Question rear adjust vs. front adjust

littleangelfire

Hey all - I'm hoping someone can show me pics of WHERE a rear adjust infant seat gets adjusted. LOL I feel really stupid, but my friend uses one for her baby and the harness is always really loose. I went to try and tighten it, but couldn't find the darn thing, so I'm figuring its a rear adjust. There was a skinny little strap coming out of the front, but when I pulled it nothing happened and its thinner than any adjustment strap I've ever seen! I don't think I've ever used a rear adjust infant seat so I don't get where the adjuster is.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't have a picture, but they are a PAIN. It's not a simple solution of turning the seat around and pulling a strap--it's the kind where you have to work half the loop tight and then the other half, if that makes sense. DD1's infant seat was a rear adjust and it was a total PITA.

littleangelfire

I don't have a picture, but they are a PAIN. It's not a simple solution of turning the seat around and pulling a strap--it's the kind where you have to work half the loop tight and then the other half, if that makes sense. DD1's infant seat was a rear adjust and it was a total PITA.

I'd heard how everyone hates them here, and makes since how just by sheer value of being on the wrong side of the seat its harder - but yeah, I'm a little more confused about how the darn thing works, lol. I don't get it. So there's no 'tail' strap to pull? I'd check out Walmart, but I'll be seeing her tomorrow morning again, though it likely won't be a good time to bring up the conversation I'd like to have...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
There is a "tail" but it's not a simple pulling motion--you have to feed the slack through the little metal plate, making a loop, and then pull the tail to take that slack out, if that makes sense. That's how ours was anyway.

littleangelfire

Ahh. Does sound difficult and may partially explain why they never tighten/loosen to get her in and out. And why I can't surruptitiously tighten it. :)

jdchic3

Do you at least know what brand it was? If it had a strap coming out the front I can't imagine that its a rear adjust, though I'm sure there is someone here who knows!

littleangelfire

Do you at least know what brand it was? If it had a strap coming out the front I can't imagine that its a rear adjust, though I'm sure there is someone here who knows!

The strap was just so skinny, and when I pulled it did nothing to tighten her harness. Maybe you have to pull down? I always pull up on ours, usually anyways. The chest clip looked like a Graco - would've been bought in 2005.

Qarin

3pt or 5pt? what did it look like in back? is it possible they'd connected the shoulder straps as they came through the shell to... something else?

jdchic3

The strap was just so skinny, and when I pulled it did nothing to tighten her harness. Maybe you have to pull down? I always pull up on ours, usually anyways. The chest clip looked like a Graco - would've been bought in 2005.

The strap on a Graco front adjust is pretty skinny... How big is the baby?

mish

It sounds to me like the strap on the front is an adjustment strap. If they have done something wrong when putting it together, it could be caught on something. Graco infant seats have this cover thing on the back that the harness and splitter plate go under. I see them over the cover a lot. If it is like that, the splitter plate gets caught and won't adjust. It seems like that might be the problem. I think I saw a picture of this issue on this board once, but I have no idea where.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Ss1Rearview

This probably isn't TOO helpful, but it's the back of a front adjust Graco (ss1 and sr are the same)... There really wouldn't be any kind of strap, skinny or otherwise, on the front of a rear-adjust, they just have little metal bar things on the back above the top slots and the straps dangle down on the back.

mytwobugs

Is it possible that it is a front adjuster but that the straps are hooked onto the splitter plate on the wrong loops for the size of the baby? If they are using the loops at the end of straps instead of the ones part way up and the baby is small enough then you would not be able to pull it enough to tighten the straps because the splitter plate would hit the tightening mechanism.
I hope that makes sense or if not maybe someone else understands and can explain it better.

mish

Is it possible that it is a front adjuster but that the straps are hooked onto the splitter plate on the wrong loops for the size of the baby? If they are using the loops at the end of straps instead of the ones part way up and the baby is small enough then you would not be able to pull it enough to tighten the straps because the splitter plate would hit the tightening mechanism.
I hope that makes sense or if not maybe someone else understands and can explain it better.

That is definitely possible. On a front adjust snugride, there are two sets of loops. For smaller babies you have to use the top set. If you use the bottom ones it won't be tight enough. It sounds like you need to turn the seat over and check it out. You can look up instruction manuals on http://www.gracobaby.com.

abacus2

I own a rear adjust Snugride; although with the strap in front, your friend probably has a front-adjust Snugride.

The Rear-adjusting straps:
HPIM0338.jpg

Rear-adjusts can be annoying, but they do not have to be manually inched through the metal clamps in the back.
How the straps route through the metal clamps:
HPIM0339.jpg

Instructions for how to use a rear-adjust Snugride:

To tighten the straps, pull the excess strap in the back while lifting it up and down like so:
HPIM0340.jpg

To loosen the straps, hold the metal clamp approximately parallel to the ground as shown below and pull the front of the harness at the shoulders to loosen.
HPIM0344.jpg

littleangelfire

3pt or 5pt? what did it look like in back? is it possible they'd connected the shoulder straps as they came through the shell to... something else?

It's a 5 point, thank goodness. I think I'd have already had a panic attack if it was a 3 point and that loose!

The strap on a Graco front adjust is pretty skinny... How big is the baby?

It is pretty skinny - while at Pump It Up today, I saw a Graco carrier and I think it must be front adjust b/c it had a really skinny strap, too. Just not what I'd seen before, I guess. My son's was a Safety1st. I think she said baby is 17lbs or so, so definitely shouldn't need anything for smaller babies.

It sounds to me like the strap on the front is an adjustment strap. If they have done something wrong when putting it together, it could be caught on something. Graco infant seats have this cover thing on the back that the harness and splitter plate go under. I see them over the cover a lot. If it is like that, the splitter plate gets caught and won't adjust. It seems like that might be the problem. I think I saw a picture of this issue on this board once, but I have no idea where.

Whoa - could they make the seat any harder to use? LOL How many parents are actually going to figure that part out? I wonder which loops it comes threaded on? When she has the seat sitting out I'll have to check it out.

I own a rear adjust Snugride; although with the strap in front, your friend probably has a front-adjust Snugride.

THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was hoping to see - now I get it and see why its more difficult, I mean not completely undoable, but more difficult then just pulling the strap on a front adjust.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC