1980ish carseat in brand new Lincoln navigator! UGHH!!!

This bugs me to no end. People with super nice cars/suvs/vans with old carsaets in them.
I saw today at the store someone driving a brand new lincoln naviagator(had the tag on it still from the dealer) with an expired 1980ish carseat with brown vinyl and metal! UGHH!!! WTF! You can spend ALOT of money on a car, but not spend any money on a carseat??? WTF!

then, when we went to Quiznos(sub place) this weekend I saw a beater car-puffing black smoke and all-with 2 britax marathon's FF with a cowmoo cover and a girly foo foo cover! Kids properly buckled and all! WOW! Kids looked about 3 and 4 too! (that is rare to see)

Then, my stupid neighbor down the street brags about her britax seats, but her child was FF WAY WAY WAY to early(illegally early) and her son is now just turning 2 and straps are off him in their van and belly clip!

ADS
U

Unregistered1

OK if you ever saw a seat that old in my car, it would be lying horizontally across the back seat or on the floor because I had just rescued it off a curb on garbage day or from a garage sale :D:p

Actually once I get my Nautilus/Nautili you'll be seeing the opposite... HWH seat in a 20 year old car, LOL.

Neatfreak

I wonder why parents don't think to themselves, "Hmm. We've had this seat awhile. I wonder if there have been any new safety features added since we bought it many eons ago?" but not a lot of information about car seat expiry dates seems to be dispersed to the population at large. Maybe Grey's Anatomy ought to work that into a show ...

I guess I think that knowledge plays a part in this, not just money.

Mama!

HAHA were your ears burning? :whistle:

And could you clear it up once and for all, are you a he or a she? :eek: I nearly wrote "he" then realized I didn't know at all. :eek::eek:

*hiding under my desk chair now*

Mama!

Maybe you should start a poll?

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO: I want you to know that I am DYING laughing here. You're just gonna screw with us now, huh?

I'll see if I can start a poll. Hopefully you won't be offended by the end result :ROTFLMAO:

classicseats

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO: I want you to know that I am DYING laughing here. You're just gonna screw with us now, huh?

I'll see if I can start a poll. Hopefully you won't be offended by the end result :ROTFLMAO:

I think some people know the truth. If you could do it without their influence, it would be very entertaining!

littleangelfire

This bugs me to no end. People with super nice cars/suvs/vans with old carsaets in them.
I saw today at the store someone driving a brand new lincoln naviagator(had the tag on it still from the dealer) with an expired 1980ish carseat with brown vinyl and metal! UGHH!!! WTF! You can spend ALOT of money on a car, but not spend any money on a carseat??? WTF!

then, when we went to Quiznos(sub place) this weekend I saw a beater car-puffing black smoke and all-with 2 britax marathon's FF with a cowmoo cover and a girly foo foo cover! Kids properly buckled and all! WOW! Kids looked about 3 and 4 too! (that is rare to see)

Then, my stupid neighbor down the street brags about her britax seats, but her child was FF WAY WAY WAY to early(illegally early) and her son is now just turning 2 and straps are off him in their van and belly clip!

I emailed someone from craigslist once when they had a very expire seat for sale, and she got hopping mad about it - saying it had worked just find for them b/c they drive a $30,000 brand new vehicle (um - like that's supposed to mean its nice? There's LOTS more expensive cars out there!) with all the added safety features and she was a good driver. Yes, driving a 'safe' car is part of the package, and the first line of defense in an accident, but expensive/new doesn't necessarily make it safe. There are some new cars out there I'd never own b/c the crash tests are horrid.

mytwobugs

Actually once I get my Nautilus/Nautili you'll be seeing the opposite... HWH seat in a 20 year old car, LOL.
That's me, I have a nautilus and a FPSVD (RF) in my 1990 Legacy. I always wonder what people think. (Other than that my large 19 mo old is too big to be RF).

I vote that Classicseats is a "he" due to the reluctance to play with dolls for models! lol

mish

I think a lot of misuse is just about education. People have just never been taught proper car seat safety. Also, most people don't read their manual. However, I just don't understand using really old seats. If you have a seat with brown vinyl on it, and you are walking past the car seats at Wal-Mart, wouldn't you think, "Holy Crap! Car seats have come a long way. Maybe I should look into this?" You have to know that you could get a much better seat. And if you are driving a Lincoln Navigator, status is probably important to you, so wouldn't you want a nice seat to show off in your nice vehicle? Ok, I have to stop thinking about this because I am getting really angry!:mad::mad:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's difficult not to pass judgment.... But, as CPSTs, we mustn't make personal judgments about parents -- unless there's evidence of abuse :twocents: However, in my volunteer work, I've helped some people who I've mingled with in the community & I can say that it's likely there are any number of other whacked out things happening in certain families, the expired carseat, unfortunately, being one of the lesser evils.

mish

It's difficult not to pass judgment.... But, as CPSTs, we mustn't make personal judgments about parents -- unless there's evidence of abuse :twocents: However, in my volunteer work, I've helped some people who I've mingled with in the community & I can say that it's likely there are any number of other whacked out things happening in certain families, the expired carseat, unfortunately, being one of the lesser evils.

Thanks for the reminder! I agree and I try not to judge, especially because I made so many mistakes before I was a tech. I'm lucky that I was never in an accident. I also agree that in some situations, an expired car seat is the least of the problems a child is having.

I honestly think that in most parents minds their kids are fine because they are in a seat. This is what I thought. I bought a seat, put it in the car, and put my kids in it every time. Yes, I had a manual, and I think I even read it, but I thought that since they were in a seat, they were safe. I truly think that is how most parents feel. I always try to remember the mistakes I made when I see someone else doing the same thing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC