Help! Selling almost expired carseats!

jsta1005

A friend of mine has 2 Graco CarGos that expire sometime in 2009 (I couldn't get a close enough look to find out exactly when) that she is trying to sell. She says that she would rather have someone's kids in expired seats than no seats at all. I tried to advise her against selling the seats but she definately didn't listen. What more can I tell her? Should I offer to buy them from her?

and they have been sitting in the front yard for about 3 months and are nasty anyways. and the covers don't stay on because the elastic is too stretched out.

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I'd ask her for them and tell her that a tech wants them for training. If she's not flexible, and not asking too much, just buy them and destroy them.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If they're nasty, people probably won't want them. And she should let people know when the expire -- but honestly, I don't see anything all that wrong with selling seats with a year's use left in them. Cargos have nice high strap slots and a year could get a child to 40 pounds and then a good booster, or could allow a family to save up for a higher-weight harness seat.

happyvegan

I was browsing on Craigslist and there are *multiple* people selling 7-9 year old Britax seats for $125-150!! :eek: I was just floored that they were selling them at all! I hope that anyone would be informed enough to ask them the DOM before purchasing, and if not, then maybe the high price for a used seat will turn them off.

aisraeltax

i woudl venture to say that MOST ppl do not know about expiration of car seats.

until about 2 years ago, i didnt. and i thought i was a pretty informed person..but i wasnt. i was a complete IDIOT when it came to most of what i know now about car seats. so...i think informing these ppl that car seats expired and are unsafe is a great community service benefit.

i WISH there was more information given to parents but there isnt. :( at least not in the places i frequented w/ my older kids.

happyvegan

I very nicely informed a Craigslist seller of two old husky/super elite carseats (one expired, one a few months from expired, $150 each) that there was a 6 year expiration date on carseats and that the ones she was selling would be considered unsafe.

She replied:
"True..But I'd put my child in a 6 year old Britax in excellent shape vs some American made junk anyday. :) Seatbelts in cars don't expire. Just my .02! :)"

:eek:

:jaw:

I linked her to the 10yo Britax crash test and to an article discussing the expiration of seats based on the breakdown of plastic in extreme temperatures. I was very kind and friendly-like, but I didn't know what else to do.

scatterbunny

LOL--nevermind that US Britax seats are made in the US (Britax USA is in North Carolina). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with the person who said seats with a year left on them aren't terrible to sell; they might just get that tall, skinny child who has outgrown her convertible seat at 2-3 years old to a full 40 pounds in a harness, since the CarGo has such tall top slots. As long as the seller is honest about the date of manufacture and about the recommended lifespan of Graco seats, I see no problem with selling them (I have sold, and will again in the near future, seats that have about a year of life left, with full disclosure).

happyvegan

In the case of the lady I was convo'ing with, she only told the DOM after I specifically asked her via email. A year to go is one thing, like you said, it could be a great gap-filler. But a few months until expiration is another thing (one was actually expired by 7 months). I just feel for all the people who think they're getting a good deal on a Britax, when the seats are actually expired and unsafe. :(

What got me, besides the "american piece of junk" thing, is that she *knows* they're expired, and unsafe. She just doesn't care. :mad:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Umm... IIRC, the Britax convertibles are the ONLY American made convertibles at all. Weirdo.

aisraeltax

thats sad she doesnt care. i think many ppl would though, given he information and i think its important for you guys to continue sending emails. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC