Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Chrysler equipped with Swivel N Go seats

I have twin boys under 1 year that are currently in a rear facing convertible seat and I have recently purchased the Chrysler Town & Country with the Swivel N Go seats that themselves can be rear-facing.
    My question (or really my 11 year old's question that I couldn't answer) is if the 2nd row seats are in the rear facing position, do the child seats installed in them still need to face the seatback which would put the babies facing the front of the vehicle?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Chrysler equipped with Swivel N Go seats

When carseats are installed on the swivel 'n go seats the seat must be locked in the position facing the front of the vehicle according to the vehicle owners manual.

Also, no carseat manufacturer allows the installation of a child restraint on a rear facing or side facing seat, so in order to follow the carseat manufacturers instructions the seat must be locked in the forward position as well.

From what I've heard the Caravan owner's manual has very detailed information regarding the swivel 'n go seats and child restraints. Also be sure to read the entire child restraint section for other important information regarding use of child restraints in your van.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    When carseats are installed on the swivel 'n go seats the seat must be locked in the position facing the front

Also, no carseat manufacturer allows the installation of a child restraint on a rear facing or side facing seat
    Right. The 1st rule is always to read, re-read & follow both the carseat + vehicle manuals
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

CPS Technician

I saw the new van at a trade show and made a point to look at their CPS info. Their manual clearly states CR must be installed in FF seats and the seats are not to be rotated when used with CRs.

What I didn't think to check out is how the top tether attached and if could possibly help serve as a "reminder" not to swivel the seat.

Unregistered1

Out of curiousity, is it safer for older kids and adults just in seat belts to ride RF in the swivel seats? Or is it possibly more dangerous? Seems to me like it should be safer since we always say that RF is safer for everyone but then we're not in harnesses, so maybe not.

Thank you for the information ... I have only had the vehicle for less than 48 hours and had not had the time yet (with 9 month twins and an eleven year old) to read through the whole manual yet. The twins have been riding with the swivel seats in the forward position and their child seats rear-facing. As I said in my original post, it was a question posed to me by my eleven year old and I could not quickly and easily find the answer.