Safety: Nautilus or Frontier?

Can I get you guys that are certified and even the ones who aren't to vote on which booster you think is the safest: Nautilus or Frontier?

I want the safest (is this a word?) car seat out there for my kids. Yesterday I chased down a Nautilus (Walmart - not the close one!) and Frontier (drove 1 1/2 hours each way with 3 kids in the car). When it comes down to it, they are both sitting in my playroom and I have no idea which one to keep. I get a rock-solid install on both of them and my kids fit okay in both. There are things that I love about both of them and things that I don't like about both. I will list them if you want and you think that it will help others.

What it comes down to (for me) is safety. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to one of my kiddos and I hadn't done my absolute best to find all of the information to keep them safe. Money is no object when comes to safety.

So I would love to take a poll, which is the SAFER booster for my kids?:confused:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've seen the side impact testing that Britax does to their TSIP seats, and the head stays SO well contained in the wings (a head flying out of the wings and striking the car interior or oncoming truck bumper is bad, obviously) that I'm very biased toward Britax. And from pictures it seems the back is taller when used as a highback booster, so you get that protection longer.

:twocents:

aisraeltax

i think both seats are safe (im not a tech) but i have a huge preference for Britax, for a variety of reasons.

Heather98012

I have both in my garage right now (although the Graco is in it's box still). I prefer the Frontier.....the TSIP, the sturdiness of it, the higher back, etc. However, if I can't get a good install in my car....well, then, what can I do, ya know?!

If money wasn't an issue & you get a good install in your car, I'd keep the Frontier. But that's just me.

BTW, what are you driving?

all together ooky

I just tried out both yesterday (in the stores) and like the Frontier better because it seems to fit older kids better (mines only four and her shoulders looked squished in the Nautilus). Now, as for safety I have no idea, but I AM a Britax fan...

Hey Rachael - will you list the safety specific reasons why you would choose the Britax? I hear some of the certified techs here say that they have seen the Britax crash tests and love that Britax shows us their testing.

For everyone else reading this thread too...Does anyone really know if the Nautilus has been tested other than the US required testing? Has anyone seen the tests done, like with Britax?

Hi Heather!

In response to:

-I have both in my garage right now (although the Graco is in it's box still). I -prefer the Frontier.....the TSIP, the sturdiness of it, the higher back, etc. However, if I can't get a good install in my car....well, then, what can I do, ya know?!

If money wasn't an issue & you get a good install in your car, I'd keep the Frontier. But that's just me.

BTW, what are you driving?

If you take the Nautilus out of the box, I think that you will be surprised at the quality of it and the features that make it hard to decide hands down on the Frontier! I was really surprised! I really fits my 3-year-old and installs so easily...plus has great cup holder. I am disappointed with the difficulty of the seat belt install with the Frontier, the flimsy arm rests, and the silly cup holders. But I am most concerned about the safety of the kids, so the features that I like or dislike are nice to consider, but I really want the safest car seat that I can get.

I am driving a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and the Frontier and Nautilus both installed rock-solid (using LATCH, not seatbelt) in the captains chair behind the drivers seat. When I get a really good install on the Frontier the cup holders pop out (annoying! didn't they test that?) into the aisle, so I need to call Britax to see if I can remove them without compromising the integrity of the chair-but that's for another thread.

To everyone else reading, please keep sending your votes!!!! I want to get as much input as possible!

Last edited:

Heather98012

Jen,

Did you try installing the Frontier with the belt? My dd is 38 lbs so I didn't even try installing with Latch. Try the belt installation; it may affect your decision to keep the Frontier if it's difficult to get in.

And let us know what happens when you try it!

loufrando

I don't own either of them, so I can't really vote, but if I were you, I'd try installing them both with the seatbelt, since you're gonna hit the LATCH limit at some point and will need to install them with the seatbelt. That might make your decision for you. ;)

ZephyrBlue

I've seen the side impact testing that Britax does to their TSIP seats, and the head stays SO well contained in the wings (a head flying out of the wings and striking the car interior or oncoming truck bumper is bad, obviously) that I'm very biased toward Britax. And from pictures it seems the back is taller when used as a highback booster, so you get that protection longer.

Yep. I've only watched the TSIP videos on the Britax website, and am very impressed. I own both a Nautilus and Frontier and I do like the way my childrens' bodies fit better in the Frontier, and that combined with the extra testing that Britax does, I'm convinced that the Frontier is a "safer" seat.

I don't like the felty-polyester-cheap-Scenera type feel of the non-mesh part of the Frontier cover, though. For $270, I'd have expected a higher-quality material, especially in comparison to the convertible seats and Regent covers :thumbsdown:

Hi again Heather!

I am so glad that you said that, both boys are almost at or past the LATCH weight limit and I tried installing it with the seat belt and it's impossible. I tried the short belt path, lap belt and lbp options and none work well. I actually can't get a good install on it at all plus have the seatbelts that they say not to use with it. How could they not have made it for one of the most popular minivans on the market? That's crazy. I will be calling the place that I bought it from and praying that they will take it back...or ebay...

I will try calling Britax tomorrow before I give up, but am not hopeful, plus all of the other things that I am not crazy about with the seat!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Dodge vehicles have a LATCH limit of 48lbs... so you have a little more time left.

I'd start by checking their growth curves... it will give you a good idea of when they will hit 48lbs... if it happens to be a good booster age, then you may be fine with the Frontier.

I can't comment on which I like better, since I haven't seen either in real life yet. :(

Heather98012

What kind of belts do you have??? I finally got mine installed using LBP & trust me, we tried everything. I got a few tips on here though, & presto! A good install using the belt.

I tried all of the short belt path options and just can't get a good install in the third row bench seat. I tried the LBP option in the third row and not only is the seat belt not long enough but the place where it would sit (outboard) doesn't have a top tether. There is only one tether in the back center, with the lap belt in the center, I can't get it in tight enough to be safe and tether it. So even if I could get a good install on the lap shoulder belt on the side, I would have to tether it to the center (Russ at Sunshine kids nixed that idea for the Radian, so I am assuming the answer would be the same for the Britax).

I still need to try the seat belt install in the captains chairs, but the problem is that when I get a good install on it there, the cup holders stick out into the center aisle of the van. I guess that I could remove them though.

I have to be able to install the seat myself, so although my husband might be able to get a better install on it - that really won't help since we play car seat rodeo at my house pretty regularly. I haven't even tried it in the Camry, that doesn't have LATCH at all.

Truth is, it's really such a pain for such an expensive seat and I am not even including the cosmetic things that I don't like (arm rests and cup holders that poke half out when I finally do get a good install).

Jen, I will send it to Canada, if you want one LOL!

I am going to keep trying later today and maybe call Britax for help, but am still not very optimistic. I will leave a message on how it goes...again, in line with the topic of the thread (I know that I am off it), I want the safest car seat for my kids, so will try again!;)

I am never going to get my house cleaned today! :eek: But I tried the install in the captains chair. It didn't work - LBP the seatbelt is too short and with the short belt path it moves about 2-3 inches as tightened down as I can get it. I am going to copy the install parts of this thread into one on the install forum too, so that anyone searching will find it under the correct post. As of now, I am going to call Britax and see if they have any suggestions and will post back when I get them.

Okay, I just got off of the phone with Michelle at Britax (installation tech). I got it installed rock-solid in the captains chair in the van with the long belt path. I had forgotten the recline the seat trick! Sure enough, I got it in tight tight tight...

She didn't have any suggestions for the third row with the lap belt, but I will put the radian back there for now. One good thing about the seat belt install, the cup holders stay in place and don't stick out in the aisle.

Just an FYI, she said that they are working on approving locking clips with the seat (I guess that they are testing it). I told her that they need ones like the ones on my Marathon (the red ones that are so so so dreamy) in the back of the seat. She said that she loves those too!!!! Solid install in any car, anywhere in seconds!

So I am going to keep the Frontier (as I think that the safe vote definitely leans that way). I have learned so much from everyone. Thank you so much.

If anyone has a vote for the Nautilus for safety, I would still like you to vote, so that others can know too!

Heather98012

So glad you got it to work!!!! I knew there had to be a way to install in a Grand Caravan...they are way too popular not to be tested in that van.

As a side note, I ordered 2 of them from Amazon at 20% off...one for each of our cars. The current one I have is going to a friend who knows I have been obsessing over which seat to buy, & since she needs a new one shortly, she is buying the tan one from me.

Glad you are happy with it, 'cause I am in love with it (arm rest & cup holder are ok, but the rest is fantastic in my book)!

carseatfreak

How did you get the 20% off? Just curious. We have a Frontier and a Nautilus and I think we're in the market for 2 more frontier's (dh and grandma and the Nautilus will be a spare). Trying to find a good deal. And...I am a Frontier fan. We've used the Nautilus for a few weeks but I don't think the height is going to last as long as the Frontier and I just don't like it...harnesses...etc...it looks small and not as comfy for 4 y/o dd IMO.

Heather98012

Amazon has them 20% off, but you have to buy 2 products to get the deal. It is only until the end of May. Enter Britax20 as the code during checkout.

Oh, & free shipping! I got two with tax for $487.84!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC