Please help talk me out of a Recaro Signo

tl01

I had a Como and liked it except for the strap issues and the recall issues. I got rid of it and have a True Fit now and like it very much. Now, for some reasons I'm craving a Signo... mostly b/c of the European testing standards that it meets. I also love the recline of the Signo and figure it would be a pretty easy install in my car. I know DS wouldn't mind the head protection. Please give me some reasons to not want this seat. I keep trying to remind myself that it is a bit narrow in the shoulders and DS is 27 months and 90% for height and weight. I'm hoping that this means the seat would not be a good purchase for me. Can anyone else think of a good reason? DH will have a fit if I start asking for another seat:(

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Let's talk about EU testing standards and why they are so compelling to you? Are they using that as a big marketing ploy for this seat?

Wineaux

They include side impact testing and NHTSA doesn't. Going forward, I'd say that testing would be important to me too. I'd just like to see all the seat manufacturers test and adhere to both standards. If Transport Canada started requiring the Euro SIP test, then that might push more voluntary testing here in the USA because we share so many of the seats across the border.

tl01

Let's talk about EU testing standards and why they are so compelling to you? Are they using that as a big marketing ploy for this seat?
Not that I know of, but from what I've read... it passes their tests. I wish that companies would post their test data so we could better understand how these seats perform.. and SIP data would be great!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They include side impact testing and NHTSA doesn't. Going forward, I'd say that testing would be important to me too. I'd just like to see all the seat manufacturers test and adhere to both standards. If Transport Canada started requiring the Euro SIP test, then that might push more voluntary testing here in the USA because we share so many of the seats across the border.

They have a 'proposed' SIP standard that has not yet been adopted by ECE... so it's not really a standard they are meeting.
EU standards would include belt lockoffs (which I gather the Recaro's lockoffs don't actually lock, so they aren't meeting THAT), head protecting foam of some variety (which most seats in the US have now), no chest clip (they think they are dangerous if it takes more than one click to get a kid out of the seat), no top tether (uh... we totally kick their butts there!)... and head excursion limits similar to ours. I just don't think their standards are really all that special (and they don't encourage extended RF in most countries...).

So just basing it on it's own merits...yeah, it's a fine seat..I bet that head is going to stay contained in a side crash, for sure! But it can't be tethered RF (no biggie if you aren't RF'ing it...), and it's just kind of bulky (no biggie if it doesn't bother you).

(and sorry I quoted you W and am answering the OP at the same time!).

If you like it and it works for you, it's fantastic...but there's really nothing special about ECE safety standards that we don't have here (and ours are better in some respects... like top tethers and anti-flammable seat covers...) (Like my Start boosters? I would never use the EU version that doesn't have a top tether, the crash tests are really way scarier... the US version is way better :) )
:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC