Question 2000 Dodge Caravan

carlsonrochelle

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan and I would like to use the tether but there are no overhead attachments. Does anyone know whether Dodge can retro fit it and whether they charge for it? Or, can they be attached elsewhere?

Thanks!

ADS

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Yes it can be done. No, they shouldn't charge you for it. They can put 5 in. I will go downstairs and get the LATCH manual and give you the part number if someone doesn't beat me to it. Just call any GMC dealership and they can do it for you.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The server ate my post from yesterday so I'm re-posting. :) No, GMC is a General Motors division and entirely separate from competitor Chrysler corporation and Chrysler's Dodge division. :) Here's the Dodge section of the LATCH manual in .pdf format for the OP to consider printing out for reference to show the Dodge dealership's service department in case the dealership is clueless. The link includes the specific Chrysler service bulletin number for free tether anchor retrofits and also has the previously posted tether anchor part numbers for her van: http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/DODGE_6_07_web.pdf

Mommypooh

I just had my 1999 dodge Grand caravan in to put in 5 tethers. They did it at no cost to me it did take all day as they have to remove your gas tank to get to some of them, so be prepared. I almost didn't get my van back the same day I took it in. Which meant I would have been in trouble as that is the only vehicle we have that can transport all my children.

carlsonrochelle

Wow! That was helpful:)

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, they can retrofit not only the tether latches but the latches for the seat as well? Does anyone know if the seat latch can be used for kids over 40 pounds?

Thanks!

I just read in dodge manual that the latch works up to 48 pounds. I have a Britax Frontier for my 3.5 year old who is 35 pounds now but this seat allows for 5 point harness up to 80 pounds. So would it be recommended then to use the seat belt with a locking clip and a tether to secure the seat after he is over 48 pounds instead of the seat latch? Or, could you use both the seat belt and the seat latch?

Last edited:

Jeanum

Staff member
The Dodge dealership can only retrofit top tether anchors (the "TCH" in the LATCH acronym which stands for Tethers for Children) in your van, not lower anchors (the "LA" in the LATCH acronym). The 48 lbs. child weight limit for LATCH in Dodge vehicles is set in stone in terms of the lower anchors for models that have factory equipped lower anchors, at which point it would become necessary to install the child restraint using the vehicle seatbelt, not the seatbelt and lower anchors, just one or the other installation method can be utilized, not both. It is however advisable to use the top tether at any weight with the lower anchors or with the seatbelt, and to continue using the top tether beyond the vehicle's specified LATCH weight limit. This is because the tether serves as a secondary point of attachment rather than the primary, and the tether serves a beneficial role by reducing head excursion, the movement of the child's head forward/beyond the protective carseat shell, during a crash. The LATCH manual has a detailed explanation of the top tethering recommendation at: http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm Your Britax Frontier also requires the use of the tether for kids weighing 65 lbs. and up in harnessed mode. :)

Your Dodge has seatbelts which lock at the latchplate by design when the seatbelt is buckled and you shouldn't need a locking clip. This site has a primer on seatbelt types and how they lock:

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

If you find your vehicle's seatbelt slips instead of remaining locked at the latchplate, one tip mentioned in the above seatbelt primer would be to flip the latchplate over and then buckle the seatbelt to keep it locked.

my3girls

Your Dodge has seatbelts which lock at the latchplate by design when the seatbelt is buckled and you shouldn't need a locking clip.
If you find your vehicle's seatbelt slips instead of remaining locked at the latchplate, one tip mentioned in the above seatbelt primer would be to flip the latchplate over and then buckle the seatbelt to keep it locked.
I just wanted to jump in and agree with this. I drive a 2000 Caravan and didn't realize for awhile that the belt was locking without the use of a locking clip. Buckle the belt, pull it tight, and you're done. I've flipped the belt over on some seats, but most didn't need it. Here's a pic of it flipped: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/m3glaura/car seats/2000 Grand Caravan/100_1738.jpg

B

BlueEeyore

Re: 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

I had a Dodge Dealer tell me that he would install the retrofit anchors for free, but he doesn't think that they're distributed anymore. We even gave him the part numbers (that apparently are actually Plymouth Grand Voyager parts?) So, I don't need to lose hope that I can get this done?

Jeanum

Staff member
The free retrofit program is active for retrofittable Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth models as far as we know. Parts for corresponding Plymouth and Dodge/Chrysler vehicles (like the Plymouth Voyager/Grand Voyager and Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan models, for example) should be the same as they were essentially the same vehicles with different brand labeling. While the Plymouth division was phased out by Chrysler several years ago, Plymouth models should still be serviceable at a Dodge or Chrysler dealership. There is a current Plymouth section of the LATCH manual at http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/PLYMOUTH_6_07_web.pdf
that lists the same Chrysler service bulletin number and the same part numbers for retrofitting tether anchors for corresponding corporate sibling models as the Dodge and Chrysler sections of the LATCH manual, which are also online at http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/DODGE_6_07_web.pdf and
http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/Chrysler_6_07_6_web.pdf respectively. :)

You could print out the Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler sections of the LATCH manual to show to the Dodge dealership as "proof" that the tether anchor parts are corresponding across these 3 brands, and should be available. Contacting Chrysler corporate could also help to nudge the dealership into action for you, or perhaps try another Dodge dealership to help you out. :twocents:

B

BlueEeyore

Thank you! That gives me some hope. I have a 49 lbs 6 year old in a Regent. We have had her tethered for awhile now only to find out that the last time we investigated this, the dealer gave us a solution that was not a good one. We've been using a D-ring tether strap, which I just found out is NOT recommended for forward facing tethering.

C

catgrace

I just bought a 2000 Grand Caravan, and contacted the dealer about having the child seat anchors installed. They called back with a price quote per anchor, but if I understand this thread correctly, it should be at no charge to me.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where this is documented, so I can call them back to schedule the work? Thanks very much.

ginny4

in my experience in retrofitting my old 94 g caravan that the 1st one is free. (they actually put in 2 & was only reimbursed for 1). then i wanted the 3rd row done later & they said they have to charge for it AND then got the parts to only find out that the 3rd row isn't retrofitable. the instructions on the package said for the 2nd row ONLY. i read them myself too& i made sure it was the correct part & everything from the LATCH manual. so they couldn't do it.

Jeanum

Staff member
It's unfortunate that you were charged beyond the first one because it's not only the first one that's supposed to done free of charge if the anchors are retrofitted all at once. For a GM vehicle, yes, the policy is to retrofit one tether anchor for free and to charge beyond that first tether anchor, but "just one for free" isn't the policy for retrofittable Chrysler or Ford models. :( It may be a sign of the tougher automotive and economic times that dealerships or corporate are balking even more than usual at honoring the manufacturers' retrofit policies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC