Vent * passenger van and 8 people

Mommypooh

Okay here is the deal. I have a friend who recently married and had a new baby. They have an 8 passenger van. They have 6 kids between them. They went and had their car seats checked at the fire department and the FD gave them new boosters for their older children. here is my problem the middle seats only have lap belts. The baby is in a rear facing evenflo seat. They have him out board taking up one of the shoulder belts and then moved their oldest out of the booster she is 8 I believe and she sits in the middle of the back row in the lap belt. Then they have a 6 year old girl, 5 year old boy and a 5 year old girl, and then a 4 year old girl. all of them are in cosco HB boosters. One of them in always in the middle with no shoulder belt. My problem is the FD told them this is safe and there is no worries and they won't listen to me.

I think the RF infant needs to be in the center since there is a lap only belt and they need to harness the 4 year old and put her center as well. This just bothers me endlessly. They weren't given any manuals with the seats so they can't and won't read them and they don't think they need to order new ones.

They have the mind set that if it wasn't safe to have lap belts used then there wouldn't be any in vehicles. I just don't get it. THey have 6 beautiful children and don't keep them safe in the vehicle.

I just needed to get it all out. Thanks for listening. I keep trying to get them to see another tech but no such luck.

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
They have the mind set that if it wasn't safe to have lap belts used then there wouldn't be any in vehicles. I just don't get it.

This is exactly what my best friend told me yesterday when i we were talking about my new van and that she is planning on getting a new van in the next year or so and is looking at town and countrys i said that the main reason i wouldn't get it was the lap belt in the middle back row... she responded that she lived with lap only belts...

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
she responded that she lived with lap only belts...

So did I.

I also lived through a case of measles so bad that the dr told my mom to take me home to die in peace.

I lived through getting hit by a car riding my bike to school in the 5th grade.

I lived with child predator cousins and a 2nd grade teacher who practiced caning as a form of discipline.

My surviving a situation doesn't mean I intend to let my kids "live with it".

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'd want the tech number for the Fire Department tech. Techs shouldn't recommend an IO in a L/S position when it means another passenger is using lap belt only.

Regarding the "manual," is there a manual that says it's not safe to use a Lap Belt? (no-no on lap belt with a booster) I think you'll need other info to "fight" that battle. I understand the frustration but there's only so much you can do if people aren't interested or concerned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC