It makes me mad...

featherhead

My nephew lives with his grandparents (my in-laws). Today I was babysitting, so I put his car seat in my car. He has a Scenera. I noticed that the harness strap, where it runs under the bottom of the seat, has been catching on two little hooks on the bottom. The harness is obviously damaged. I showed my MIL when she came to pick him up, and she said, "oh, he's almost ready for the next seat anyways". He's barely 31 lbs!!! He probably won't be 40 lbs and "technically" big enough for his booster for another 2 years. I told her that, and she said, "well, mommy has to pay for it, and she probably won't". The last time his mommy bought him a seat, it was the clek booster, and he wasn't even 30 lbs yet. It makes me so mad. Grandma is the one who takes care of my nephew, and he rides in her car, it's her responsibility to make sure he's safe. She claims that they don't have enough money to buy him a new seat. I know it's not true. Grrr

ADS

Murphy's Law

Something similar happened to my Cosco AO. I contacted Dorel and was able to purchase a new harness strap for <$10. I haven't had the same problem since and it was money well spent. Could you look into doing that?

featherhead

I actually went to the website and tried emailing (this was a while back, when I first noticed the problem starting). They never replied, and nothing was done about it.

Murphy's Law

I have the order form here (it's in the back of the manual.) The harness strap is only $2 actually. I am happy to photocopy the form and mail it to you, or you could check if the scenera has a manual with it and see if the form is in the back.

Heck, for $2 I'll order the thing for you if you want!

L-and-A

the exact same thing happened to my sons seat and they replaced the whole seat. they even let me get the cover i wanted

featherhead

Hmm, I'll see if my MIL can find the manual, but I might call the company too. If I could get a new seat, that would be great!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hmm, I'll see if my MIL can find the manual, but I might call the company too. If I could get a new seat, that would be great!

Absolutely call them. Their customer service has actually been decent the few times I've talked to them. Too bad your MIL/FIL just don't get that it's his life they're responsible for. They don't have to spend a ton of money considering they could just replace it with a Chase for almost the same price since it's on sale. (You had ordered one for your nephew to use in grandpa's truck already IIRC?)

featherhead

I'll hopefully be ordering the Chase soon, which I hope will go in the car and the hopefully new Scenera can go in the truck. I don't get it that they say they don't have money. My FIL is always working overtime. I tried my nephew in the Evenflo Vision today at Walmart (Can't find a Chase in this town). I'm assuming they have about the same THS. Anyways, he's still below the second to top slot, so I'm pretty sure that I will be ordering the Chase soon. And hopefully Dorel is good about the Scenera problem.

Mommy2Five

Cosco/Dorel Customer Service Info:

Email : Email us
Mail : Dorel Juvenile Group
Consumer Relations Department
P.O. Box 2609
Columbus, IN 47202-2609
Fax : (800) 207-8182
Phone : (800) 544-1108
(7 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST Monday through Thursday,
and 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST on Fridays)

Definitely call them! they usually have great customer service!

featherhead

I just got off the phone with John from Dorel... He's sending me a new seat!! And of course a shipping label to send the other seat back with. He said the new seat should not have the same problem, cause they changed the shell a bit.

Stretchy Glue

Honestly, call NHTSA. We've been dealing with this locally because one of our techs has had two seats do the exact same thing. NHTSA bought her seat off of her and is investigating. They need to know that this is not a minimal problem. We give 15-20 Sceneras away a month, and Cosco sent us a bunch of new straps to use for any seat we see that has this problem. They have been really good to deal with, but they do seem to be minimizing this problem. And, FWIW, the newer seat that my fellow tech got snagged even worse than the first one, after only a couple of months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC