Monterey owners please measure something else for me.....

What do you get?

• 6 inches

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 6 1/2 inches

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • 7 inches

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

emandbri

since "22 inches" is so subjective. Please measure the back for me, on the highest setting.

DSC01682.JPG

Please measure what it goes to easily, not forcing it to go higher.

I get slightly less then 6 1/2. It looks closer to 6 in the picture but it is just the way the picture came out.

Last edited:
ADS

mom23boys

I get like 6 and 3/8 inchesmeasuring exactly what you had measured on the back of the seat. Is that what I am supposed to get or should it measure higher? I am not sure what makes them defective. I love this seat as does my son!

Mommy2Five

Mine easily slide up to 7" now, but when I got them they were stuck at 5.5".
The whole last rectangle was stuck inside the neck.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

mom23boys

Mine is not close to 7. Maybe I will have time later to see if it's stuck. If so what should I do? Didn't Russ say not to force it? Don;t want to do the wrong thing.

mom23boys

Went out and got it and I was able to get it up another notch and did measure a tad over 7 inches. However, it was very difficult to release the handle and lower it back down. Is it safe to use in the hard to get top position? My ds doen not need that position yet but he will eventually. What are we supposed to do? Mine goes up but I have to wiggle it back and forth to get to the 7 inch spot and then work extremely hard to get it to release.

mom23boys

Did Russ say what they are going to do about the seats that aren't going up to the highest setting without force? SHould I call this guy Russ myself?

Mommy2Five

Do you think I should still use mine?
They adjust easily now, but maybe it's because I broke something inside there......:confused:
Does anyone have Russ's e-mail handy?

mom23boys

I guess I may need Russ's email also. What do you think they will do? I certainly love this seat but I will need the taller belt guides at some point.

trinityklm

I got 6 3/8 but put my vote in for 6 1/2. I haven't counted the positions on my seat yet, but I'd be curious about the number of positions the people who are measuring at or over 7 inches have. There are supposed to be 12.

I'm guessing Russ' seat would measure at 6 3/8, too, given how he explained the back of his looking (with a bit of the fifth row not visible). He said that's how it's supposed to be. It appears to me that the ones that are going higher or not going that high are probably messed up somehow.

The SKJP number is: 888-336-7909

mom23boys

I got 6 3/8 but put my vote in for 6 1/2. I haven't counted the positions on my seat yet, but I'd be curious about the number of positions the people who are measuring at or over 7 inches have. There are supposed to be 12.

I'm guessing Russ' seat would measure at 6 3/8, too, given how he explained the back of his looking (with a bit of the fifth row not visible). He said that's how it's supposed to be. It appears to me that the ones that are going higher or not going that high are probably messed up somehow.

The SKJP number is: 888-336-7909

If that is the case then the belt guides will not be measuring 22 inches. If I am understanding you correctly, we are only to use to the 6.5 inch neck height? Mine adjusts to about 6 and 3/8 easily so is that the highest setting I can expect from this seat.

emandbri

If that is the case then the belt guides will not be measuring 22 inches. If I am understanding you correctly, we are only to use to the 6.5 inch neck height? Mine adjusts to about 6 and 3/8 easily so is that the highest setting I can expect from this seat.

The instructions say the shoulder needs to be a cm under the belt guide. When I measure to the bottom of the belt guide I get slightly over 20 inches so I would say the seat can be used until a child's torso is around 19 1/2.

trinityklm

Yeah, I would say the 22" belt guides is a bit generous of SKJP. I get about 21" to the bottom of the belt guide (which is how they show the measurement on their website.)

Honestly, I think SKJP needs to update their literature and website to be a little more realistic.

mom23boys

I plan on keeping the Monterey anyway and just passing it down to ds3 when ds2 no longer fits in it. I am sure that by that time ds2 should be able to pass the 5 pt test or I will just buy him a clek olli. The only reason I didn't do that to begin with is DS 2 wanted wings for sleeping.

I know I am going to eventually need another booster once our Turbo expires in DH's car so I was willing to spend the money now so DS2 could catch some ZZZZZ's safely.

I agree the SK needs to make it clear to the owners of these seats the maximum heights that these are to safely be used at. Many people will have no idea bcause they don't frequent this site like we do. They need to send out something that clears all of this up to the Monterey owners. I really wanted this seat to have 22" belt guides as ds3 already had approx a 17 in torso at age 4.8.

Hopefully there will be other options for him down the road but that means buying another seat.

ginny4

this new info MIGHT change my plans for my kids. we have the monterey LOVE IT DS1 uses it. he had outgrown the turbo. my hope was to keep DS1 in the monterey forever. LOL JK but see my van backseat is a short bench so he & his brother NEED HBB. DS#2 is not far behind in growth. i'll be in this position next year depending on DS#1 & how he fits the monterey then will determine if i buy a 2nd monterey for DS2 or we HAVE to buy a newER van for sure. a $140 fix is much cheaper than a few thousand $ for a newer van

Mommy2Five

Well, I did some playing with my seats, and at the 7" neck height, the back is very sturdy...I'm not worried at all about it coming apart... I will talk to someone at SKJP soon, but I personally am not worried about using them...

Stretchy Glue

Mine measures exactly like JoAnn's. Dd is sitting at about a 19 inch torso at 6 years and has about 3 inches of growing room. When I measured the seat, the center of the belt guide was right at 22 inches. There was no forcing mine into submission either.

Mommy2Five

Mine measures exactly like JoAnn's. Dd is sitting at about a 19 inch torso at 6 years and has about 3 inches of growing room. When I measured the seat, the center of the belt guide was right at 22 inches. There was no forcing mine into submission either.

That's reassuring!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC