Question What year did LATCH become standard in most/all vehicles?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

It became mandatory September 2002. Many vehicle manufacturer's started phasing it in as early as the 2001 MY, but some models didn't get it until the 2003 MY.

Do you need information about a particular vehicle?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ford actually started putting LATCH in the Windstar in 1999, so you can't really assume that a vehicle doesn't have LATCH simply because it's older than 2002, or even 2001..

-Nicole.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you know if the 2001 GMC Jimmy has a LATCH system??

No, it doesn't have the lower anchors, it does have the top tether anchors in the floor of the cargo area, though. (Which very safe. Use the seatbelt to install the seat as normal, then hook up the top tether for a forward facing harnessed seat).
:)

vonfirmath

Note that these dates refer to date of manufacture, NOT the date on the car. a 2003 car could easily have been manufactured before September 2002.

I heard that Pontiac started using LATCH in Grand Ams in "2001" so bought a 2001 model year car. And emphasized to the person buying on my behalf what I wanted. Unfortunately, it was manufactured in 2000... So we still don't have LATCH... (And the person on the other end looked at the tether anchors and thought THAT was LATCH!)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Note on the Jimmy--I'm not 100% sure on the 2001, but the older model years used the OUTER cargo hooks. With GMC products, you always need to look at the manual because some of them require use of the INNER cargo hooks as tether anchors. This is one of those situations where, as carseat techs, we're running for the vehicle manual quite often. :)

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC