Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

1998 Saturn SL1 - thoughts?

Subaru got vetoed - we both agree on this one however.

I need >25mpg, and the ability to fit at least 2 of my boys in the backseat (I know 3 across with a HWH seat is a pipedream).

I know Josh and William will need hbb's - luckily Josh still fits in the Vivo and SR/C.

Looking at it tomorrow if it doesn't sell tonight - it has minor body damage (guy sideswiped his house with it scratching the driver's side), but relatively low miles (80K original) and the asking price is very reasonable IMO.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Re: 1998 Saturn SL1 - thoughts?

Keep in mind the seatbelts that were in use during the crash may or may not have been replaced. If not, that is something you have to add in to your cost for the vehicle.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Carseat Crazy

My husband drove a '95 4-door SL1 until we moved overseas last year. A family friend has a the vehicle now. It's only needed routine maintenance, nothing major. My husband found it very roomy for his 6'4" frame, and it was the more economical of the two vehicles we own. Alas, it didn't have LATCH or tether anchors. LATCH didn't matter to me, but the tether anchors did.

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    Keep in mind the seatbelts that were in use during the crash may or may not have been replaced. If not, that is something you have to add in to your cost for the vehicle.
    It's very minor body damage IMO - the paint is scuffed. It looks like she brushed the side of the house really. I doubt the seatbelts were affected. http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/car/699405944.html

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak View Post
    My husband drove a '95 4-door SL1 until we moved overseas last year. A family friend has a the vehicle now. It's only needed routine maintenance, nothing major. My husband found it very roomy for his 6'4" frame, and it was the more economical of the two vehicles we own. Alas, it didn't have LATCH or tether anchors. LATCH didn't matter to me, but the tether anchors did.
    Tethers can be retro-fit I *hope*. I need at least one for Ryan's Nauti.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I did a LATCH manual lookup for you. Two tether anchors can be retrofit in the '98 Saturn S-series sedan for the rear outboard seating positions. There are two 8mm weld nuts in the rear filler panel, and the anchor points are covered by plastic plugs. The part number is 21048101 and one anchor retrofit should be done for free per GM Service Bulletin 99-09-40-004.

I'm almost 100% positive the '98 SL1 has a lap-only belt in the center rear seating position. It might have switchable retractors outboard, but I'm not positive on that. Some S-series have locking latchplates, and I'm not super familiar with the '98 model year. We had a '94 SL1 pre-kids, a '97 SW1 until DD1 was about three weeks old, and a 2000 SC1. The SC1 had switchable retractors and I think the '97 SW1 did, too, although my memory is a bit fuzzy. My relatives have a '96 SW1 with locking latchplates. Reliability for all of the S-series we've had was pretty bullet proof, and I the plastic body panels. Happy car shopping.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Well phooey - the guy just emailled me and sold it last night

He knew I was interested and coming up tonight.

*sulks*

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Aww, bummer. Compact cars sure seem to be hot sellers right now due to high gas prices and it's becoming a real seller's market for them. I read the other day about people who were scrambling to buy used Geo Metros due to their fuel efficiency. Some were buying multiple Metros, keeping one, and flipping the others for a premium price tag due to the high demand.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

I know. Everything is either junk or sold as soon as it lists.

I was shocked - that one was up for over a week.