Age most babies outgrow 30lb infant seats?

monstah

What age do you think most babies (average weight/height) outgrow seats like the Chicco KeyFit 30 and the Graco Safe Seat?
Are they usually outgrown by weight or height first?

Last edited:
ADS

MsFacetious

My daughter would have outgrown the Graco Safe Seat at 2 years old. By height, she was still only like 24lbs.

My other daughter would have been about 2 as well.

I have a friend who's daughter is using it, she is almost a year old with plenty of room to spare.

ffpmcps

My DD is 22 mo, 23 lbs, not sure on height maybe 30-31", but she is in about the 25th percentile, a peanut. I tried her in one out of curiosity about a month ago when we were at BRU. She had very little room to grow if any at all. She was right at 1in above her head to grow.

Andrea

Stresch

My daughter is about 21.5 pounds and 33 inches at 28 months. I think she would still fit in a Safeseat because she is all leg. However, she definately does not still fit in the KeyFit30.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
DD is outgrown hers at 21 months, 24 pounds, and 31.5". She has less than an inch of room to the top of the shell, but I don't think she's quite over the top. According to the WHO breastfed baby charts, she's slightly above average for weight and slightly under average for height. She was within exactly 1" of the shell at 20 months and about a half inch shorter. DD does have her height in her torso though.

So, I'd most definitely say that an "average" kid would outgrow by height first.

My youngest son would of been almost 3 years old when he outgrew it by height. He was around 37 inches tall, 27 pounds. . He had a major torso growth recently though.

Darn, wish I would of had that seat when he was born(not even sure if they made it yet).

Dillipop

My ds was just about to outgrow it at 18 months, 33 inches and 25 pounds, when I broke the seat. He may have lasted longer, depending on how his torso grew the next couple months, but we threw the seat out when I cracked it.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Skewing the curve, DD2 outgrew her SafeSeat 1 by height at 11 months old, just shy of her first birthday, at approx. 21 lbs. and 32 inches tall. All torso, lol. By 18 months old, when she was about 24 lbs. and 34" tall, the top of her head was well over the top of the SS1's shell when I had her sit in it just for fun to see how much more outgrown it was. Well, fun for me, she was pretty ticked at modeling the seat and made her displeasure known, and wasn't eager to try on more seats until just recently. It's all in the child's proportions, torso vs. leg. :)

jmm3

My dd is 15 months and she's 50th% for height and weight. She still has about 1.5-2" above her head, and she weighs around 23 lbs. She'll probably outgrow it by height first I'm guessing.

VoodooChile

I tried my dd in her cousin's SS1 this past Xmas, when she was app. 26 months. She was just over the weight limit by about 1 pound, and her head was even with the top of the shell. She's always been tall (85%ish), and about 60-65% for weight. She may have made it to 2, or close to it, in a SS1 if they'd been around when she was a baby!

emars002

Both my girls were little when I switched them to their MA's - I couldn't carry DD1 after 9 months old and I couldn't carry DD2 after 6 months old - I figured once I couldn't use the carry handle or snap it onto the stroller it really defeated the purpose of the seat for me so i used a RF/FF convertible.

ambervn

My babies are big - nearly off the growth charts big.

My daughter made it to 11 months in her SafeSeat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

monstah

Here's my dd just about outgrowing the Key Fit (22 and 30 have the same height limit: 30 inches) (she was about a year old). And here she is outgrowing the SS1 at about 20 months
The extra two inches in the height limit is a significant amount of time for average-weight kids. :)

Thanks for the pictures! Great :thumbsup:

lilysmomma

My dd out grew both the SS1 and the Keyfit 30 between 15 and 16 months. She was 23lbs or so and almost 32". I just tried her in the Keyfit a few weeks ago and she has less than a 1/2'" of shell above her head.

Mommy2Five

This is N in H's SS1 at 2y 7mos. and 29 lbs. All of my DC would have fit until around 2 1/2 y/o.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My dd was seriously off the charts - she was 31 pounds at her 9 month visit, so she would have outgrown them then by weight.

fyrfightermomma

My oldest DD now 2 years 9 months still fits in the SS1 by height and weight (37" and 24 pounds). She is all leg and still has about an inch and a half of shell above her head. She no longer fits in the Keyfit by height and hasn't for some time.

My youngest (now 14 months) still has plenty of room in the SS1 (31 inches and 24 pounds). Has about 2-3 inches above her head. All legs too. I tried her last month in the Keyfit and it was just about an inch above her head so I would have considered it outgrown by height at about 13 months.

The SS1 is hard to say if its height or weight first since so many older kids fit in it. It seems like they hit height first though

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC