Arrgh! My 3.5 year old wants to rearface again, but can't!

Qarin

I turned her forward-facing when she was a bit over 2.5, because at that point I wanted to encourage her communication skills, and she was so very clear about it: "I want to face that way." Her older sister (three years older) was dismayed- she would have LOVED to be rear-facing, but was too big by then. I made the decision that at 31 months, DD2 was OK to FF.

Ever since then DD1, and to some extent I, have been on a campaign to talk her into RF again, and yesterday she succeeded! This morning, DD2 was still saying she wanted to RF. She sat in her Scenera: head is at the top of the shell. Too tall to RF. We weighed her. 33.5lbs. Too heavy to RF in her Wizard. :( We have nothing she can RF in, and I can't no way no how justify spending anything for 1.5lbs of RF (we're really set with car seats at this point)- the cheapest I can think of would be $100 for an Uptown. So, it's just not going to happen.

My poor kids. DD1 asked if there were ANY seat in the world she could RF in- she's 43" tall, 41lbs- I told her, well, I think they have them in Sweden. She asked if we could go there and get one and come back. And now DD2 is on the RF wagon and can't do it either.

ADS

keri1292

While that's fabulous that they want to RF, why do they want to? Maybe you can find ways to make FFing better...a footrest, a tiny pillow to help with naps, etc.

Qarin

They want to see "back there", and DD1, at least, wants to be safer- she can tell that in sudden stops, her head would stay supported instead of flying forward. They're both fine with naps (DD1 is in a Nautilus and is comfortable enough the few times she falls asleep in the car with its headwings, and DD2 is in a Wizard most of the time, which has great headwings for sleeping); I do think they could both use footrests.

keri1292

My dd has anxiety issues and I have to be very careful that I don't scare her. RFing is safer. FACT. Is my dd unsafe? Not at all. We say that RFing is the safest way for babies and toddlers to ride. PERIOD. I don't add the "safer for EVERYONE" part because it's not possible right now. The seats don't exist here.

Talk about the next phase of CPS..."Wow, your seats have harnesses just like racecars and astronauts!"

You don't want them to worry over something that can't be changed. :twocents:

Qarin

Yeah. I think cute more than concerning. DD1 isn't anxious, just wistful. She knows her seat is quite safe (and she loves it), and she is quite safe in it. She's also willing to use a booster seat when necessary, but prefers not to most of the time (when she's in a stiff, straight skirt she does vastly prefer the booster so there is no crotch strap to contend with).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper said the other day that she wishes she could RF again. But she's 35.5 pounds and 42" tall with a 15.75" torso. There aren't many seats she'd fit in height wise (I think none of them) or weight wise unless I starved her for a week. But she sat in the Fixway last week and apparently has been giving it some thought. She asked if we could buy one. LOL

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC