Pics of small 10yo & 5yo in GN & Frontier.

zactayaus

Wanted to share some pics of my kids in the GN and Frontier in harness mode. The seats are not installed. Also wanted to add that the GN's harness slots in the seat line up perfect with the slots in the cover whereas the Frontier's harness slots in the seat are actually higher than the slots in the cover. My kids are small. I don't know what percentages but here are their stats:

DD: 10yo, 51lbs, 52", 17 3/4 inch torso.

DS: 5yo, 36lbs, 41", 15 inch torso.

100_1788.jpg

100_1769.jpg

100_1789.jpg

100_1777.jpg

DS on 2nd to top slots

100_1771.jpg

DS on top slots

100_1778.jpg

DS on 4th click from top (if that makes sense)

100_1766.jpg

DS on top click

100_1764.jpg

ADS

scatterbunny

Great pics! And WOW, your 10yo is only half an inch taller than my not-quite 7yo, and nine pounds lighter! Your 10yo also has a shorter torso than my dd (mine is almost even with the Nautilus top slots). :p

zactayaus

Ok, I did a big personal comparision of the two seats and the whole post is missing so I'm re-doing it now and trying to remember everything I typed yesterday.

Please remember that these are my own opinions and observations and you are more than welcome to make your own.

GN vs. Frontier:

GN has a contored back whereas the Frontier has a flat back.

Frontier has cushier seated area.

Both seats have similar fabrics in the seated area.

GN will harness height wise slightly longer than the Frontier (my 5yo will never reach the 65lb and 80lb limits of either seat before he outgrows either harness).

Frontier has more harness height adjustments (I believe 8) as apossed to the GN's 4.

Frontiers' ability to adjust the harness height without unthreading the straps is great (you still have to uninstall the seat to adjust it though).

Frontier has more crotch strap positions (I don't think my 5yo will ever use the outermost position, my 10yo didn't even need it).

GN's headrest seems sturdier than the Frontiers but the Frontiers headrest is a little better for sleeping. It does not cause the head to flop forward as much as the GN.

GN has sturdier cupholder and armrests than the Frontier.

Frontier's alligator style latch clips are awsome!

The harness adjuster on the GN is butter smooth but the Frontiers is right up there with it.

GN's buckle tongs for the crotch strap pretty much stay right where you last had them when you unbuckled your child. The Frontiers buckle tongs slide down the straps so you have to go digging for them under your childs bottom when it's time to rebuckle.

I personaly like the GN's belly pad better than the Frontiers. It's not just a big circle. The GN's pad is a circle and then it wraps around the whole crotch srap creating a stiffer yet comfy strap that helps keep the strap from going under little ones bottoms when they are climbing into the seat (there is no way a child could sit on the belly pad when they are buckled into the GN).

As for the chest clips I have mixed feelings. The GN's chest clip seems easier to snap together (but I think that is because I am still getting used to the hugs on the Frontier). The Frontiers chest clip seems easier to unsnap.

I will be keeping both seats but if I had to choose just one to keep it would be the GN at this point. I really like the way the GN fits my skinny 5yo. It wraps around his torso and kind of cradles him (providing better side impact protection in my eyes). The GN seems just a little easier to get a child buckled and unbuckled, it seems a little sturdier, it installs easier in a wider variety of vehicles, and it's almost half the price.

Again please remember that these a my own opinions and observations.

Last edited:

happyvegan

What about leg support? This is what keeps me from taking the plunge and deciding on the GN...it looks like it's a shallower seat, meaning less leg support. The Frontier (I've heard) has a nice deep seat and plenty of leg support. I want to be able to use this until my son gets too tall for the seat and ready for a booster, but will it be uncomfortable for his legs as they get longer?

Thanks!

zactayaus

What about leg support? This is what keeps me from taking the plunge and deciding on the GN...it looks like it's a shallower seat, meaning less leg support. The Frontier (I've heard) has a nice deep seat and plenty of leg support. I want to be able to use this until my son gets too tall for the seat and ready for a booster, but will it be uncomfortable for his legs as they get longer?

Thanks!

Ok, let me see if I can explain this. Leg support on both of the seats isn't bad. The difference between the two is this: The GN's seat depth is about 12 1/2- 13in but it drops of at a sharp angle. The Frontiers seat depth is about 12in but then it gently slops another 3in or so. I think longer legged kids would be more comfy in the Frontier. My 5yo has relatively short legs (he just started wearing a 4t in pants) so leg support isn't a big issue for him, however my 10yo is all legs so it is a big deal for her.

zactayaus

Here are some side by side pics. I threw in the Cargo just for good measure.

Lowest harness position

100_1760.jpg

Highest harness position

100_1761.jpg

Seats installed side by side in a '00 Suburban

100_1743.jpg

zactayaus

Ok I'm bumping this because last night after I posted the new pics the thread disapeared. I thought others might benifit from my comparisions. I know when I was thinking of buying the Frontier I would have loved to see something like this.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, more great info! Thanks. If you're feeling up for more fun, you could put the Frontier into booster mode and compare it to the Parkway (but I understand if actually taking a screwdriver to it doesn't seem like 'fun', so no worries if you don't want to do it..I'm getting mine soon enough and can compare it to my PW :) )

zactayaus

Wow, more great info! Thanks. If you're feeling up for more fun, you could put the Frontier into booster mode and compare it to the Parkway (but I understand if actually taking a screwdriver to it doesn't seem like 'fun', so no worries if you don't want to do it..I'm getting mine soon enough and can compare it to my PW :) )

I'll give it a whirl this afternoon. DS and I are heading out to the grocery store in half an hour so I can do when we get back.

Heather98012

OMG, my 3 1/2 year old daughter is already in 5t in some pants, 4t in others (& has been in 4t for quite some time). So, as you can imagine, leg support was a BIG issue for me! For lots of reasons, we went with 2 Frontiers.

Thanks for showing the side by side pics, though! Very informative for people!

zactayaus

Ok here are the pics of the GN, Frontier, and PW in highest booster mode. I was shocked at how high the Frontier went up. I actually got out the manuel again to make sure there wasn't a stopping point that I had missed because I measured a 24in height! Can this be true? The manuel said as long as the headrest is clicked into place it is ok. My 5yo does not meet either height or weight requirements to use the Frontier in booster mode.

Here are the pics:

100_1793.jpg

100_1795.jpg

100_1797.jpg

100_1798.jpg

100_1799.jpg

100_1801.jpg

100_1800.jpg

zactayaus

Heres a pic of dd and one of myself (ugh) in the Frontier in the highest booster setting. My stats are 5' 3" 120lbs. Not sure of my torso height.

100_1813.jpg

100_1816.jpg

mom23boys

Does the Frontier actually have 23" belt guides? If so, that is taller than the Monterey! WOW. Wouldn't that make the Frontier the tallest for a belt postitioning booster?

mom23boys

I checked Britax's website and it says 21.5 for the highest belt guides but it certainly looks like yours measures higher.

TerisBoys

OK - might have to re-evaluate my "Nauti is just as good as a Frontier" line of thought.

WOW to that height!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC