more use than I'd get out of that $150 seat you've got. :D " (That's with my co-workers, of course - we're always poking at each other. I'd never talk to someone I didn't know well like that!)

Wineaux

As my DS has not yet hit 1-year (later this month btw), I haven't heard anything yet. I'm looking forward to the day they do though...

Buwhahahahaha!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Some of the teachers at kiddo's old school gave our Husky a look as if it were flaming piles of feces & then began obviously snickering under their breath about it @@ I just smiled, but kiddo said something like: I'm safer than your kid because toddlers have no business in boosters :whistle: Admittedly, she was pretty snotty about it, but so were those "adults" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Synchro246

kiddo said something like: I'm safer than your kid because toddlers have no business in boosters

:ROTFLMAO: I think I would have done a spit take even if I wasn't drinking anything. Rock on! I might use that line "toddlers have no business in boosters". That's to the point. I'll even credit her if I ever need to use it :cool:

TerisBoys

They boys' dad AND my SO Brian both call me on the boys' seating arrangements CONSTANTLY. Neither understands why Ryan is in a 'baby seat' - Ryan's rebuttal is "It's NOT a baby seat - it's a race car seat and I like it!" Or why the bigger boys are in boosters - ummm maybe because William is nowhere near 4'9"? And Josh's legs are too long to sit properly in my van? (He's boosterless everywhere else).

I love the jawdrop every other Sunday when I pick them up, Josh grabs the Vivo Ryan's been riding in out of their dad's van, puts it in mine, pops up the headrest and climbs in :) I don't MAKE him. I showed him how he was more comfortable being elevated a bit (my seats are seriously 8" off the floor - it's terrible) and let him make the choice from there.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
:ROTFLMAO: I think I would have done a spit take even if I wasn't drinking anything. Rock on! I might use that line "toddlers have no business in boosters". That's to the point. I'll even credit her if I ever need to use it :cool:

I'm glad you liked it :D She gets it from me -- I've since learned to check my choice of words even when they're under my breath :p

keri1292

Some of the teachers at kiddo's old school gave our Husky a look as if it were flaming piles of feces & then began obviously snickering under their breath about it @@ I just smiled, but kiddo said something like: I'm safer than your kid because toddlers have no business in boosters :whistle: Admittedly, she was pretty snotty about it, but so were those "adults" :rolleyes:

I would be livid if someone was so rude and inconsiderate. They snickered IN FRONT OF HER! :mad: Nice example. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC