Booster or Combination seat?

Longhorn Lady

Help me out here girls. I've been someone who has only used Britax convertibles, so I need some suggestions.

I have a MA, which I love and is going no where ;)

Here's the dilemma: I am going to start taking a 7 year old and 8 year old to dance classes two evenings a week. (Different days, so I'll only need one booster).

My question is this: I'm a nanny so I often have a good combination of kids with me, some of which still need to be harnessed. Usually they are all at different times so having my MA is usually enough :) But there are going to possibly be times in the near future where I will need two harnessed seats at a time.

So...do I get a combination seat and just switch from harness to booster mode when need be. Or do I get a booster only seat?

And if so, which do I get? If you guys suggest booster only, I'll go with a PW or a TB. If you guys suggest combination, which one? I'm really pulled towards the Apex, simply because of the high weight limit. But how is it as a booster?

Help!

ADS

shashoo

Here is what I did

I am also a nanny and have a lot of differnet sized kids. I decided to get a Husky, WZ, and then a Regal Ride/Touriva as a spare. I primarily use the WZ rf (easy to adjust for differnet sized children) and then change the harness on the Husky if I have a taller child with me. Fortunately they all use the same harness slot right now =).

Longhorn Lady

Hmm, yeah I thought about the Husky, but its a bit out of my price range right now :confused:

I just figured that I'd knock out two birds with one stone by getting a combo seat, especially since it will only be used about twice a week. I'm not a fan of Cosco seats, so that's why I'm hesitant about the Apex, but the fact that its so inexpensive for a higher weight limit AND a booster is appealing to me. Hmm..

U

Unregistered

I have heard that the slots on the apex arent something to compare to a seat that goes to 65lbs. I also heard it doesnt make a good booster.

The bolero makes a good booster and has slots the same as the MA.

Longhorn Lady

I checked the database and it said the slots were 17.5 inches. Are they not? :confused:

And if its not a decent booster, even for only twice a week, than I won't get it.

I was looking at the Bolero also, but its $100, and the Apex is $110 or so, so I was thinking that even if the Apex allowed me to harness a kid to 45-50 pounds or so, I'd be happy to spend the extra money. But its not a good booster, uh? Ack, back to square one.

U

Unregistered

Did you check walmart? They are 89$ there.

That is only what I have heard said on the boards. I can try to find the posts that talk about it.

U

Unregistered

Ohh and the csnumbers aren't all correct. The mom is trying to hardest to get the exact numbers on them, but Ive learned it is very tricky getting a set number for every seat, even of the same model.

this post talks about it some.
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=4739&highlight=apex

and these are some photos of a 30" 1yo on the top slots of the apex http://photobucket.com/albums/e201/carseatgeek/NEW PICS Apex/
Im pretty sure that mom knew to look under the headrest, i think she is a poster here so she may stop by this thread.

IMO the cherished cargo has the tallest slots of all 40lbs combo seats(at walmart, kmart, and sears that is). They measure 17" firm and since it sits up straight and has a more bucketed seat they will last a little longer(like how my DS is almost even with the 15.5" slots on the ohh so straight sitting husky when his torso is between 15.5-16" and in his semi reclined MA he only had 3/4" from the top slots that I measure at 17", and in the cargo he has a whole inch more than the marathon.).

U

Unregistered

The numbers give an idea of how the seat is, but each seat will fit each kid different as I have learned.

Unregistered said:
Ohh and the csnumbers aren't all correct. The mom is trying to hardest to get the exact numbers on them, but Ive learned it is very tricky getting a set number for every seat, even of the same model.
And I just wanted to add that Toby is AWESOME! and we are definitely greatful for her website!!!

skaterbabs

The harness slots on the Apex are very low - Joyjoy (while taller than the avg 28 month old) would not make it much past 40 lbs in the internal harness, and certainly would not make it to 65, she was in the 3rd set of 4 sets of harness slots when I tried her in it a month or so ago.

Longhorn Lady

In that review just linked, the top slots are listed as 17.25'' but it sounds like they might not be that tall?

In any case, I'll head to BRU in the morning to check things out! Thanks guys.

skaterbabs

Here is Joyjoy in the Apex in January:

apex.jpg

And here she is in the Marathon (january) & Husky (august) (respectively):

rfma0106.jpg

joyhusky.jpg

my3girls

Well here's my big 3 year old (she looks more like a 4 or 5 year old) in it.
inseat.jpg
There are another set of slots about 2 inches above the ones she is using. I wouldn't say it's as great of a seat as the Regent, but I think it's a decent choice for harnessing past 40#! And with the adjustable headrest and open seatbelt guide, decent as a booster too.

skaterbabs

Yeah, I think Joyjoy would probably make it to her 4th bday (when my kiddos tend to be 45+ lbs), but with the MA she'll make it to closer to 50 lbs.

Your daughter is a cutie - love the curls!

edited cause I can't type this morning. :p

my3girls

This thread might help you out, I knew I posted that pic before, and I had measured the top slots for someone. I got 17". This thread also has a photoalbum of many different kids in the seat posted by uccomama
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=4256&highlight=apex Thanks for the compliment, my kids get those curls from their daddy, and this one also got very wide shoulders from him too (think stuck in the birth canal!) so when she turned 3 and outgrew the 40# limit of her CarGo, I tried the MA first, but I would have had to take out the EPS through the shoulder area so she could fit comfortably and it didnt' seem worth it. The closest Husky was 2 hours away, so the Apex was a quick fix for us

scatterbunny

Unregistered said:
and these are some photos of a 30" 1yo on the top slots of the apex http://photobucket.com/albums/e201/carseatgeek/NEW PICS Apex/
Im pretty sure that mom knew to look under the headrest, i think she is a poster here so she may stop by this thread.

Actually, looking at the pictures, that baby is not using the top slots. The top slots are under the headrest, the headrest must be raised a notch to see them.

In this picture you can see he has a ton of room to the slots he's using, and there is another set above that (that we can't see because the headrest is not raised): http://photobucket.com/albums/e201/carseatgeek/NEW PICS Apex/?action=view&current=DSCF5070.jpg

Unregistered said:
IMO the cherished cargo has the tallest slots of all 40lbs combo seats(at walmart, kmart, and sears that is). They measure 17" firm and since it sits up straight and has a more bucketed seat they will last a little longer(like how my DS is almost even with the 15.5" slots on the ohh so straight sitting husky when his torso is between 15.5-16" and in his semi reclined MA he only had 3/4" from the top slots that I measure at 17", and in the cargo he has a whole inch more than the marathon.).

I have also noticed that more upright seats tend to allow more height growing room over more reclined seats with the same or similar top slot height measurements.

U

Unregistered

Yes I realized the baby wasnt on the top slots after finding the other photos, lol!

my3girls

And something I forgot to mention before, if your dc get to the top slots, then you could take out the pad they sit on and that might give you a tiny bit more room! Every half inch helps!

Dillipop

I would get a dedicated booster for the 7 and 8 year old to share. You do not want to be taking off the straps everytime they need to use the seat and putting them back on when you need to use the harness. Depending on their height and the headrests you have, you could probably get a backless booster for $15 that could easily be stowed between rides. Do you have a van or car? Do the middle seats have shoulder belts? I would use the backless booster in a center seating position if possible. If not, you could get a high back turbo booster for them to use. I just think it might be more convenient for you to have a dedicated booster and get another harnessed seat as a spare.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC