Car seat advice?

monsterling

Hi, I'm looking for a car seat to put in my in-law house, any suggestion? I want something that can RF to approx. 30-35lb & FF at least 55lb. Do not want to spend too much (we only go visit 2-3 times a year) but want something safe & comfy.

I find some places have special for britax marathon around $209, is this the best deal yet? It seems still too much if i only use 2-3 times a year.... any ideas? thank in advance...

ADS

BW1426

I think the Evenflo Triumph would be your best budget friendly bet if it works in your vehicle.

monsterling

What is your child's age, weight, height? & do you know the vehicle(s) year, make, model info?
My son is just 6 months, 20lbs and 30 inch.....he will outgrow the infant seat when we visit my in-law during July 4th.
If I don't remember wrong, my in-law has a Honda Accond, 1997 (may be)...

Any suggestions? (Unfortunately I miss the Learning Curve 50% chance... otherwise I can buy a True-Fit with only $100...) : (

flipper68

Senior Community Member
For 2-3 x's a year, why not bring DS's seat with you?

Otherwise, I'd say Scenera and then a high back booster. . . (He'll be a bit young to be in a booster, but if you're in grandma's car, I'm assuming there will be a 3rd adult in the back seat.

I'm trying to remember if a '97 Accord has lap/shoulder belts for a booster (if not, you have at least 2 years for them to purchase a different vehicle :rolleyes:).

monsterling

My current carseat is Britax Boulevard (I just bought it 2-3 weeks ago). I do not prefer to bring that car seat with me everytime... too big and too heavy for flight travel...

BW1426

My current carseat is Britax Boulevard (I just bought it 2-3 weeks ago). I do not prefer to bring that car seat with me everytime... too big and too heavy for flight travel...

Will the carseat stay and Grandma and Grandpa's house? If so, what will your LO use on the airplane?

monsterling

For 2-3 x's a year, why not bring DS's seat with you?

Otherwise, I'd say Scenera and then a high back booster. . . (He'll be a bit young to be in a booster, but if you're in grandma's car, I'm assuming there will be a 3rd adult in the back seat.

I'm trying to remember if a '97 Accord has lap/shoulder belts for a booster (if not, you have at least 2 years for them to purchase a different vehicle :rolleyes:).

I heards it is better to keep baby in the 5-point harness & RF as long as possible. Is the Scenera do RF? How about the high-back booster, is it the 5-point harness too? (Sorry for so many questions, I am a new mom and just not familiar with all those informations... )

BW1426

I heards it is better to keep baby in the 5-point harness & RF as long as possible. Is the Scenera do RF? How about the high-back booster, is it the 5-point harness too? (Sorry for so many questions, I am a new mom and just not familiar with all those informations... )

The Scenera harnesses to 40 lbs. but it is really reasonably priced. A high back booster relies on the seat belt to restrain the child and is not as safe as a 5 point harness.

What budget were you hoping to stay within?

flipper68

Senior Community Member

Back to the Scenera - lightweight, inexpensive.

Using a stroller for the CR or a "GoKidz"/luggage cart would make it easier.

story: My young friend has CP and younger brothers ages 3 & 1. Her family flies at least annually. When they went on vacation last year I really wanted to watch them go through the unload/security/boarding process for entertainment :rolleyes: (except I would have a hard time not helping - I've been known to help strangers with young children in airports).

monsterling

The Scenera harnesses to 40 lbs. but it is really reasonably priced. A high back booster relies on the seat belt to restrain the child and is not as safe as a 5 point harness.

What budget were you hoping to stay within?
actually, I prefer something that can use as long as possible (really do not want to buy another car seat every 2-3 years)... it would be great if something below $150.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
EFTA would be your best bet at around $130. (RF's to 35 / FF to 50)
http://www.evenflo.com/Homepage/Pro...roductid=72721ada-7ded-4e8f-9b33-b05b25860e98

Scenera:
http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product/detail.asp?ID=2695

When I suggested the Scenera ($40) and then a booster ($50 tops) or something different that has come out by then, I was guessing DS will fit RF for 2 years and another yr. FF. Then at 3+ yrs. old, a high back booster (yes, 5 pt harness is safer and what I would recommend for everyday use, but you're talking a couple x's a year and most likely with an adult beside him in the back seat, so I'd be totally fine).

In addition: It is significantly safer for DS to fly in his carseat regardless of age (turbulance). Many people say their children fly better in their CR than in the plane seat alone because they are used to riding in their seat (and being "confined" by the 5 pts. harness :rolleyes:) so in a year or two you might be more inclined to want to take a CR with you (more "justification" for a $40 scenera than a $130 EFTA).

carseatfreak

I agree that a lap baby is a very unsafe baby (and unfortunatley a lot of people believe is okay b/c it is allowed...I guess I put that along the lines of a high back booster rated for a 30 lb kid!).

We have flown quite a few times with dd and taken along her MA with not much problem at all (I wish I would've known about the belt extender but that's another story...). We strapped it to the luggage with the tether strap and I put dd in a baby carrier or stroller or something similar and we made our way to the gate. The other time dh put the carseat on the stroller and I carried dd... The little luggage cart looking thing for the seat would've been excellent...but not practical for the number of times we would have to use it. Helps if you have an extra pair of hands (and if you would be flying alone most airlines will allow your SO to accompany you to the gate with a valid id if you are traveling with an infant/toddler and carseat and such).

You should really do an internet search on FAA recommendations and flying with a lap baby...you may change your mind. Good luck.

monsterling

In addition: It is significantly safer for DS to fly in his carseat regardless of age (turbulance). Many people say their children fly better in their CR than in the plane seat alone because they are used to riding in their seat (and being "confined" by the 5 pts. harness :rolleyes:) so in a year or two you might be more inclined to want to take a CR with you (more "justification" for a $40 scenera than a $130 EFTA).[/QUOTE]

May I asked what is CR means? Sorry for my stupid question...

abacus2

I recommend getting a go-go kidz or lugage cart to tote your carseat through the airport. It works like a stroller this way. I don't recommend flying with a lap baby as allowed does not equal safe. You will eventually be using a seat for him on the plane once he turns two anyway. For just a few times a year, buying a nice carseat like you're wanting won't be very cost effective. It might make sense to take your BLVD with you until he outgrows it RFing and then buy a Nautilus to leave in Grandma's car.

monsterling

Just to forewarn you, just about every person on this board will have a handful of reasons why this is not a good idea.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=44460&highlight=turbulance

Before reading the link above, I thought it is okay and safe for lap baby in the flight (since it is allowed)... So, if I need to bring the convertible car seat on flight, I should need something light and narrow, am I correct? And, how long my baby need stay in the car seat on flight? Until 2 year old? Isn't it have some kind of 5-point harness restraint belt sell outside for use in the aircraft? I remembered I saw some post here before (but I can't find it out now).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC