Radian FF in a Subaru? Radian FF in general? Anyone successful?

U

Unregistered

(sorry I'm posting as unregistered - I tried to register this morning and the email confirming it never arrived)...

I've got a 38-pound 2.5 year old who is just about too big for her FPSE.

Right now, it's the height issue, so I'm moving her into her big brother's Graco Cargo this weekend to gain the strap height. However, that only gives her another 2 pounds before she's too big by weight for it.

I'd just about decided to order the Radian when I started reading all the problems people have been having getting it tight FF. A number of you have solved this by using it RF, but that's not an option with my over-35-pounder.

I will *never* be using the seat RF, and for the foreseeable future, the only car it will be in is our '01 Subaru Legacy (Wagon). I've gotten a VERY tight fit in it with every seat we've ever tried, the LATCH is centered nicely and the tethers are handily on the roof of the rear cargo area...

Anyone have experience with installations of various seats in the Legacy? Anyone have experience with a Radian in a legacy-like vehicle?

Also - when people talk about the Cosco Apex needing "tall seatbacks," how tall are they talking? Does that height include the headrest height? What if the headrest is removable -- does that count?

Sara
with DS (6 next month) - Britax Starriser
and DD (2.5) about to move from her FPSE to a Platinum Cargo (5-point-mode)

ADS
U

Unregistered

What about the husky/regent?
It would last her until 80lbs or whenever it expires as it has 20-20.5" top slots.
Babylove.com has the husky on sale for 169+ship(10-45$ depending on your location) so it is still cheaper than a regent new, but it only comes in 2 materials and they are both blue. The regent is just like the husky but it has a new name and new covers. It is about 240$ and comes in 4 patterns.

This would last her longer than the radian and you shouldnt have any installation problems(I have mine in a corolla). Since you wont need the RF option Id say it would be the better pick.

U

Unregistered

The Apex manual says on page 36: "Do not use this child restraint if the midpoint of your child's head is above the top of the vehicle seat back." And the illustration that goes with that note shows a line at the top of the ear of the child. So basically it takes putting one in your car to see if it looks like you have growing room. We use this seat in a capt chair in a van that has a movable headrest, so I believe in measuring to the top of it. This seat doesn't sit on much of a base, so it's already lower than other seats. HTH, if not, ask me to clarify!

skaterbabs

I'm not sure the Apex would help you, as it had REALLY short harness heights. Any headrest is fine as long as it's above the childs ears and doesn't interfere with installation in your vehicle.

Try it out in your car before buying, my 2 yo would be in the 3rd harness slots, and there are only 4 sets.

S

sophie627

Do you have LATCH? I have the Radian FF in my Honda Civic and it's tight as can be.
Hannah

USmominOz

Hannah,

So far you are the only one who's car can get a tight fit w/ the Radian FF, how do you like it? What age & weight is the child using it?

Thanks,
Karleen

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone - we're going HUSKY I think...

I was really excited about the narrowness of the Radian, the folding, the nice trim lines, etc.

But there's nowhere we can go to "try it on" in our car, and the return shipping would make it almost as much as buying a new Regent in teh end :(

DH and I talked about it last night -- the end decision was that the Husky on sale, even with shipping, was the same price as the place I was going to buy the Radian from (elitecarseats -- its more $$ than Albeebaby, but they have a better return policy). And the Husky has years of people's positive experience behind it. I checked the carseat compatibility database and found a number of positive entries for Subarus, saying that people got nice tight installs.

I wish we could have waited for more data on the Radian, but in the end we're going with something with more of a track record, even if it's HUGE and will take over the back seat....

Also wishing Fisher-price would get it together and get back in the carseat business. The FPSE was a GREAT seat, and I'm wishing I'd bought the FP booster when I saw them selling them out.... but again, we can't wait for the new FP/Britax seats.

U

Unregistered

I too was thinking of getting a Radian and had added it to my list of options when I was talking to parents about 'extended' harnessing. Now I'm not so sure I'll rush out to get one and am adding to my discussions that some people are having trouble with getting a good install ff, which is what all these folks want since their kids are approaching the 40 lb mark. I also tell them about the Apex but have to add the head support part too!
C.

R

rpc33

Radian FF in a 1996 Corolla/Camry

Hi,

we're very interested in getting a Radian for my 2.5 yo DS who's almost 30 lbs. we really want a seat that will last him til he's 6 yo because he's quite the hyper one in car trips.

i will be ordering the Radian from my uncle in the USA who's coming to visit us here in Asia. i've read a lot of installation problems FF and compatibility with some vehicles. we have a 1996 toyota corolla (i think it as similar seats as the camry there) and my concern is that it might not be a snug fit. our car has not latch and not tethers. there's no way for us to try the Radian in our car before purchase, and returning it would entail trans-atlantic shipment!

DS is on a FF Chicco Vector which is only til 40 lbs. and there are no other available car seats with harness over 40 lbs here in our country.

any feedback on compatibility of the Radian with a corolla will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regina

Yoshi

I have had both the Regent and the Radian in my Subaru Outback wagon (02). Both were rock-solid with LATCH. I never tried the Regent with seat belt and ended up selling it for a few reasons, long story,:) But I personally LOVE the Radian for my 3.5 yr old 39" and 36lbs. I have not been able to install it with the seatbelt, though, the (female end)seatbelt stalks are just too long and it ends up on the edge of the belt path. LATCH is great and it can be used up to 48lbs, so we're set for a while....at least till we get a different car. There is a picture in my signature with my daughter in the Radian. If you want Regent pictures, I got them, too- just let me know. HTH!!!:)

abacus2

Sorry Rebekah, but what are you talking about? The Apex DOES NOT have short harness slots, it's comparable to the Marathon if you get a 17" one, but you might get lucky and get a 19" one. Granted, it's shorter than the Husky/Regent, but it's a 65 lb seat.

skaterbabs

Yes, it does. This post was written when the Apex first came out, and at that point the model with the higher harness slots was not out yet - in fact I've never even seen the model with the higher harness slots. And even though the short Apex measures 17", DD definately has more room in the MA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC