Put your True Fit RF angle woes to rest

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
For those who may not know, the co-founder/vp of Compass (before they were bought by The First Years)
was in my CPST class. I have been in touch with him and recently e-mailed him this:

Does the True Fit really have to be at a 45 degree angle, even
for an older child who can hold their head up and prefers to be more
upright?

Page 133 of the Student Manual states (regarding RF), "As
baby ages and obtains better head control, he/she may sit more upright.
This can actually provide for improved crash protection".

I couldn't get the True Fit at a 45* angle in my xterra or Wrangler even
if I tried - there's just not enough room. So I'm feeling a little
uneasy about having to go against the mfr. instructions, and having to
install it more upright. Not only b/c it won't fit, but also b/c (DD)
would probably hate being so reclined.

Let me know what you think about this!

~S

Here is the reply that I got from him, which he wanted me to share with everyone:

Sarah, sorry for the late reply. Our seat can be 35 degrees to 45
degrees. We will phase in a change to our instructions as soon as we
can. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

J

I knew it would be just a matter of time for them to get it all figured out. It will require some more patience for this info to arrive in the new instructions, but for now, hopefully this will help put everyone's minds at ease.

ADS

aisraeltax

wow...why cant they respond to customers who call and email them? if i werent on this board i would have no idea that they are saying that now...and i have called, and emailed..w/ NO responses.

aisraeltax

well i do hope they revise teh instructions. its just soo annoying to have 2 of these seats and not get a response from them at all IRT this issue.

crunchierthanthou

Thanks for contacting him about that. Hopefully we see that change reflected in user manuals and info from CS reps soon. I knew he was in someone's certification course, but couldn't remember whose. Any chance you could get him to agree to a chat session? ;)

La-Di-Ma

I had to use a rolled up towel to get the 45 degree angle, and I found that DD sat up a bit at first because she's used to being a little more upright in her MA. But I wonder if I'd be able to access the adjuster strap on the front at all if it was at less of an angle, because it's wedged so much into the back of the seat even at 45 degrees.

jmm3

Thanks for contacting your connection. That is great news. I'm pretty sure we're ordering one in the near future.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Awesome, thanks for the definite answer. :D I figured it was just a matter of time before they clarified, but it was taking awhile....

Cedarmom

That's fabulous!

Now, did he give you any handy tricks for accessing the harness adjuster when the seat is angled at anything less than 45? :rolleyes:

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
I did ask him about the harness adjuster being a bit difficult to reach, but never really got much of an answer, and I hate to keep bugging the dickens out of him as I've been lately. I am using a smaller diameter pool noodle with DD's seat in our Jeep. It still has the upright angle that DD prefers, but it just lifts that harness adjuster up a little so it's easier to access. I also felt like having the pool noodle there gave it a little more stability in the event of rebound(as in may help to prevent the seat from rebounding as much as it would without the pool noodle):shrug-shoulders:. Otherwise, I just planned to put DD in the seat and take her out without adjusting the harness (just keeping it in "tight" position). It was difficult to do it that way when she was smaller, but now that she's a little older, it's easier.

lauralou

Please let me know too when you find out about the updated manual,Hopefully they will send them like replacing a recall or something:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC