Chrysler equipped with Swivel N Go seats

ncmomof3boys

I have twin boys under 1 year that are currently in a rear facing convertible seat and I have recently purchased the Chrysler Town & Country with the Swivel N Go seats that themselves can be rear-facing.
My question (or really my 11 year old's question that I couldn't answer) is if the 2nd row seats are in the rear facing position, do the child seats installed in them still need to face the seatback which would put the babies facing the front of the vehicle?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
When carseats are installed on the swivel 'n go seats the seat must be locked in the position facing the front of the vehicle according to the vehicle owners manual.

Also, no carseat manufacturer allows the installation of a child restraint on a rear facing or side facing seat, so in order to follow the carseat manufacturers instructions the seat must be locked in the forward position as well.

From what I've heard the Caravan owner's manual has very detailed information regarding the swivel 'n go seats and child restraints. Also be sure to read the entire child restraint section for other important information regarding use of child restraints in your van. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
When carseats are installed on the swivel 'n go seats the seat must be locked in the position facing the front

Also, no carseat manufacturer allows the installation of a child restraint on a rear facing or side facing seat

Right. The 1st rule is always to read, re-read & follow both the carseat + vehicle manuals :)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I saw the new van at a trade show and made a point to look at their CPS info. Their manual clearly states CR must be installed in FF seats and the seats are not to be rotated when used with CRs.

What I didn't think to check out is how the top tether attached and if could possibly help serve as a "reminder" not to swivel the seat.

U

Unregistered1

Out of curiousity, is it safer for older kids and adults just in seat belts to ride RF in the swivel seats? Or is it possibly more dangerous? Seems to me like it should be safer since we always say that RF is safer for everyone but then we're not in harnesses, so maybe not.

ncmomof3boys

Thank you for the information ... I have only had the vehicle for less than 48 hours and had not had the time yet (with 9 month twins and an eleven year old) to read through the whole manual yet. The twins have been riding with the swivel seats in the forward position and their child seats rear-facing. As I said in my original post, it was a question posed to me by my eleven year old and I could not quickly and easily find the answer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC